• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greenwood Village (Denver), Colorado

klay

Eagle Member
From a post on the Mile High Disc Golf Club forums:

Whoo Hoo! Another course planned.

While I've been working with the Village on their new traffic operations systems, I've been discussing with them about their plan to install a new 18 hole disc golf course in their Cherry Creek open space area. A date has not been given yet as they are still working on the final funding allocations.

The park that they are planning will be a multi-use area with a climbing wall/bouldering area, playground, disc golf course, over 5 miles of mountain biking skills trails area and open space. From the master plan drawing that I was given, it looks like the course will be separated from the climbing wall/playground areas. They plan to put in all new baskets and tee pads are supposed to be the hardened rubber material that they have used for running trails in the area. The only possible conflict areas will be where holes may come close to a loop trail of the park, but they are taking that into consideration.

Trees and other vegetation will be planted on the course to define fairways and add technicality. They plan to put as many mature trees in at first, but that always costs more. If they have to go with new saplings, then the course will be a little more open at first...similar to Expo and its new plantings. They also plan to 'sculpt" the land a bit to provide some elevation differences and create a fairly large sized earth berm between the disc golf course and the open space. This is mainly to prevent any prairie dogs/gofers from migrating into the course area. Should be nice though. Trust me...when Greenwood Village does something, they spend the money and do it right.

I told them that I could probably get numerous people to come lend a hand with getting the basket placements in and other minor help. They said that they would be greatly appreciative. I also offered to help run their first inaugural tournament when it's ready.

From what I can measure, the course may be laid out like this:
Hole/Length
1 410
2 280
3 250
4 315
5 310
6 375
7 220
8 360
9 470
10 305
11 420
12 330
13 310
14 360
15 460
16 350
17 315
18 280

Approximate total: 6,120ft

Comparisons: Expo 5,303ft, Edora long 6,322ft

Looks like an exciting example of a city park course doing it right for once. Getting advice from local golfers, including all the proper amenities from the start, and avoiding conflict with other park users.

Can't wait to see the progress this one makes.

Attachments

• VortexRed.jpg
    VortexRed.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5