• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good Overhand Discs

Depends on what you want distance/shape-wise.

Overstable discs will tend to take more space to roll and generally travel further.

Stable/understable will flip sooner and begin to drop a bit sooner as well.

I use a new, flat firebird for distance thumbers but frequently pull another disc out if I want a shorter flight.

Ruby ? .................................Ruby ? ........................................Ruby ?

teachermirror.jpg

talon but they are oop, so I say use and xtreme oh yeah the good ones are OOP as well. Well use a predator, oh yeah the $$$$ ones are the old school OOP ones. I had success with a gateway spirit that was broken in, basically anything that is pretty overstable even fairway drivers are good like a viper.

The only disc that I know of that is designed for overhand throws is the Aerobi Epic. It will flip like any other disc, but will then fly like a disc again. I've seen people throw these 450' plus. I have one, but I can't make it work, but then I don't throw overhand.

If you are just starting disc golf I would recommend that you focus on throwing forehand and backhand, and save the thumbers for getting out of trouble. You may be able to throw farther overhand now, but that will quickly change with practice.

The only disc I'll use for OH shots a Star Wraith... (Has to be a pre-kenny)

Z Flick. Easiest disc to learn the shape of a tommy or thumber. Thin, flat rim without the huge depth of a wider rim disc like a Wraith/Boss/Destroyer/etc.

12x Champ Firebird (Circle KC stamp) - ultra flat, ultra OS, and the best OH disc $13 can buy.

Get yourself an epic and throw it as high and hard as you can. You will have no idea where its going to go, but it will go far lol. Man what a crazy disc. Biggest POS ever

I will 3rd the Z Flick. I use a 150 class. I can generally get it to go where I need to with minimal effort.

I started off with a Banshee. Great overstable disc for thumbers that's a bit lower speed so I could get a better grip on the smaller rim. I now use my firebird for overhands in an effort to cut molds from the bag.

The more overstable a disc, the better it will be for distance. Between Flicks, Firebirds and Banshees being in my bag at one point or another, I got my longest thumber with a 10x KC Whippet.

Short holes with a right dogleg? Try a neutral to understable mid or putter. I used to thumb a Buzzz on holes like this. I wish I had discovered the Wedge before I destroyed my shoulder.

You damn kids with your thumbers and forehands and healthy shoulders mumble mumble mumble

The more overstable a disc, the better it will be for distance. Between Flicks, Firebirds and Banshees being in my bag at one point or another, I got my longest thumber with a 10x KC Whippet...

For thumbers, this. A Whippet and Reaper are my two favorite thumber discs.

What are some great overhand discs for begineers?

For a beginner I would say use something not SO overstable. All those crazy flat overstable discs are going to take along time to pan out then over, until you understand the angles and the power needed to throw them properly. Try a beast, starfire, wraith/surge etc etc. then go from there.

For a beginner I would say use something not SO overstable. All those crazy flat overstable discs are going to take along time to pan out then over, until you understand the angles and the power needed to throw them properly. Try a beast, starfire, wraith/surge etc etc. then go from there.

In this instance, I would recommend a TeeBird. I use a Champ for line drive skip thumbers. Nice, tidy barrel roll and easily controlled.

Quantum Orion LF by Millennium is one of the best stable accurate overhead discs ever made.

Bit less stable than a Firebird, but still a easy to predict loop/turn/fade, whatever you want to call it. Sneaky long out to 350ft for me