• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good place in the states for year-round disc golf?

Florida. Period.

The Clearwater area, for example, is awesome for disc golf. In my humble view, warm is always better. I live in Kentucky (which is not the north) and I have been freezing my *** off. I go stir crazy by the end of Feb or March every year and usually try to head to Florida for golf or disc golf. I am older and I do not play in the cold like I did when I was twenty years younger (or even 10 years). I use to play golf in the winter when there was still a little snow on the ground with orange golf balls. Not any more. If I had the professional opportunity to move to warmer climate I would do so. I love Arizona but I don't know anything about its disc golf and golf is more expensive in my experience. Although I usually tell everyone when it is cold that "I am basically on my way to Arizona". (I plagarize the line from a movie, 'Support your Local Sheriff').

I don't think I could live permanently in a place with no elevation. I love hills and mountains, and flat disc golf gets really boring after a while. All the Florida course pictures I've seen show no elevation changes whatsoever.

The only way you get elevation in Florida is standing on an alligator or playing Da Canyon once per year.

Man people need to dress warm and get outside. I almost prefer winter golf. Other then searching for discs occasionally its a blast. Winter wonderland. Ill take snow over wet n muddy any day. Year rd disc golf is anywhere. Hell disc golf should be in the winter Olympics. We've mastered warm clothing for millions of years. Anyone that complains about cold probably refuses to wear long underwear. Thats your mistake.

Tennessee. great land, great people, better weather, and close enough drive to the gulf coast in the winter to play some flat short courses.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Texas yet, but here in Austin on January 8th I am sitting outside in a T-shirt (it was pretty cold earlier in the week). Austin also has a lot of really good courses, and in general is a cool place to be. No state income tax is nice too.

Can't really go wrong with the Carolinas, North or South. I lucked out with my current duty station here in Wilmington. Got a phenomenal home course, another really nice course, and a decent putt-putt course all within 30 minutes-ish of home.

Of course, being a few short hours from Charlotte, Raleigh & Greenville -- with all the outstanding courses in those cities -- makes for a wide variety of weekend adventures available too.

Sigh.....I love the south.

The only way you get elevation in Florida is standing on an alligator or playing Da Canyon once per year.

LOL....am currently exhausted from climbing those particular Florida mountains, hoping to recover in time for the tournament tomorrow.

.....Turkey Lake, in Orlando, has a little bit of elevation, though.

Love me some turkey lake!

LOL....am currently exhausted from climbing those particular Florida mountains, hoping to recover in time for the tournament tomorrow.

.....Turkey Lake, in Orlando, has a little bit of elevation, though.

I am a West Tampa resident, myself. Clearwater has a great scene with Cliff Stephens (my favorite course down here) and Coachman, along with the store of course. Then, Taylor Park just down the road in Largo has a great scene and good course (just not the challenge of cliff). Champ has a new course approved to go in, in West Tampa that will be a par 64 I think he said, plus a 9 holer right on the bay that is going to 18, soon, too. Orlando is 90 minutes away with 5 great course in the area (Turkey Lake, Barnett, Debary).

Sarasota is also only 90 minutes away. Plus, some others I'm missing. The scene is plentiful, and, expanding. The big negative is..

NO ELEVATION. The difficulty is replaced with a lot more water hazards, and, animal hazards.

You play in the morning in the summer months or evening at sunset, you'll be fine. It did get down to 38 the other night down here. But, as I type it's 70 degrees on the balcony. I love it, and can go find elevation not too far north via long road trip, if needed. That's my longwinded two cents of the evening.

For 'Merica!

Check the PDGA calendar to see which places have tournaments practically every weekend, summer or winter. One of them is Dallas/Fort Worth. More than 60 courses in the area and tournaments all year. :thmbup:

Picnic Island, FL

Sunset rounds have a special thing to 'em... Those are some pics I gathered while playing a round.
picnichole4basket.jpg

picnichole8oceanob.jpg

picnichole8tee.jpg

Last edited:
Come to the Monterey Bay in California. Got the 4 Worlds courses from 2011 and the weather pretty much stays between 40 and 80 year round.

Yup we play all year round, a great club that plays weekly(twice a week in the summer), Sunday Dubs at Oaks, and plenty of tournaments.
There are a few more courses around here other than the big 4, with another getting ready to open up in Feb. The courses are never packed like some areas except DeLa but not terrible. Plus there's a lot more stuff to do if you have any other interests.
Oh ya, it never rains also, so we Truley get to play all year round!

Playing year-round has little to do with weather but the dedication of the local DG scene such as Minnesota, not just the Twin Cities.

San Diego and San Fran's courses are too crowded and mediocre at best. They love to eat their own farts and brag about Morley Field and Golden Gate Park too much. Try Portland. There's a mild winter, a ton of courses, and the nearby Midwest has a lot to offer . 2 hour drive to Seattle and 5 to Spokane. They're both great spots for road trips and relatively close too.

The carson city area in NV is one of the best kept secrets in the US IMO.Most people think Las Vegas and desert when they think of NV. Sure carson is high desert but has no humidity n is only 20min drive to Lake Tahoe where its a perfect mid 70's in the summer. There are 5 courses around the lake which are playable from May thru November n sometimes like this yr they are still playable now. Turtlerock is a half hr drive and is playable most of the yr. Truckee, just north of Tahoe has 2 courses and when the snow is really bad Dayton valley and now The brand new Indian Hils course just a couple miles south of Carson are both playable all winter with highs averaging 45-50 degrees, Another course in carson will be in place about a yr from now.

It's all about perspective. Yesterday was about 28 and windy here, and I played 3 rounds while bagging two courses. No gloves and a baseball cap, with about 6-15" of snow on the ground in almost all places.

Latest posts