• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello new player here! (2months)

wadpe

Par Member
Hey, I am a new discgolfer from finland. Yeah probably far away for most people so I won't make reviews of the same courses. But I enjoy the game a lot.

Before I used to try the game when I was about 14. My parents bought me 5 used discs, they were champ Firebird, champ Wraith, dx Beast, millennium Aurora MS and discmania 1st run dline md1. All of them are before flightnumbers. So yeah I only wanted to throw drivers and it didnt work too well.

This year I got interested again when we went to throw with my friends and I could only throw backhand anhyzer flex with the firebird and it didnt fly far obviously. So I went to youtube and searched for tutorials on drives and many videos suggested to use putters or midranges. So I only played with the millennium's midrange at the beginning.

As I tried to throw further and further I decided to buy cline FD from discmania, to be my first fairway-driver. I managed to throw the midrange on a flat release so I was happy to see that the FD flew incredibly straight and pretty far compared to the midrange with the relaxed throw I was practicing, and that's when I got really hooked on this sport.

Currently I can throw my favorite disc Star Valkyrie up to +300 feet at best which is about double to my about 150feet midrange throws I had at the beginning. I can throw about 250feet consistently with drivers and midranges which is enough for par on most holes at a local course. I am pretty happy at my progress in two months. I sometimes also like throwing Star Destroyer, but it feels too hard so far as it doesn't go any further than my speed9 drivers and it fades quite heavily. Maybe I need to grind the slower drivers to gain more distance.

But yeah currently I throw rather fast of the tee so my upshots and fairway driver throws are more difficult, but I am happy with my footwork. I am still pretty rubbish at putting so I train that and forehand, which is about 200-250 feet but feels less consistent angle-wise. I mainly like RHBH throws. I also like to practice hyzerflips with my Dline P1 putter and midranges, but that seems more advanced so I am still practicing it.

Much text but yeah, I am really addicted to this sport and I like talking about discs and different techniques and preferences based on that, so I am interested to read this forum guys. :)

Last edited:
You sound like you're on the right path. Putting practice can be very boring until you start to see improvement. Then it becomes fun, i promise.

Welcome. Your progression is very impressive. The only thing I would suggest is to put anything faster than your valkyrie away for now and really you could put your valkyrie away for a bit too. Once you start getting your midranges out to 300ft or ~ 91m, add everything back in and try it out. if your destroyer is still flying as far as your valkyrie, you are likely having an issue with form. At your level of progression you will probably be throwing your MD1 300ft in about a month.

Thanks for replies guys. Yeah you might be right about that there is something missing in my form. I am happy with my footwork and armheight and I never hit a noseup accidentally like I used to. I can sometimes throw the destroyer further than the valkyrie but its rather random. I can say that it almost never goes over 300 and any faster throw will usually griplock and I miss my line where I am aiming. But I think I am doing alright for being a beginner.
Ive heard many times that people should practice with midranges, and it makes sense. I can throw my roc3 as far as my average fairway shots, which is about +250 feet. Its not a full power shot so I could practice that. Best part is that it is fun to set limits for yourself. I could practice with the more understable midrange too and try some different angles and grips. I can sometimes get the teebird up to nearly 300feet so I could get the roc3 up to it with little practice. The discs will show how I should adjust if I throw them faster.
I am pretty comfy with my drives of the tee but not with close-game. I should focus on those and especially at standstill upshots. It would be a good change to forget the drivers for a bit, it would be little different. I enjoy putting and I rarely miss in circle, so I never really get double bogeys anymore like I used to, only pars and +1s. I hit OB as often as I get birdies, it only seems to happen by accident.

As someone who after 7 months can't consistently get past 200' I'd like to say that I hate you. Just kidding. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep practicing.

My putting got considerably better after I bought a basket. If you have the money, it's a good investment. It made my practice sessions more enjoyable to actually putt at a real basket instead of at my garbage pin. When practice is more enjoyable, you are more likely to do more often, at least in my experience. Mine cost 100 USD and is pretty sturdy. I got it on Amazon. Keep having fun!

Yeah I have been considering more of an affordable basket for home putting. It sounds like much fun. Of course it won't be as good as a real one but it would help with aiming. I am currently practicing with a hockey net and sunseat haha.
Ive got nice results in short time but I have put much effort into it too. I was struggling so hard when I was 14 when I didn't know about correct technique. Ive been playing regularly and done much research on form and different discs. But I feel like I only put effort to drives, I wish my aproaches and puts would be as awesome. But I can see possible improvements. I can throw my mids 200f consistently and can throw Roc3 up to 250f with little bit effort. I just need to work on that now.
But yeah I don't think my technique is actually good but it is better than it used to be, and easily repeatable (=consistent) because I always use x-step and feel how my hips and shoulders move my arm. But I think I need to work on slower smooth throws again, even if the shots wouldn't go so far.

I've tried to play only with fairway drivers (max speed 7) and midranges and I don't really get more distance yet. I can throw my teebird almost as long as my other drivers with a good throw.

I am not necesserily getting better scores on a round but I am always looking for new tactics, because I don't have my usual shots with discs.

Touchy forehand aprouches are good and simple 50m backhand aprouches with roc3 are pretty easy. I can get my p1 pretty straight with hyzerflip and the less stable midrange too. I can throw the midrange up to 280f on slight downhill hole which is about as good as my best opening on that hole too.

My forehands still go fairly short because I am throwing upwards half of the time. But I am enjoying the game still and even got 15m annie putt today. Good times.

As someone who after 7 months can't consistently get past 200' I'd like to say that I hate you. Just kidding. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep practicing.

i might be even worse ...2 months and still struggling with 100' main problem is a bad right shoulder so i try to tee off left handed and my discs don't listen to my brain ...also they HATE trees and try to knock them down.

Yeah I second the basket at home suggestion. You really don't need a lot of space to practice putting. Heck you could do it indoors, just putt down a hallway! I have 2 baskets now, neither cost more than $50 used, both are real cheap and not the best at all. But it's 2 targets to practice upshots and putting. BIG putting improvement for me. Just go putt for 15 minutes here and there and it will make a difference.

Welcome to the sport! I'm kind of jealous of the courses you probably have near you. The Scandinavian ones I see on video all look really fun.

Thanks. I can probably set up a 10m putting circle at home, even with 25m lane with obstacles. Cheap basket would be nice.

I can lay up consistently from 25m but I suck at putting at right height. I hit the upper band very often from 5 meters and miss easy puts. If I had my own basket I wouldnt throw up so inconsistently.

So let me explain. I am confident with my right -to left aiming but I throw pretty random height when putting. I maybe throw too safe puts. I would be better off throwing hard chainhight from close range than those precise high puts.

I am still struggling with release-angles because of hyzering when trying to go flat. Oh well, I still love the game. Just keep having fun guys!

Last edited:

Latest posts