• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs. Spinal Tap

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
What are the pros and cons of each? I'm looking to get a new bag and it's between these two. I like grip bags, but the Spinal Tap price (with shipping and a rainfly) is really hard to beat.

It's another option if your not aware backpack with a built in seat RidgeRoller.com check it out

I will say that I absolutely LOVE my Grip A14. I've had it for over two years and I don't know how many rounds, at least a couple hundred if not more and it's pretty much as good as new aside from the usual grime and what not. Plastic rails on the bottom are fine and not broken at all, no frayed stitching or anything coming loose. The only real giveaway that it isn't new is the top tends to sag to the left or right since the sides have broken in.

Having said that, at the price point and had I not been able to buy the Grip bag in the store at that instant and have it for my round immediately after purchase, I may have ended up with one of the Spinal Taps, although IIRC they didn't have the warranty at the time that they do now (I bought the A14 in I think March or April of 2015). The ones I've seen in person seem to have the same quality as the Grip, and I think they use similar materials, so I think it really comes down to your price and what features of each bag you prefer. The Grip has loads of storage as is, and the new expandable pockets appear to hold even more. But the Spinal Tap has that awesome mini pocket and what have you. So really, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I KNOW you won't regret buying a Grip if you purchase one.

I have a new Spinal Tap and love it, except when I'm flying to Frolf. Grip fits better under the seat in front of you than the taller Spinal Tap. But other than that unique problem, I am very satisfied with the quality, space, style and comfort of my bag.

Latest posts