• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 chess.com Invitational

The screenshot I posted was from typing pdgalive.com into my browser.
oh yah thats what bhadella said

basically the sequence is google > search pdga live > click on first link > click on tourney > see scores

is this the easiest way to navigate this

You should try playing this course, that was the big takeaway I had, about half the drives are blind shots. Luckily, BuiltTooLong got there early and found a couple of locals for us to throw with.
I thought the use of a Tee Cam and a Catch Cam covered the throws and hole layout pretty well.
I was not impressed with the #17 they played, normally that is two holes, #16 plays from the same tee to the top of the hill (right side), a real short, putter drive (but the view from up there is pretty cool). Then #17 tee was back and left of the tee shot landing area, to the same basket. The drive that MPO had to make, blind, over the hill, over the pond, to a very narrow, perpendicular fairway was very difficult.
Yeah- seemed very awkward. I had played the course in a couple of iterations a few years ago when my now former inlaws lived in Brooksville. It was fun trying to pick out what was what on the new course based on that.

I played the McBeth Foundation Charity event yesterday at Olympus. Everyone played the FPO layout. It was great weather but a hike. I was +4 overall. I found 6 discs and lost 2. One of the discs I found was a Paige Pierce's on hole #3. My score was +22, good for 7th in MA4. Hole 12 I hit a tree limb on right side and disc was lost. Retee went OB left. All the big downhill shots have OB left. You have to have a big forehand to play this course. Most in MA4 or MA60 I play don't have the that big a forehand. When you throw back hand on these courses, even with a disc you get to turn the eventual fade flirts with OB left or are short (never in bounds) if you throw down too much. Sawgrass is properly named.

Enjoyed the watch. YouTube live R1 and Jomez R2&3. Shame Anttila didn't do so well on the round he was on coverage. Top10 finish tho. Shake those unforced errors and lets go.

Weird look for Joseph driving a non-sponsor disc off I think over half the tees. If I'm a new player, why should I look at what Kastaplast has to offer if their team player doesnt even trust only them to get the job done. Looks like whaever company makes the Destroyer and Firebird is more worth a look.

Ps. The lowest tier of DGN subscription is a bit of a insult TBH. Was going to subscribe but that annoyed me big time. Might look for a stretch of big events and get the higher tiers. Or might not.

Enjoyed the watch. YouTube live R1 and Jomez R2&3. Shame Anttila didn't do so well on the round he was on coverage. Top10 finish tho. Shake those unforced errors and lets go.

Weird look for Joseph driving a non-sponsor disc off I think over half the tees. If I'm a new player, why should I look at what Kastaplast has to offer if their team player doesnt even trust only them to get the job done. Looks like whaever company makes the Destroyer and Firebird is more worth a look.

Ps. The lowest tier of DGN subscription is a bit of a insult TBH. Was going to subscribe but that annoyed me big time. Might look for a stretch of big events and get the higher tiers. Or might not.
Definitely thought it curious when I saw an Innova stamp for Joseph's FH drives on 18. I wonder if his contract/sponsorship level was from pre-merger with Lat64/House of Discs and doesn't mandate throwing those brands only.

Not sure if you cut out some of your post but not much context to the Ps. statement about the lowest tier sub being an insult. Maybe since you are non-U.S. timezone?

Basic tier DGN subscription is discounted to $0 for PDGA members. This event's rounds had live coverage all included -
By signing up for a free DGN Basic account, PDGA members will receive automatic access to:

• First round coverage of all DGPT events
  • Full coverage of the Chess.com Invitational
  • Full coverage of the United States Women's Disc Golf Challenge
  • Full coverage of the PDGA Champions Cup
  • First round of the European Open
  • Access to live coverage of two rounds at the PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships
  • Full coverage of the MVP Open
  • First round of the United States Disc Golf Championship

I'm never really sure if I'll be able to dedicate a lot of the weekend time to watching live - especially the European side of things. I think the full first DGPT Europe event should be added to the PDGA membership since Europeans probably couldn't make use of the live coverage for the Chess.com Invitational.

I play fairly frequently with a Kastaplast sponsored player- I believe he is allowed 4 non-Kasta discs. (Number might be wrong but I think that is it.) Not overly relevant but Joey Buckets is my pick for tour break out player of the year this year.

Joey actually talks about it a little in one of the videos he did with Bodanza, don't remember which and they're all kinda long, so I can't be arsed to look it up.

But he says that he's allowed either 3 or 4 non-Kasta molds. So, in theory, all his drivers could be non-Kasta with different plastics and stages of wear (they're not, but they could).

The Lynds twins were both somewhat outspoken, but their mother was by far more vocal about it, to the point of infantilizing her own daughters, saying there was no way possible they could throw far enough to take a 4 on a 1000 foot hole, after Natalie did that.
I like the part where 'Good' parenting involves belittling your own.
Bravo.

Yeah- seemed very awkward. I had played the course in a couple of iterations a few years ago when my now former inlaws lived in Brooksville. It was fun trying to pick out what was what on the new course based on that.
Yes, I was doing the same thing.
#9 was a new hole, as I remember, we had a long walk from #8 to then #9, now #10.

The new #9 does look like a cool hole to play!

I played the McBeth Foundation Charity event yesterday at Olympus. Everyone played the FPO layout. It was great weather but a hike. I was +4 overall. I found 6 discs and lost 2. One of the discs I found was a Paige Pierce's on hole #3. My score was +22, good for 7th in MA4. Hole 12 I hit a tree limb on right side and disc was lost. Retee went OB left. All the big downhill shots have OB left. You have to have a big forehand to play this course. Most in MA4 or MA60 I play don't have the that big a forehand. When you throw back hand on these courses, even with a disc you get to turn the eventual fade flirts with OB left or are short (never in bounds) if you throw down too much. Sawgrass is properly named.

I released very early on #12 tee and the disc got lodged in a tree, at tee level. Said goodbye to that one.
As we were playing #14, I mentioned it to BuiltTooLong, he said, "get me a stick". A couple of throws later and he had knocked it down!! BTL is great to have on your card. 👍 👍

I released very early on #12 tee and the disc got lodged in a tree, at tee level. Said goodbye to that one.
As we were playing #14, I mentioned it to BuiltTooLong, he said, "get me a stick". A couple of throws later and he had knocked it down!! BTL is great to have on your card. 👍 👍
Had a wonderful day playing with ya. Hoping to get back there again soonish, I want another crack at that beast of a course.

What irked me was the basic subscription having only 1st round of many events. Who the hell pays for that? Im not a PDGA member by the way. Havent been since about 2014 or so.

The general consensus around this thread is that DGN is way overpriced.

What irked me was the basic subscription having only 1st round of many events. Who the hell pays for that? Im not a PDGA member by the way. Havent been since about 2014 or so.

The general consensus around this thread is that DGN is way overpriced.

I'd assume they aimed the Basic tier mainly to highlight the 'free' PDGA member benefit. Standard tier is probably what they anticipate most will subscribe to for some/all of the year. Premium exists to cover the costs of European Open & USDGC media rights mostly. The prior platform distributed the 'free' PDGA benefit stuff as more of a PPV access which was probably more work to manage.

Pricing isn't too outlandish if you calculate the total number of rounds a fan could watch per month on each tier. Their pricing reflects the true sustainable costs to bring a live product to the audience size. Comparing DG live coverage to ESPN+ or MLB.tv is a bit different in terms of audience/scale/advertising and coverage from static locations with wired connections to cameras and operations. Especially when the coverage from those other services also goes out on cable broadcasts and potentially subject to blackout restrictions.

Confidence on the green may make her less aggressive on tee shots and not try to park everything. She was able to park a lot of tee shots & approaches this tournament so her putting stats are a bit misleading. She didn't make a putt outside C1 all 3 rounds if the stat keeping is accurate - maybe intentionally laying up/not running those outside C1 putts? Parking 13/54 holes all 3 rounds and averaged under 10ft per putt made was a bit easier mentally.
She soft bid/lay up on almost everything from C2, I think that was partially being in the lead or in the running and not taking chances but also the greens were dangerous with rollaway potential on most holes and it was windy too....not to mention muddy which makes putting a wee bit more treacherous. Plus she was throwing so well off the tee, best in the whole field really with maybe Holyn in second, that there was no need to run everything ala Ohn.

This was the best I've seen her putt since Waco in 2020....still not quite as crisp and bold as then but much, much better than the last 4 years. The pace and velocity is up so she's heading in the right direction.

She was still as aggressive and bold off the tee as ever really, it really came down to the fact that she made 2.5 more putts or so a round than she did last year.....

Last edited:
She soft bid/lay up on almost everything from C2, I think that was partially being in the lead or in the running and not taking chances but also the greens were dangerous with rollaway potential on most holes and it was windy too....not to mention muddy which makes putting a wee bit more treacherous. Plus she was throwing so well off the tee, best in the whole field really with maybe Holyn in second, that there was no need to run everything ala Ohn.

This was the best I've seen her putt since Waco in 2020....still not quite as crisp and bold as then but much, much better than the last 4 years. The pace and velocity is up so she's heading in the right direction.

She was still as aggressive and bold off the tee as ever really, it really came down to the fact that she made 2.5 more putts or so a round than she did last year.....
Yep, going from below average to around average in putting % allowed her to capitalize on how often she is making it to putting range. 2- or 3-putting a lot will really tank the percentages so her improvement may seem a drastic jump by just examining the numbers. Probably better to just track the number of C1x/C2 attempts per round and the distances she is making from those. The new tracking in PDGA live for 'total putt' and 'average putt' distances are a bit skewed by including the bullseye/parked/drop-ins for most players but we know there have been struggles for Salonen (& Blomroos) from that range. I hope to see both golfers average putt distance climb a bit with making >20' regularly.

The Olympus course very much prioritized Tee-Green vs. Putting for strokes gained on the field. The upcoming WACO tournament has Brazos East with some similarities but this year is adding a second course on a golf course with more open shots. That may bring more of the putting into focus for both FPO and MPO. Maybe a tracker page should be started to compare ratio of strokes gained T->G vs. Putting to classify Tour/Major courses.

Latest posts