• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hard "dump over" disc for FH?

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Ok, so I'm playing my home course and there is a hole I always throw FH on (300', slightly downhill that you must get past a row of trees on the R before dumping over hard R, plays around 275' or so). Since I've developed more power recently on my FH, I'm overthrowing this hole badly (75-100' at times) with my predators. I don't want to back off the power if I don't have to, as this leads to mistakes and missed throws.

Are there any discs you guys would recommend that are more overstable or more liable to dump over and crash and burn than a Z Pred would? I was thnking maybe a Banshee or a Flick? Any other or better thoughts? Or, something I can do to remedy it?

Thanks!

Couldn't something slower also work. Perhaps a champ Banshee, Opto Trident or something along those lines? Drone / Zone? How does a VP handle when thrown hard FH? Straight and then the normal fade, or just less fade?

As an other option super pigs could work too if you don't mind early quick fade to quickly falling down crashes with moderate sideways flight in the fade and huge skip at the end. Spirit and from hearsay XXX but they may be too much for even downhill FH to that distance so maybe something a little less extreme would suit you better. It would be nice if the disc fit you BH as well. Sorry I don't recall your bag. Banshee is gonna fade harder and earlier than a Flick. I'd imagine that at your power the Flick could work too and not fade so early as to end up halfway down hard right. Which disc works really depends on the speed and spin and downward angle you have to throw. The steeper the downward angle of flight the more piggy disc you're going to need. Disc speed and LSS also dictate when the fade is gonna start so without knowing the hole and how you throw the best we can do is guess. Force is more usable for you BH than a Flick I'd imagine. It's a great FH disc.

XXX is more of a C-curve disc, don't know how well it'd work for this shot.

The flick in a wt around 165 for that type of shot and you only have a moderate fade and nothing to severe. I also find that my nukes glide very nicely on FH 300 ish when I want a bigger skip around and obsticle.

CHEERS - Koffee

If you want a disc to go a bit shorter, with more stability than a Z Pred, the correct answer is a Z Xtreme.

Ah, the XXX. Forgot about that one. A definite maybe. Same with the Banshee.

I need something that will go straight and then >splat< go right at about the 300' distance mark. (FWIW, I can throw about 400' FH.) Xtreme would probably not go straight for long enough.

My bag consists of Preds, Bosses, TBs, Roadrunners, Buzzzes, Fuse, Comet, and Aviars. Pretty simple.

patdabunny said:
Ah, the XXX. Forgot about that one. A definite maybe. Same with the Banshee.

I need something that will go straight and then >splat< go right at about the 300' distance mark. (FWIW, I can throw about 400' FH.) Xtreme would probably not go straight for long enough.

My bag consists of Preds, Bosses, TBs, Roadrunners, Buzzzes, Fuse, Comet, and Aviars. Pretty simple.
I'm pretty sure the XXX won't either. As I said, it's usually more of a C-curve disc.

i throw the shot you are describing quite often with my XXX's to great success...............also WTF is a C curve?......god damn finns

well it only flies like that if you throw like a 5 year old girl, i can shape all kinds of lines with mine (i throw like a 12 year old girl)

A heavier Z Pred or try messing around with some anny at lesser power, allow it pull off that long "S" and fade where you need it to... I don't think there's a need to buy a new disc...

I aced this short little down hill L-R with an XXX... threw it real soft with a ton of anny and it made the "s" flight I was looking for... for example.

you might want to try a blaze or a whippet. I use a E demon for this shot I have a simlar sounding hole on my local course.

The deal with throwing the XXX is figuring out how much to turn it over. The more you turn it over, the straighter it goes until it fades.

shorter with same amount of power = slower disc. drone would work for this

patdabunny said:
Ok, so I'm playing my home course and there is a hole I always throw FH on (300', slightly downhill that you must get past a row of trees on the R before dumping over hard R, plays around 275' or so). Since I've developed more power recently on my FH, I'm overthrowing this hole badly (75-100' at times) with my predators. I don't want to back off the power if I don't have to, as this leads to mistakes and missed throws.

Are there any discs you guys would recommend that are more overstable or more liable to dump over and crash and burn than a Z Pred would? I was thnking maybe a Banshee or a Flick? Any other or better thoughts? Or, something I can do to remedy it?

Thanks!

Backing off power leads to mistakes??? That is an odd way of looking at it. Backing off power leads to developing touch and control.

You should not need a separate disc for each distance. You just need to be able to scale back on the power of individual throws. Evidently the hole you are discussing is a pure FH hyzer so throw it flat and dial back slightly on power.

Mark you missed the point he wanted to buy a new disc :-D So don't stop him from getting a Force which is too fast for a 400' FH thrower then but will make a great BH driver for him since he's 500'+ BH thrower. Especially for winds. Skill acquisition? That's like cheating :) I agree with others powering down will make the Pred bank harder at the end if there's no room for an s-curve. But a Spirit or Banshee and probably XXX would do it for you from a flat throw anyway. Spirit drops like mad and early. I throw sometimes a little over 400' BH and the Spirit drops early and if it's true that FH has less spin than BH for you it should fade even earlier so it may still be too much of a meathook released flat. But you and your mad power should be put in your place anyway :-D To teach you the humbleness the rest of us are forced to swallow. It's a good lesson that will make you a better placement if you take lessons from it. BH you'll love it for stiff headwinds because of your power probably meeting the exacting demands of that disc.

The XXX is a good suggestion, but I would also agree that backing off would be the best bet. I don't have the greatest FH touch, but I control my ranges by utilizing a standstill throw for distances I can overthrow easily with a runup. I'm still popping the disc the same out of my hand, just without the added power of the runup.

patdabunny said:

Thanks!

Gateway Demon (Midrange)
http://www.gdstour.com/gateway_demon.php

The Demon would be a great 250-300 sidearm with a hard fade

-Chris

Latest posts