• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good with shoes, but what about socks!?!

jrawk

* Ace Member *
What socks you guys using?

Haynes and Fruit of the Lomb brand socks aren't lasting more than 4 full days of golf. I get holes in the heals and toes from foot pivoting. As soon as the hole opens up, my feet begin to blister right away. Doesn't matter what shoe/boot, how tight they are, and what kind of insole i have. I've been buying socks at an alarming rate and my feet are in terrible shape.

So my question is, are there athletic socks specially designed for foot-pivoting? Seems like baseball and basketball athletes might face the same problem. I prefer high-ankle socks for golfing for added shin protection (bugs and thorns). and prefer thicker socks for the extra padding and comfort.

I wear adidas soccer socks... A local discount store has them for 2.50 a pair, and since I grew up wearing them for 15 years they seem to be comfortable for me. They also do the job protecting against poison ivy (its horrible around here).

In the winter I wear EVS Thermal socks. They are made for motocross riders but I love them. They are really warm and soft!

Never had issues with either as far as quality goes.

For winter, I have Neoprene socks that I wear over thermals; obviously too warm for summer but I can walk right into water and not think anything of it, never feeling the water at all.

Im wondering if those neoprene socks would be too hot in summer by themselves but they are awesome at keeping your feet dry.

I do wear my thermals in the summer also (if i run out of my other socks). They dont seem to make my feet sweat that much really.. I was surprised.

I use smartwool socks.
The extra padding in the heels, balls of the feet, and along the sides of the toes provide extra comfort while the top gives extra breathability.
Not the best water option but better then cotton and more comfort then the water options.

I use smartwool socks.
The extra padding in the heels, balls of the feet, and along the sides of the toes provide extra comfort while the top gives extra breathability.
Not the best water option but better then cotton and more comfort then the water options.

+1

Yes, not waterproof, but wool wicks way better than any synthetic I've ever tried, so great with sweat in the summer and when combined with gore-tex shoes in the winter.

And durable as hell.

Four full days of golf for a brand new pair of socks? Dang, I'm trying to imagine your footwork in my mind and it's pretty entertaining. :)

As for the topic, I have found my Adidas socks to be the best, but I pretty much grab the first pair I see. Changing shoes had a fairly significant impact on my game, but I'm yet to see the socks make a huge difference. However, the right socks for the right weather can certainly help with your comfort, which can have an effect on your golfing.

One more vote for Smartwool socks, especially in the winter or on really long days, they help prevent blisters, wick the moisture away from your skin, and don't bunch and get uncomfortable when they are wet.

I say boy, I also wear Smartwool socks most the time, especially when playing all day. I also play sometimes in Hanes/UA dry wicks, but don't have a problem with holes unless they are old, like over 1 year.

Most of my socks are adidas. They get the job done fine.

But, if you like a thicker sock, I highly recommend Feetures! I run about 50-60 miles a week year round and the person at my local running running store recommended these. They're incredibly padded and comfortable, I don't go on a long run/race without them.

Merino wool socks are great in cold weather. In warm weather, I generally wear a pair of plain old cotton crew length socks (mid-shin length). I don't generally wear holes in my socks nearly as fast as you say you do, but it may be easy to alleviate the problem by buying name-brand socks like UA or Adidas, as some have suggested, and make sure you're wearing shoes that fit well.

Four full days of golf for a brand new pair of socks? Dang, I'm trying to imagine your footwork in my mind and it's pretty entertaining. :)

As for the topic, I have found my Adidas socks to be the best, but I pretty much grab the first pair I see. Changing shoes had a fairly significant impact on my game, but I'm yet to see the socks make a huge difference. However, the right socks for the right weather can certainly help with your comfort, which can have an effect on your golfing.

a "full" day is 3-4 rounds of 18. (or like last Saturday I played 72 holes at Charlotte courses). Those cotton socks didn't make it. :eek:

I will try some smartwool socks. :thmbup:

my wife worked at a magazine here in austin a couple years back and she'd get all kinds of samples. I got a few pairs of drymax socks and they are kind of tight but they work.

in the summer, i wear knee high socks during every round even though i don't have any outdoor allergies because i enjoy looking like a douche bag

;)

in the summer, i wear knee high socks during every round because i enjoy looking like a douche bag

;)

diadora blues ftw.
Diadora%20Squadra%20Sock%20Navy.JPG

i've been known to play in sandals. not nice sandals either. like a 4 dollar pair that barely stay on my feet when i drive

I can't imagine why a sock...any sock...would only last 4 days. What's your shoe size vs. the size of the socks?

Latest posts