• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] GYRO durability.. legit?

I put a huge gouge in my Inertia on my second day playing with it. Hit an aluminum ladder that was hiding in a tree. I was pissed. Threw it on the very next hole though and it flew exactly the same. Hole after that was my best drive ever on that particular hole. I decided not to worry about it after that. I've also hit a lot of other things since then and it barely has another scratch.

I did the same thing to one of my Flows a few years ago, caught a tree just right, took a big nick out of the rim. Three years later and that's pretty much the only damage and it still flies great.

DX and Pro discs on the other hand, they season up quick whether you can see gouges or not. I think premium plastic has more to do with it than anything, regardless of the company. Not to say some companies' premium plastics don't season faster than others, but premium still tends to fly better even when looking bad.

:hfive:

When I first got into MVP/Axiom, I got an Inspire and pretty early on it hit a rock at a sharp angle and a good chunk got scraped out of the rim. I was hoping it might make it a little more understable but NOPE! :D Sucker flew the exact same. That was before I heard they beefed up the rim material even.

With axiom i really noticed this but wondered if it was just the colors. After throwing a bunch of the molds it seems like they might get dirty or scuffed vs more so which gives the appearance of beat up.

I got a Crave just after release with white rim that scuffed noticeably easier than other Gyro rims. The plastic seemed more "chalky". On the other hand, my Defy with white rim wears normally, so there are rims that get ugly faster (all fly well though). As AIM said, the white/bright colors highlights even the smallest dents even further. My Eclipse Volt looks sh*t but is still OS as well as my Eclipse Vector, which I really don't seem to be able to beat in properly (this is why I'd like Electron).

IME, older stiff Proton seem to hold pretty well. The 3 hard Neutron Theories I have are also indestructible.

Last edited:
Since the OMs, iirc, have to be the exact polymer as their cores (for the bonding process they use,) it makes sense to me that the only issues I've had with OM durability were with two drivers (I believe one was a Tesla, the other a Wrath) that were the particularly gummy Neutron blends. Each got gouged pretty bad from a glancing blow with a tree. Actually the wrath may have been from a chain-link fence, I didn't care for it and never bagged it, just field tested it a few times.

My Eclipse Volt looks sh*t but is still OS as well as my Eclipse Vector, which I really don't seem to be able to beat in properly (this is why I'd like Electron).

Electron vector would be amazing. My. Eclipse also flies like the day I bought it after about a season and a half. I just picked up a fresh one, but only because it was on end of year clearence. I might try to beat the s out of one of them and see what happens.

Electron vector would be amazing. My. Eclipse also flies like the day I bought it after about a season and a half. I just picked up a fresh one, but only because it was on end of year clearence. I might try to beat the s out of one of them and see what happens.

I've also been thinking about wearing down my least HSS Vector, but I'm afraid I'd have to go full AFTC on it which is too much for such a pretty piece of innocent plastic:eek: If you dare to try it, please tell how it worked out.

Pretty pleased with the durability of the Electron Atom after a few rounds. I didn't purposely abuse it, but it held up well. I find the plastic to dent and compress like Gateway S plastic instead of rip and gouge like DX.

Unlike every kc aviar and mcpro avair

A very low level, super firm premium plastic cracking? Imagine that. :\ Someone on the MVP page on FB posted pics less than a week apart of two Insanities splitting. That's a softer plastic that's supposed to be a very premium plastic. Sh!t happens. Don't be so smug.

I was inspired by Aim's Ions and decided to punish/improve a fairway driver. While I started this last summer, some 220 grit paper made this Servo feel like the best OG SSS I've ever felt. All the chalk...in a true premium blend. Can't wait to toss this saucer tomorrow.

01201720542_zpst1emuoud.jpg

Latest posts