• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greater Lemon Lake area- advice?

WastedSpace

Bogey Member
The annual trip is to Lemon Lake this year (thanks for all the help on Lehigh Valley last year, and Tahoe before that), and while we'll (same four guys for the last 12 years) be focusing most of our time on the Worlds site, there'll be time to get out and about.

What's most worth our time? Joliet? Peru? Probably won't go any further than that.

Timeline is August 2-6, with at least two full days at LL. We'll be camping, and one night of glow is an absolute must.

Will have many more questions that I'll surely pester you with as the days get closer, but I like to have my itinerary options planned out, especially since we'll be making camping reservations.

Thanks in advance-

Make sure you hit Rogers Lakewood, it's not far from Lemon Lake and IMO it's better than any single course at the LL complex. Joliet and Peru are both fun day trips, you can hit the highlights of either in a quick day trip. I'd also make sure to play both Silver and Gold since you'll have plenty of time at Lemon Lake, Gold is a tough beat down, Silver is the shorter version but it's still really well designed with some great technical challenges.

Rogers Lakewood is a must hit.

Re: glow golf, camping, and Peru area....personally I'd suggest skipping Peru and going instead to Logansport. Camp and glow golf at France Park. It's not necessarily a world beater, but a super super fun course (especially glow) that's a bit rough around the edges. You can snag campsites that are literally a minute's walk away from the first tee.

Edit: Just in the interest of full disclosure, I probably like France Park more than most people...so take that for what it's worth. You also won't run into much (if any) traffic out there, which to me is a huge plus over, say, trying to fight thru the mobs at Maconaquah or Mississinewa or Honey Bear in Peru.

Playing France Park for the first time, at night, would be IMPOSSIBLE without a guide.

Awesome. Keep it coming. Especially interested in must-plays in the area, though I'm not sure there are many. Stay tuned for lots of questions about bugs, poison ivy, camping preferences, etc.

Thanks too for the glow consideration. Last year we played Jordan Creek in Allentown during the day, then lit it up before going to dinner. Playing it just prior in the light was a great idea, but I knew it'd be worth it to play during the day. Is France great in the light, or is it one of those lights-off kinda situations? :rolleyes:

I really like France Park in the day. Alan's correct, though...you'd best play it during the day at least once before going at night. Probably not an issue if you're camping and have enough time for a daylight round prior.

I do know France inside and out, and actually guided Alan during his first and only glow round there...it IS a bit daunting at night, which is why it's pretty awesome epic. If you're NOT looking for adventure style golf, then stay away. :)

Another glow suggestion: I've never glowed at Rogers Lakewood, but from what I understand the park is open until like 10 or 10:30ish...might be enough time for a glow round if you go fast. Just a thought. Maybe one of the Valpo locals can confirm?

Joliet golf is better than Peru golf. I always inform golfers that 3 Floyds brewpub is close to Lemon Lake, look up Zombie Dust which is rated 100.

In Joliet I'd look at Highland, West Park, Trinity Links, Community Park and the Oaks.

Joliet golf is better than Peru golf. I always inform golfers that 3 Floyds brewpub is close to Lemon Lake, look up Zombie Dust which is rated 100.

I'd agree with this statement (Joliet > Peru), but just barely.

Highland is clearly the best of the bunch, but I'd take any of the Peru courses (esp. Maconaquah and Mississinewa) over West Park or the Oaks.

Also, ZD is definitely awesomesauce...but I prefer the Gumball Head. :) ;)

3Floyd's brewpub food is ridiculously awesome. :thmbup:

Thanks for the tip on 3 Floyds- is it really as busy as they say? Like all the time? We've got no time to sit around for an hour waiting for a table- there's too much disc to be had.

France Park looks interesting for disc. We're always up for an adventure, especially if it's off the beaten path for glow. Lots of campers there? In other words, the best glow courses are the ones where we feel like we're all alone out there.

Rogers is a must. Got it. And we'll definitely be playing all of Lemon Lake- that's why we're going. Any others weigh in on Joliet vs. Peru?

Even if the campgrounds are packed at France Park, the course is very nicely secluded. That said, there's not usually a ton of campers unless it's a holiday w/e or whatever.

Play the orange tees if you play it at all. :)

I agree...,Joliet is better than peru. My fav 3 in Joliet are community, West and highland. Peru is good too, but i think pieradise might have closed for good. Both areas are very busy. 3Floyds beer is available at all liquor stores around lemon. Crown brewery is only 10 min from lemon and not nearly as busy as floyds. They share a building with carriage court pizza, which has really good food. Figure8 in valpo has awesome beer too. If u go to france park, u should go to camp cullom too. Feel free to pm me with any questions

^Good idea re: Camp Collum. I 2nd that.

What's up with Pieradise? That's the first I've heard anything about it closing. :\

Thanks for the tip on 3 Floyds- is it really as busy as they say? Like all the time? We've got no time to sit around for an hour waiting for a table- there's too much disc to be had.

France Park looks interesting for disc. We're always up for an adventure, especially if it's off the beaten path for glow. Lots of campers there? In other words, the best glow courses are the ones where we feel like we're all alone out there.

Rogers is a must. Got it. And we'll definitely be playing all of Lemon Lake- that's why we're going. Any others weigh in on Joliet vs. Peru?

Youre going to get more courses in a tighter in Joliet. West, Highland, Round Barn and Community are all within 15 minutes of each other.

Three Floyds would be best during the day, on a weekday. Make sure to give them a call before you plan on going, they have been shutting down the pub for construction lately.

^Good idea re: Camp Collum. I 2nd that.

What's up with Pieradise? That's the first I've heard anything about it closing. :\
When i played last year's pieradise open, the owner said it would be the last tournament there. i believe the property is up for sale but i cannot confirm that. the Indiana disc golf Hall of Fame is there so idk what the current status is.

Ah, thanks for the heads up, guys.

Sorry to hear Alan's course is closing. I only met and talked with him a couple of times but he seemed like a really nice guy.

i played honeybear a couple weeks ago and they said the property had sold and the new owners were removing the baskets. i never got to play it, oh well.

Damn. :\

I mean, it wasn't a world beater or anything...SUPER flat except one hole. It was the variable layouts that helped keep it fresh and bumped up the rating in my book.

But still, that just makes Peru a little less of an area to hit...it was such a nice cluster of courses. I'm guessing it's also going to mean a lot more crowding at Maconaquah. :gross:

Latest posts