• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

Just out of curiosity, why is there so much room above the discs in the main compartment? Is there something in there? And what is that black round thing near the top?

the reason for the room above the discs is because of Mystery Ranch's 'Futura yoke suspension system'
http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.I/id.37/.f

from Mystery Ranch:

Mystery Ranch packs are much different from other packs on the market because the shaping for your back comes from additional framing components that are housed in the harnessing, we call this system the Futura Yoke. The Futura Yoke is a Velcro anchored telescoping shoulder pad system that can be adjusted up or down to fit your torso length. It's comprised of both open and closed cell foam to create a padded and structured piece to give you ideal contact over your shoulders and across your chest. Once the yoke is properly adjusted, the curve of the composite frame sheet is contoured to match the shape of your back. The yoke is available in three different sizes to offer a seamless fit.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking I need to look into that rubber stuff that phenix puts on the bottom of their bags for my Mahal...

Yeah, I hear its not really that hard to do I just don't know anything about it.

Just an FYI - I've heard that stuff rips up shirts, especially dry fit ones.

Lol yea its pretty damn tough. It has some thick grit in it so its definitely rough. U can get diferent ones at auto stores. Rhyno is probably the most expensive. Others like line x and plasti dip might work better. Who knows

Steady 26542 said:
Mahal.jpg

So how is the water reservoir hooked up in this pick? Kinda tough to tell from the picture. Are there hookups for putting one in this spot or is this some kind of mod? I'm thinking that I would put one in between the mail pocket and one of the side pockets (where the umbrella handle is shoved into). Thoughts?

I used walmartbrand liner on the bottom of my fade bag,taped all off look good. I Harding drying issues with it though. It took forever! But it is hard as a rock now seems to have worked very well other than a week to dry.

Bigfoot Yancey said:
Just out of curiosity, why is there so much room above the discs in the main compartment? Is there something in there? And what is that black round thing near the top?

the reason for the room above the discs is because of Mystery Ranch's 'Futura yoke suspension system'

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.I/id.37/.f

from Mystery Ranch:

Mystery Ranch packs are much different from other packs on the market because the shaping for your back comes from additional framing components that are housed in the harnessing, we call this system the Futura Yoke. The Futura Yoke is a Velcro anchored telescoping shoulder pad system that can be adjusted up or down to fit your torso length. It's comprised of both open and closed cell foam to create a padded and structured piece to give you ideal contact over your shoulders and across your chest. Once the yoke is properly adjusted, the curve of the composite frame sheet is contoured to match the shape of your back. The yoke is available in three different sizes to offer a seamless fit.

Makes sense now. Was the Futura Yoke included in the price or was that extra?

The Futura Yoke System is standard on the Golf Mahal.
And man, is it ever oh-so comfortable once dialed in. It shapes to your back

The taller area at the back of the main compartment would be the open area where the conventional bag hangs from quad straps.

1000000510.JPG

Loaded with 35 discs and my chair, it felt better/lighter/more comfortable on my back than the Carolina with 16 discs.

I echo every other sentiment about construction, feel, design and features. Daddy like.

ferretdance03 said:
1000000510.JPG

Loaded with 35 discs and my chair, it felt better/lighter/more comfortable on my back than the Carolina with 16 discs.

I echo every other sentiment about construction, feel, design and features. Daddy like.
Only 35? Looks like Dave F. will be sticking with the Voodoos... =)

I've SERIOUSLY been considering one of these as of late and you're NOT making it easier for me.

One of my buddies got the gateway ozark backpack that was released a couple years ago (I think), looks remarkably similar to the Mahal. I'm sure mystery ranch uses better materials, but I think I'll go that direction for $85 instead of $285. As much as I dislike gateway's lack of consistency in plastics and discs, they do make pretty rugged disc golf bags, I know quite a few people that have been using the old style backpack bag for years and they are still in great shape.

jubuttib said:
Only 35? Looks like Dave F. will be sticking with the Voodoos... =)
Half of that is mids/putters, so you could definitely get 40+ if you have more drivers. I think Dave should just pull a Little Flyer wagon around the course...

victorb said:
One of my buddies got the gateway ozark backpack that was released a couple years ago (I think), looks remarkably similar to the Mahal. I'm sure mystery ranch uses better materials, but I think I'll go that direction for $85 instead of $285. As much as I dislike gateway's lack of consistency in plastics and discs, they do make pretty rugged disc golf bags, I know quite a few people that have been using the old style backpack bag for years and they are still in great shape.
I thought the same thing about the looks, it does look similar. What the Ozark is lacking that the Mahal has is the collapsible space on the sides, the Futura yoke and the 30+yrs of backpack making experience that shows in the little details, ie: completely waterproof zippers, etc.

If you're just looking for a backpack style bag to carry some discs in, then the Mahal is probably not what you're looking for.

ferretdance03 said:
I thought the same thing about the looks, it does look similar. What the Ozark is lacking that the Mahal has is the collapsible space on the sides, the Futura yoke and the 30+yrs of backpack making experience that shows in the little details, ie: completely waterproof zippers, etc.

If you're just looking for a backpack style bag to carry some discs in, then the Mahal is probably not what you're looking for.

Actually, I'm looking for something exactly like the Mahal, since I'm looking for the most comfort I can get out of a disc golf bag. Problem is the price tag. I don't have enough expendable income to blow $300 on a disc golf bag, but I want a comfortable backpack style bag - I cannot get a quad shock hook up to ride properly on my back, which makes it hurt a lot more than it should.

If that isn't right up the alley of the Mahal, who's it made for then? The average disc golfer that has 300 bux to blow? As bad as I want this thing (and I love having top of the line gear for my recreation activities) it's just not that feasible.

The good thing about the Mahal is that you can use it as a normal backpack as well, so it's two bags for one price! I'd love to have one too, but meh, with taxes and shipping it'd amount close to 450USD I guess..

I suppose I'm more frugal (read: tight ass) than others. Too many bills to pay (2 cars, house, 2 sets of student loans, etc) to have 3 hundo to toss. If 300 bux is throw away money to you I'd like to have your job! It was hard enough for me to spend that much money when I bought my PS3, and I use that every single day lol

No, I understand where you're coming from and $300 most certainly isn't throw away money but at the same time I do not consider buying my Mahal "throwing my money away".

Latest posts