• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading South and East (IA,MO,TN,LA,MS,AL,GA,NC,SC,KY)

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
For the month of March I'll be on the move. Leaving Southern MN around the 1st I'd like to play my way through Des Moines, St. Louis, Memphis, NOLA then East through AL and GA area courses, north through NC and SC, then towards Bowling Green in time for the National Amateur Championships and back to MN sometime soon after.

If anybody wants to get together for a round, hit me up (I've talked to a few of you already). I'll be hitting nearly every course possible along the route, making a point to hit those rated above 3. I'll take suggestions though if you have any "can't miss" courses, or courses that aren't on the map.

Travel Tag #49 is looking for a new home.

I'll be playing in as many tournaments as possible and often look up local leagues, any heads up on events is appreciated.

I'm looking forward to getting back out there, meeting some of you all, and checking out some of these courses that I hear so many great things about.

Damn, I can't even express how jealous I am. :thmbsup: Have an awesome trip!

if your coming around central NC let me know.....Buckhorn is a great one to hit up....just south of raleigh in a state park...

Wish I was there, but if you are in or near Ottumwa, Iowa, check out their 3 courses. There is a campground at the intersection of 34 and 63. I know we don't have any 3 star courses here yet, but will you be coming through Myrtle Beach? or are you going up through Columbia to Charlotte?

Thanks for the tip about Ottumwa, don't know if I'll make it there, but I'll keep it in mind.

As for specifics on where I'll be in SC and NC, couldn't tell ya, but I'll give you a shout if I'm heading your direction.

And Mash, you've got your own trip to look forward to in April, have a great time!

Unfortunately I won't be in LA during march, otherwise I'd play some rounds with ya - but I can give you some suggestions if you're going down 55.

If you're inclined to detour ~45min. or so off of 55 to Tupelo/Belden, MS they have a couple parks there. Old Warrior Run is a very nice course. They've got some videos from Trace Pro Open on Youtube.

In Louisiana - skip Lafreniere. It'll take way too long because the course is just built through a very busy park. City Park has NOLA's newest course and looks to be good, haven't gotten a chance to play it though.

Call me biased, but I'd rather spend a day in Baton Rouge playing dg than in NOLA based strictly on the courses. Highland Road Park is alright but you'll need a guide. Flanacher DGC out in Zachary is a real nice course though, probably the best I've played in south Louisiana.

I've heard good things about the Mobile, AL scene as well.

Last edited:
Oh and don't miss Charlotte when you go through NC - I could spend a week straight dawn til dusk playing those courses.

Hope you get to visit us at Stoney Hill (currently rated 4.13) while crossing South Carolina. Note that we'll need a little advance notice to set up a time. I can also guide you at Earlewood (Columbia, SC) and perhaps Crooked Creek (Chapin, SC)---also roughly 4-disc rated courses.

I can guide at any course around the upstate/ Greenville, SC. Foothills, Century, Timmons, and Va-Du-Mar are all excellent options and most are right off the highway!

A few tips on the South Carolina portion of your journey---

You'll no doubt spend a couple days each in Augusta, GA and Charlotte, NC. Between these, there are basically 2 options:

The straight route across the center of S.C., with 3 4-disc courses (Earlewood, Crooked Creek, & Stoney Hill, mentioned in my previous post). Or through the Upstate (northwest corner of the state), where there are more courses, mostly short, good (3.5 or so) courses, but it's a longer route.

We have a state website---www.scdgo.net---note the ".net" part---which lists both sanctioned and non-sanctioned events.

There is normally organized local play in Columbia on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays; Chapin on Saturdays & Sundays.

If you're camping, it's free at Stoney Hill.

Would love to hit up an ATL course with you, but chances are most of your action is during the week isn't it?

If you play Alexander during the week I could take a long lunch if I am in town.

Would love to hit up an ATL course with you, but chances are most of your action is during the week isn't it?

I'll let you know when I'm heading that way, but yeah, most of course bagging happens during the week, the weekends are often reserved for tournaments, but are not completely ruled out.

JT, thanks for the tips about LA, too bad we won't be able to hook up for a round. I've been to Flanacher but didn't get to play, I may swing through Baton Rouge to hit those courses, and I'm sure I'll hit those around NOLA.

Thanks for the tips on SC, Ideally I'll have enough time to Roll from Augusta to Columbia up through Greenville then to Charlotte, though I'm not ruling out Charleston and the coast. I'll give you guys a shout if I'm heading your way.

If, no more like when, you get to the Charlotte area, hit me up, or at least let me know when you're getting close. I can do the guide thing around here.

In St. Louis, In my opinion the ones to hit are:
Sioux Passage
Jefferson Barracks
Endicott

I did the trip from Augusta, Columbia and Charlotte. OMG was it worth it. Take David Sauls up on his offer for Stoney Hill. You will not regret the course or the company.

After St. Louis come to Rolla and play the new awesome Lions Club course. Let me know.

After St. Louis come to Rolla and play the new awesome Lions Club course. Let me know.

True dat. One of the tougher courses I've played but worth the trip down there. There is another nine hole course close to that (can't remember the name) but that one is decent too.

I'll just throw this out now. The ONLY reason you would probably be driving through Myrtle beach, Unless you wanted to freestyle on the Boardwalk, would be to go from Charleston to Wilmington. As of right now, we only have courses you would play if you were here for other reasons. ...say, a vacation. lol

if your coming around central NC let me know.....Buckhorn is a great one to hit up....just south of raleigh in a state park...

Ditto, I'm representin' the Triangle up in this mofo, Cedarock/Wellspring, Barber, N. Asheboro, Johnson St, Lake's Edge, Creekside, etc.

My personal favorite places to be discing in NC are:

Charlotte (duh)
Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham (UNC, Leigh Farms, Buck Horn, and Zebulon is some good discing :thmbup: )
West (need to play more of the mountain courses but Yadkin and Ashe County are scenic if not fun).

The East Coast is not conducive to hitting up many quality courses in a short time, but Wilmington has one of the best in the state in Castle Hayne and now Joe Eakes at Kure Beach is really cool and unique. Fayetteville is underrated, New Bern and Kinston make a good road trip, etc.

Alabama in a nutshell

Tourneys in Alabama:

http://www.sndg.org/tourn.php

Best courses:

Bowers Park- Tuscaloosa, AL
Indian Creek- Huntsvillle, AL (Huntsville is a gold mine of good courses, btw)
George Ward park- Birmingham, AL
Both courses if Florence, AL we're pretty good

Mobile: My area: straight shot down I-10 from NOLA

#1 University of South Alabama- requires a wide range of shots, well maintained. BUSY in afternoon. Watch for traffic in Morning. Couple of holes get swampy

#2 Langan Park- Alot of long, open shots, Best Teepads (Don't bother with the gold course)...about 1 mile up the road from south alabama (not my cup of tea, but gets rave reviews)

#3 Chickasabouge- Plays through a forest, Shorter, technical holes, New 9 1b-9b are the most challenging. tends to get swampy in some places

#4 Chickasaw- Right off the interstate, Dirt pads and baskets are rough, but a great playing course. Never very crowded. Guy who maintains the course is always looking to improve, thus no really "set" teepads

#5 Cottage Hill- VERY tight and technical. Bad idea to play it on the weekend (busy park)...If technical is you're thing, A must play. 3 miles form south Alabama

#6 Hobbit Park- Different than other courses in the area, elevation, trees, creek, GET A GUIDE if you come here

#7 Citronelle- Out of the way, but, in my opinion the best course in Mobile County, Long Holes through scattered trees. NEVER busy

Latest posts