• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Help - Placement of thumb and fingertips

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
I have questions on both the top placement of the thumb, and the placement of the fingertips on the inside rim.

(I hosted pics on my personal league page)

http://disceggsandham.weebly.com/placeholder-for-pics.html

My question is with regards to placement of the thumb and fingers.

On the top, is it better to use the thumb pad, or thumb tip?

On the bottom, is it better to use the finger pads or finger tips?

I have seen/heard both are used.

Thanks!

I have seen this video. Watched it before posting. But, he is doesn't say definitively whether to use finger tips or pads on the bottom rim. The first 43 seconds he says "pads", after that he says "tips".

He talks about Thumb Pressue and Disc Pivot. Not about finger "tip" or "pad". I think they are different. For me, using the pads is more comfortable but I have heard you don't get enough pressure on the disc using the pads. Does the fact that he uses both terms mean it doesn't matter?

I will say, he is using his thumb pad so that answers that question for me. Still not sure about the fingers on the inside rim.

Last edited:
basically they both are correct-- comfort being the biggest factor with control and distance being the other 2 main things outside of hand sizes, rims, or style of throw..

For me, when going for more control I use the pad of my thumb and more of the pads of my fingers (specially if I am throwing more of a fan/approach shot vs power grip and rip) while a max d shot has more pressure down into the flight plate from my thumb tip (making for a smaller pressure/pivot point than the pad) as well as my tips being inside the rim tighter.

Also, I was told that using the thumb tip instead of the pad may correct some nose-up issues (if you have them).

Now my drives are all too low because I'm used to getting the air bounce from a nose up throw :thmbdown:

For me it's finger tips placed just along the rim. I'm aiming to have the disc rip from my hand from the arm speed. If I put the fingertips any deeper, there's a good chance I'll hold on to the disc too long. From your pic, your four finger placement looks pretty similar to mine.

The thumb, however, I apply the pressure mostly with the first knuckle joint, along the outside of the digit. I get a good feel for the disc and again it allows for plenty of grip strength without unintentionally holding on too long. Try this and compare the feel to see if it works better for your release.

I use my thumb pad, pointer pad, middle tip, and ring pad.

I think I read something about aligning knuckles properly somewhere. Maybe DGR. I'd also say the most important part of my grip is between the muscle at the base of my thumb and the muscles at the base of my fingers.

Dave Dunipace said:
If you do use the power grip, there is a best way to do it, though. For the fingers to be lined up correctly, the first knuckle of the index finger should be closer in line to the second knuckle of the middle finger than to the first knuckle, and so on down to the pinkie. This way the finger pads all line up with the crease in the palm. There should also be some space between the index and middle finger. Then by holding the wrist down, the disc can be in line with the forearm.

With the power grip the index finger is usually the finger that the disc rips off from. The ring finger is usually a "lock" rather than "rip" finger. The ring finger pad is the first to pop off the rim with a power grip and other grips too. If you put your ring finger on the lower part of the rim it will be easier for it to slide off and let the index rip.

This is a quote from the "Distance Secrets" article on DGR found here