• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 chess.com Invitational

Tinkles

Birdie Member
Return of Paige and Paul.
New sponsor - I signed up for chess.com
New DGN
Looks like better weather than the mud slide all-star event

Well, not looking to good for Paige P. . Ryan in the lead makes for an interesting Chatt

I've been a chess player much longer than a disc golfer and was equal parts surprised and excited to see Chess.com as a DGPT sponsor. I've been using the site for many years and with over 100 million users and annual revenue north of 100 million a year, it's a big sponsor with a large player base to bring in to disc golf. I'm wondering who at Chess.com saw potential value in sponsoring a disc golf event though, maybe Brenan Klain the marketing director, or maybe someone in the management team there likes to sling discs when they aren't studying the chess board. Either way, good for the sport, potential new eyes for both platforms, and I kinda like the giant molded pawn aesthetics on the base of 18's basket (though not sure how a disc bouncing off it will react).

I fully expect Paige to take it gingerly and test her comfortable limits. While I don't expect her to play poorly, I also don't expect her to be near the top. Some conservativeness off the tee with the turf tees that seems kinda slick even without the rain might force her to play a lot closer to par and rely on safer shots and hoping to make longer putts.

I would expect much the same from Paul. A Paul at 75% with his course knowledge and history at (Gran Canyon), now Olympus is still better than a lot of the field, but I don't expect him to be pushing for the win. I'd be happy with him somewhere around the top 10 and after 3 days saying that he feels good and didn't hurt himself further or have any set backs. The course requires a lot of distance and multiple shot shapes so it'll be interesting to see how the shoulder holds up.

Course looks good for the amount of time they had to get it ready and finally being able to make it a dedicated year round course. I imagine it will only get better with time as it beats in, amenities are added, and the property gets trimmed up and a few improvements are made. But certainly looks great now that the monsoon is gone.

Can someone post top 5 leaderboard for FPO?

Cutting out UDisc sux.
1708705473541.png
PDGA live scoring appears to be very similar to UDisclive so far. Couple small differences but easy to follow and is tracking both shot by shot stats and total stats individually. There's tabs for stat comparison verses the rest of the field (during play), and maybe that is available after everyone finishes as well?

I've been a chess player much longer than a disc golfer and was equal parts surprised and excited to see Chess.com as a DGPT sponsor. I've been using the site for many years and with over 100 million users and annual revenue north of 100 million a year, it's a big sponsor with a large player base to bring in to disc golf. I'm wondering who at Chess.com saw potential value in sponsoring a disc golf event though, maybe Brenan Klain the marketing director, or maybe someone in the management team there likes to sling discs when they aren't studying the chess board. Either way, good for the sport, potential new eyes for both platforms, and I kinda like the giant molded pawn aesthetics on the base of 18's basket (though not sure how a disc bouncing off it will react).

I fully expect Paige to take it gingerly and test her comfortable limits. While I don't expect her to play poorly, I also don't expect her to be near the top. Some conservativeness off the tee with the turf tees that seems kinda slick even without the rain might force her to play a lot closer to par and rely on safer shots and hoping to make longer putts.

I would expect much the same from Paul. A Paul at 75% with his course knowledge and history at (Gran Canyon), now Olympus is still better than a lot of the field, but I don't expect him to be pushing for the win. I'd be happy with him somewhere around the top 10 and after 3 days saying that he feels good and didn't hurt himself further or have any set backs. The course requires a lot of distance and multiple shot shapes so it'll be interesting to see how the shoulder holds up.

Course looks good for the amount of time they had to get it ready and finally being able to make it a dedicated year round course. I imagine it will only get better with time as it beats in, amenities are added, and the property gets trimmed up and a few improvements are made. But certainly looks great now that the monsoon is gone.
Erik Allebest is apparently into DG and a big PMcB fan, he was on The Upshot podcast a couple of weeks ago.

Other than losing her disc, did she get a lost disc penalty?
Yes, she had to retee after stomping through the over 12"+ of water for 10 minutes. While Ohn took relief right behind the water with no penalty.

i think they did (ohn used it)... problem was they couldn't find the disc
If it had been declared a Relief Area they did not need to find her disc for her to play from where it entered it. (Relief Area plays same as OB but with no penalty attached- OB trumps lost.) They played it as Casual Water.

Yes, she had to retee after stomping through the over 12"+ of water for 10 minutes. While Ohn took relief right behind the water with no penalty.
I don't believe the player takes a lost disc penalty there if the group believes it's likely the disc is in the "relief" water. When a disc is not found and the group agrees the disc landed in OB water, the player gets the OB penalty and not the lost disc penalty. The same idea should apply to relief water. If group cannot find the disc and it's clear or likely the disc landed in the relief water, they should only get relief with no penalty even though the player loses the disc.

If it had been declared a Relief Area they did not need to find her disc for her to play from where it entered it. (Relief Area plays same as OB but with no penalty attached- OB trumps lost.) They played it as Casual Water.
ahhh. can you declare all standing water as relief area?