• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Harrassing Texts from Disc Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our Twin Cities Disc Golf group has had numerous cases of disc thieves finding discs and instead of returning them they will call and text, taunting the owner that they are keeping the disc.

In many instances our group is able to track them down by their phone number and the community will send texts harassing the thief in return. We have even found their identity since these people have their number listed on facebook. In one case, the thief's identity was leaked on a 4chan style site and the members created fake Craigslist ad's and sent them NSFW photoshopped pictures from their FB account. Even their employer found out since someone ended up being a coworker. It only took a day for his number to be changed.

What would you if a thief sent you a taunting text/call?

How does anyone involved have this much time on their hands? Sounds like a waste of time for both parties involved.

Attachments

• life is to short.jpg
    life is to short.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 32
*ring*
"Hello?"
"I have your disc! HAHAHAHA!"
"Sir, are you aware that you've dialed a murder victim's phone? I'm going to need your full name, address and will need you to vouch for your whereabouts last night between the hours of 10 and 12."

This is possibly the best thing I've ever seen posted in a lost disc thread.

The only discs i ink are usually the ones I expect to lose over water eventually. These are usually DX or other cheapo unmarked discs I have found.

Anyone that takes the trouble to troll me over those will get a hearty laugh and taunting in return.

Mostly just dumb kids anyways from what I've read on these threads.

I say tar and feather them like we used to do back in the day.

I know a guy that is a chef and instead of putting his name/number on the back of discs he stencils an emblem of a cook wearing a hat. He used to write his name on them until one of his lost discs had been smashed through a window by whoever found it on the course. He said it was quite an ordeal convincing the police he wasn't responsible. The emblem idea is actually pretty ingenious. It's easily noticeable by the locals without giving the dirt bags of the world means of harassing you.

I just don't ink my discs and try real hard not to lose them. :|

Also, I think smigles is onto something.

In the 4+ years I've been playing I've lost more than 40 discs. Guess how many I've had returned? Come on. Guess. If you guessed ZERO, you are exactly correct! There is a certain brand of people at my local course who fish discs out of the pond then proceed to sell them in the parking lot the next day. That, my friends, is not cool.

At first I use to put my phone # on my discs. Then I switched to putting my email address. Now I just put my name & PDGA # (just to fulfill 801.02 F).

I don't think your law enforcement agency would care one bit about your lost disc. They certainly wouldn't call someone on your behalf. Also doubting the park officials would do anything.

Actually, they would. I know enough of the pertinent officials that well. And as someone else mentioned, it isn't so much the disc as the stalking as that term is defined in my state's criminal code.

hey shide, of the 40 disc you have lost in the water, how many times did you go in looking. just wondering how someone else could find them and you could not. there are many disc retrieving techniques for different types of water hazards, bare feet and a sweeping motion has been the best for me.

i dunno, i always get a good kick out of the backlash.

peeps on here who think we devote all our time to making someone miserable don't realize it's more like 150 people doing one thing to make one person miserable.

and it's fun as well as funny. :)

When people take the time to return discs, that's very very kind of them. Having said that, how about this can of worms:

These people aren't thieves. They're just tremendous jerks. The people who originally lost their discs left them for whoever might come along and claim them, and writing your name/number on something doesn't change that fact.

So, having said that, I would ignore it because I've never left a disc that I expected to get back.

not thieves. If you leave a disc, its gone. I love how people complain about not getting a disc back. Got news, if you throw one in the depths of a pond and leave it there, and some other guy goes in after it...its his now if he wants it.

But calling and taunting people is out of line.

Its for that reason that I dont put my number on any of my discs...the most expensive ones are a $30 investment. Its not like I left a gold bar laying around or something

If anything, it's petty theft, no more than a speeding ticket, then you have to convince the officer that the person had intent to deprive you of your property unlawfully, how easy is it for them to say..."I meant to give it back, I just got busy, threw it in the trunk of my car of forgot about it." Now the text messages/phone calls, sure they'll make reports regarding harassment, in TX the penal code states unless you very specifically tell them to stop contacting you, and DO NOT RESPOND to them, it's a communication, and not harassment. Even then, our local DA usually only takes harassment cases that are very specific and threatening life and/or property. Usually the whole "neener neener I got your disc sucker" doesn't qualify.

Google Voice. That's the number I give out to complainants and such at work, and its the number that goes on my discs. Only my family have my personal cell number.

not thieves. If you leave a disc, its gone. I love how people complain about not getting a disc back. Got news, if you throw one in the depths of a pond and leave it there, and some other guy goes in after it...its his now if he wants it.

Try googling the difference between "posession" and "property".

CharlieBrown-LifeIsFullOfSurprises2.jpg

Seconded.

As far as the entitled crowd that wants their discs back... Get over it. Don't throw something you're not willing to lose. It really is that simple.

They don't want the disc back, they just want the 2:00 a.m. harassing texts and calls to stop.

bunch of pansies up in here jeesh. vigilante justice will prevail!

LSD laced discs.... the next time you see some guy tripping balls on your course, thats probably your huckleberry :gross:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts