• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

The hatchet is an interesting disc. First off just like almost all of westside it does not fly like the #'s show. however i used the hatchet for hyzer flips with small fade at the end or straight to anhyzer shot that has minimal fade. it playes too much like my roadrunners. So it is out of the bag.

Also like the majority of westside it is destroyed by the wind. dont throw this disc into a head wind.

I think it flys pretty true to the numbers. At least in VIP. I would never trust a 9 6 -2 2 disc in a headwind anyway but I agree it's not meant for that. I like mine for shots I would usually throw my escape for but when it's a tailwind and I know that will make my escape fade more than I want.

Tip of the Day: Don't throw understable discs into a headwind, no matter who makes them.

I would agree also however per the flight #'s it is stable not understable. Also the king is a 14 5 -1 4. The can't handle the wind but there supposed to come back that hard.

I would agree also however per the flight #'s it is stable not understable. Also the king is a 14 5 -1 4. The can't handle the wind but there supposed to come back that hard.

-2 turn, thats under stable. Add headwind and you are pushing -4 turn or more all depending on the wind speed of course.

I think he meant throw something with 0 turn. Teebird/PD/PD2/etc.

But I agree that Westside discs are rated really bad in general. :thmbup:

But I agree that Westside discs are rated really bad in general.

I'm getting to the point where I mostly ignore all manufacturers flight ratings.

When thinking about a new disc for a slot I usually look at the inbounds inflight guide or Marshall Street's chart.

In my 13 years of disc golfing have I ever payed any attention to the flight numbers on a disc. Every disc is different, and especially so from company to company. Ive been an avid Discraft thrower for about 8 years and have just recently been throwing mostly Westside. Those numbers do nothing but sell discs. Its a pure marketing plan. My recommendations to all new disc golfers is ignore the flight numbers on discs. Find a disc that feels good in the hand and throw it. Experiment. Don't let disc companies sell you a disc based on what they determine is "fast" or "glidey." Rant over.

In my 13 years of disc golfing have I ever payed any attention to the flight numbers on a disc. Every disc is different, and especially so from company to company. Ive been an avid Discraft thrower for about 8 years and have just recently been throwing mostly Westside. Those numbers do nothing but sell discs. Its a pure marketing plan. My recommendations to all new disc golfers is ignore the flight numbers on discs. Find a disc that feels good in the hand and throw it. Experiment. Don't let disc companies sell you a disc based on what they determine is "fast" or "glidey." Rant over.
I agree with this. When I was just started, the flight numbers were extremely helpful so I could easily see what kind of disc I'm looking at. Actually when I didn't know too much stuff, I thought that the flight numbers are very accurate but actually when you get to know things a bit more you realize they're just giving a direction. I also ignored Discraft discs right away because I hated the way they rate their discs flight , but now I think it's a pretty good system.

BirdieMachine recommended I try a VIP Hatchet as my turning/understable fairway/distance driver when I posted my current bag up for review. With that in mind, I just traded away the Claymore I got from the Trilogy Challenge for one and it should be in the mail. I threw the Thief over 400ft a few times in the Challenge and can get my PD, Wraith and Trespass out past the 450 mark. What kind of distance and flight path can I expect from the Hatchet with that kind of power? It would be great if I could put a little anhyzer on the disc and power it down for fairway duties and then stretch it's legs out on longer flip to turn shots.

At 400' that things is going to turn and burn unless you really give it some serious hyzer on the release. I like mine, but I get some turn when I get it out to 275-300'. At high speeds it is turning. At real high speeds it won't come back. At 300' it will usually fade back at the end given enough height. You will have to play around with release angles and see what you need to do to get it to behave as you wish. Good luck.

BirdieMachine recommended I try a VIP Hatchet as my turning/understable fairway/distance driver when I posted my current bag up for review. With that in mind, I just traded away the Claymore I got from the Trilogy Challenge for one and it should be in the mail. I threw the Thief over 400ft a few times in the Challenge and can get my PD, Wraith and Trespass out past the 450 mark. What kind of distance and flight path can I expect from the Hatchet with that kind of power? It would be great if I could put a little anhyzer on the disc and power it down for fairway duties and then stretch it's legs out on longer flip to turn shots.

You should get flip to turn and powered down turnovers. Good downwind also. Interested to hear about your results. I can throw mine 380 on a flip to flat and fade.

I throw my Hatchet 300' power flat with a little height and get nice turn that straightens out at the end. Any more power than that and it will need some hyzer.

If you're getting the Theif out to 400, I'd guess the Hatchet would be fairly similar, probably a little more distance if you can control the turn.

Took my Hatchet out for its first round today, and was very impressed. I was getting it out there with a nice s curve. It's as long as any other disc I've thrown for my power.

Finally got my hands on a Hatchet today and threw it a few times. I was pleasantly surprised with how the disc flew. Since I play at 6000ft all the time, I expected it to be a bit more stable than what the rating suggested, but still threw it with a little hyzer. This produced a nice turn to the right followed by straight flight and into a relatively hard fade. Distance on the few times that I threw it averaged around 375', but I'm sure with a little more time I could get it to stretch its legs. It will probably take a while for the disc to beat in, but I feel like this is going to end up as a nice long turnover disc that finishes to the right. It's working really hard to find its way into my bag and I don't think I'm going to work that hard to keep it out.

The Hatchet was one of three discs that came in the mail, with the Saint and Saint Pro being the others. The big surprise was the Saint. Sneaky long disc. Throw it right and it blows past 400'.

Last edited:
It has probably been said before, but I just want to highlight it again. There are huge differencies between plastics and individual discs with Hatchet.

I have a domey 172g VIP and it is a bit understable, but with just a bit of hyzer can be thrown on a straight line over 300'. Downwind you could even throw it flat and get just the slightest turn and a solid fade.

Then I have a flat 172g TP which is something else. It is easily my most US disc and that takes into account the beat in River, G* Leopard, Underworld and Fury. Even if I want to throw a 275' turnover shot that doesn't come back, I have to put a lot of hyzer into it. I usually throw it higher and with 60-70% of power on the holes where I have to be sure I get the turn.

So all in all, the mold is very versatile and I love the VIP one, but you just have to keep in mind that the flight you get from your Hatchet can differ quite a lot from the ones that others are seeing.

I have a 171 Tourney that is a fun, glidtastic turning machine. You just need to master the release angles and DO NOT throw it anywhere near a headwind. But in a tailwind it is a trip. A long one.

I love the Hatchet too.. It's my only US driver right now and on a calm day I use it for lots of things. Easy hyzerflips, uphill shots, tailwind and standstill drives, turnovers, anhyzers.. though when the wind starts to blow to my face I switch to something more stable.

Bump. I'm in a re-trying discs phase right now, and I am curious how people are feeling the Hatchet stacks up with a Fury.

Usually at the beginning of a round, I can crush the Fury and make it do what I want. By the end, though, I have trouble controlling the angles on it. I'm wondering if the Hatchet is a bit more forgiving, or if it truly is more overstable. Thanks in advance for the advice, it's been awhile since I've thrown the Hatchet so I am needing some help. (I'm thinking of going for a TP, by the way.)

TP Hatchet is very close to Fury - maybe a half tick more stable but VERY close. Like the Fury the Hatchet has that magical Swedish glide that gives extra distance. VIP is another half tick more stable but will easily still finish right of center when thrown at 300ft of power. I think the Hatchet is easier to throw than the fury because you get the guaranteed turn but with less worry of turning it all the way over. Very easy to turn but has just enough LSS to pull to a flat landing at the end (rather than cut roll) - great disc.

I got rid of my Furys for a Hatchet. I got a much more consistent flight and a beautiful turn and fade every time with the Hatchet.

Pretty much what 46 year old dude said.

Out of curiosity, do you guys throw flat or on a hyzer flip mostly? I prefer to hyzer flip, so that's why I am asking.

Latest posts