• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

great discs for the wind?

Best discs for the wind

• Firebird

Votes: 74 46.5%
  • Teebird

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • predator

Votes: 55 34.6%
  • drone

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • zone

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • gator

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • banshee

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • teerex

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Thanks for not putting an eagle on there because they are tits in the wind. Are we talking head wind or tailwind?

Omg, where is the love for the max? Champion max is a must have for anyone that plays a lot in tje wind as I do here in west Texas. Fast enough to still get decent distance and not flip out. For all those saying teebird, wtf are talk taking about? Maybe the wind only gets up to 10mph where you live. If you tried throwing a tb into a good west Texas you would have a roller for sure, even if angled it straight up and down.

My 12x Champ TB is not bad in the wind, but I only voted Teebird because my primary wind disc was not on the list. Why are their some mids like Gator and Drone but no Hornets or Wasps? Hornet is more like a driver anyway. At least that's what I use it for if it's really windy.

I play with a guy who uses an Avenger SS for nearly every tee shot. The other day we were facing a good stiff forty to fifty mile headwind gust and that thing flipped immediately into a roller. He was pissed. I laughed. He had no idea why so I had to explain it.

I have had great results with a XxX and Blitz from Lat64 but in my bag my headwind discs are Predator, Drone, and Zone. They all fight hard and cover the distances I need. I've used a new Z Force with good results as something faster.

I don't play much in wind, but the times I have played in steady 20-25 mph winds, I find a 175g Star Wraith works pretty well for me. I have yet to figure out how to putt or throw a solid mid range shot in the wind though.

For all those saying teebird, wtf are talk taking about? Maybe the wind only gets up to 10mph where you live. If you tried throwing a tb into a good west Texas you would have a roller for sure, even if angled it straight up and down.

My 175 & 172 champ Teebirds will behave very well up to about 20mph - better into a headwind than a crosswind from the fade side, of course. I usually grab another disc, but the 'birds will handle that if you need them to and have reasonably clean form and nose control. In those winds I don't think I've ever put more than about 45° hyzer on them. It's pushing the mold, but it will do well until you screw up...then you'll pay for it. lol. Something a little beefier is better when the winds get to 20mph and higher. I think the Max is way overkill for open distance, but it has other good uses.

Pro Vulcan

I know you will think im crazy but with a left to right head wind i throw this disc all the time. Put it on a severe hyzer angle and watch it flip up and hold the line for a Big D drive. I have a pro that is beat that i cant use but a new one works great.

I've got to say, with all the great minds on this sight, I'm a little disappointed that NOBODY mentioned a DGA Tsunami. I'm in western Wyoming dealing with headwinds at 35+ at least 3 or 4 days a week, and a Tsunami is plain amazing. I max out at around 425', and even with full snap into one of those headwinds, I've NEVER flipped it.