• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gov't shutdown effecting your course?

Sugar Bottom and Turkey Creek courses closed here around Iowa City, both Corps of Engineer operated. Lucky for me, Peninsula DGC is still open.

A planned local course here is on BLM land, so the shutdown has temporarily stopped the planning process in its tracks. We're still hoping to be on time for on-the-ground work in the Spring.

Old Post Park in Russellville, AR is closed because it's Corps of Engineers ran, and it's not the locked gate that's going to stop me, it's the tickets for trespassing that are getting handed out.

Lake Sonoma is still open due to a loophole. But it may get shut soon. Playing on closed federal property is considered trespassing so consider wisely while this temporary shutdown lasts

For me...

One of my favorite local courses is a Corps of Engineers. Walnut Ridge just north of Des Moines, Iowa is closed. ( http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=64 ) Front gate is locked so there is no access to the parks roads. Slight bummer is that the last open day of the season was to be October 6th.

Is a locked gate going to actually stop you from playing the course?

Not like a ranger is going to stop you...

Locked gates and rangers generally never stop people when the park closes for the season either.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23014

I was joking. My friend is a Forest Ranger out west and he's out of work for the time being.

Since the shutdown every course near me has had an influx of people playing disc golf in black suits. Not to mention the parking lot is full of black on black Suburbans and Tahoes.

I know it's easy for me to say, but I would play those courses anyway. The Feds simply can't afford to police them.

A few years ago NY closed some parks due to lack of funding. In particular, my home course, Joseph Davis State Park was closed. The grass grew quite long but all the regulars still played.

The Federal Government is afraid that we can live without them and their outrageous overspending. 17 trillion in debt and counting.

Latest posts