• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good starting set of discs?

I have recently picked up the addicting hobby of disc golf and look forward to an inexpensive way to have outdoor fun and socialize.

My question is what discs do you recommend to a beginner?
my current set is

Driver - Ching Velocity (got it out of a bargain bin, have no intention to use it)
Beast - did research and it looked to be a beginner friendly disc

MId Range - innova Skeeter - my favorite disc right now. I can control it pretty well

Putter- Discraft Elite Pro APX - got it from a friend for free. I honestly have no problems with it. Distance putts is pretty hard but it is very accurate and easy to control

Your pretty much on your way with the Skeet, Beast and APX. I've never thrown an APX but putters is putters. You might want to check out a Fairway driver like a Teebird and a more stable midrange like a roc or a buzzz

I suggest a cheetah (good for both drives and mid approaches), Aviar P&A for your putter, and a hydra. The hydra works well for a back up putter and some nice mid shots.

I like the suggestions for the discs. I would only add the Skeeter as a mid-range if you don't like the Shark. I would also recommend playing for several months with only two discs - a midrange and a putter. I make this suggestion a lot, because I think that playing with only a midrange and a putter forces you to learn different ways to throw discs. Until you learn how to throw lots of different kinds of shots, getting more discs won't help you. Good luck!

Keep the Skeeter. I love that disc to and pray they make it in Champion plastic some day. I would also reccomend getting a TeeBird or TL. Finding a putter is a matter if finding what works best for you so find somewhere that you can try a bunch out and go with what works. Drivers, well the beast may be a little much right now but I am sure you should keep it because soon enough it will be good. You might want to find a more over stable driver as well if you are planning on learning to throw forehand. Just a thought.

If I could go back and start my DG history over again I wouldn't have messed with drivers for a while. Lately I've been throwing nothing but mids and putters backhand and they can fly pretty darn far and easier for me to control. If I were you I'd leave the putter alone if you like it (don't try and fix what isn't broken) and just focus on different mids first. I like the Buzzz and Aurora MS personally, but there is a good variety out there to try. The first driver(sorta) I've been able to control consistently is a Stratus.

Get a...
Valkyrie
Teebird
Roc or Buzzz
Aviar

Plastics depending on how much you want to spend. This is what I would call a starter set.

I also think the Skeeter is one of the worst disc made.

i always tell my friends who are beginning to go ahead and get a xcaliber for sidearms/flicks and a desteroyer for backhand throws in a heavier weight like 175 until they get the hang of lighter differently stabled discs.

-trev

I gotta second the Teebird suggestion, as well as the Roc.
The Valkyrie is an awesome disc, but, with a Teebird in the bag its a bit redundant.
A trio of Teebird, Roc, and any putter you can ring chains with is pretty much all you need.
Just my two cents...

i would get you a JLS, i think that disc is the best investment for anyone just starting out and will continue being usefull after you improve .

If you play wooded courses stay away from cheaper plastics itll only hurt your game in the long run.

I agree with the Teebird and the Valk suggestions and you can't go wrong with a Aviar but I am not as big of a fan of the Shark. I would strongly suggest the Buzz. Never thrown a Roc but if it is as good as everyone says you should get one of those too.

I'd just use the Velocity, Skeeter and APX until you're throwing the Velocity close to or over 300' and then reevaluate your disc choices. While they may not be the exact discs I'd recommend, they'll work just fine and it's not worth going out and buying new discs.

I'd keep the Beast on the shelf until you're getting fairway drivers at least 320'.

i always tell my friends who are beginning to go ahead and get a xcaliber for sidearms/flicks and a desteroyer for backhand throws in a heavier weight like 175 until they get the hang of lighter differently stabled discs.

-trev

Goodness NOOOOOOOOO

These are not beginner friendly discs and will do NOTHING to teach you about controlling disc mechanics.

The discs you have to start with are fine. For an intermediate speed - controllable disc between your beast and Skeeter, try a cobra or stingray. It'll go further than your skeeter, and should be easier to control than your beast.

Destroyers and XCalibers are very high tech discs and require advanced skills to make them work properly.

Being the kind of guy who bought high-speed drivers for practically no reason I would say don't bother.

I would go with nothing faster than a gazelle/cheatah etc... to start with.

I have some nice pretty drivers that are good for nothing but to look at right now...I guess I have "invested" in them...haha.

I have not tried one, but I am really intrigued by the Latitude 64-Core and would definitely pick up a wizard or something along those lines...Aviar is nice too if you already have one.

Goodness NOOOOOOOOO

These are not beginner friendly discs and will do NOTHING to teach you about controlling disc mechanics.

The discs you have to start with are fine. For an intermediate speed - controllable disc between your beast and Skeeter, try a cobra or stingray. It'll go further than your skeeter, and should be easier to control than your beast.

Destroyers and XCalibers are very high tech discs and require advanced skills to make them work properly.
I think he's telling his friends that so he can keep beating them. ;)

Latest posts