• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help ID a disc.......

Did I beat you to the punch? :p Or you worried your initial assumption was correct again?

Looks like a Cobra to me.

The Ontario Roc didn't come out until '94, BTW.

I'd recognize that bead anywhere! lol I need to get a new cobra, my old one is now a wall ornament. It had a good life!

I share your sentiments. The flight plate on my cobra cracked today so I need a new one as well. I've never seen that happen to a disc before.

Cobra? The diameter is exactly the same as my buzz, the pink disc. Hope these pix help......

Thanks for all the effort guys!

Attachments

• disc lsd 001.jpg
    disc lsd 001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
  • disc lsd 002.jpg
    disc lsd 002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 11
It's an Ontario Roc.

Next.......
The hotstamp is from 1993. The Ontario Roc came out in '94. Based on that alone I'd say Cobra.

The nose on an Ontario Roc is more rounded off that the nose on a Rancho Roc. The nose of an Ontario Cobra and Rancho Roc are kinda-sorta similar looking, but the Ontario Roc nose just isn't that blunt. The picture has a blunter nose than any Ontario Roc I've seen.

The easy way is always the tooling. The tooling on the Ontario Cobra and Ontario Roc is somewhat different. I'm too old and blind to even see any tooling on the underside picture that is posted, so y'all can check this out and see what you think.

The Ontario Cobra tooling has tall letters and numbers that seem spaced out quite a bit. For example, there is a large gap between "Ontario," and "CA." and another large gap between "CA." and "91761." On the Ontario Roc letters and numbers are smaller and more shoved together, and there are no large gaps in the spacing. As a result, the last number in the zip code on a Cobra is underneath the space between "Discs," and "INC." On the Ontario Roc the last number in the zip code is underneath the "s" in "Discs."

So, the OP should be able to look at the last "1" in the zip code and figure out which disc it is by the tooling. Maybe some of the rest of you can from the picture as well.

The edge on a Cobra is sharper than what I see in the pics. The blunt edge looks similar to the Ontario Roc I have in the garage, so I'm going Roc. Should be fairly easy to tell the difference between a Roc and Cobra by throwing it, even with O Rocs being the flippier Rocs.

Do these help? I love Macro settings....lol

Attachments

• LSD 002.jpg
    LSD 002.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 18
  • LSD 003.jpg
    LSD 003.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 18
  • LSD 004.jpg
    LSD 004.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 14
The hotstamp is from 1993. The Ontario Roc came out in '94. Based on that alone I'd say Cobra.

The nose on an Ontario Roc is more rounded off that the nose on a Rancho Roc. The nose of an Ontario Cobra and Rancho Roc are kinda-sorta similar looking, but the Ontario Roc nose just isn't that blunt. The picture has a blunter nose than any Ontario Roc I've seen.

The easy way is always the tooling. The tooling on the Ontario Cobra and Ontario Roc is somewhat different. I'm too old and blind to even see any tooling on the underside picture that is posted, so y'all can check this out and see what you think.

The Ontario Cobra tooling has tall letters and numbers that seem spaced out quite a bit. For example, there is a large gap between "Ontario," and "CA." and another large gap between "CA." and "91761." On the Ontario Roc letters and numbers are smaller and more shoved together, and there are no large gaps in the spacing. As a result, the last number in the zip code on a Cobra is underneath the space between "Discs," and "INC." On the Ontario Roc the last number in the zip code is underneath the "s" in "Discs."

So, the OP should be able to look at the last "1" in the zip code and figure out which disc it is by the tooling. Maybe some of the rest of you can from the picture as well.

This is why he is a consultant...this is something 99.9% of the other people playing disc golf would never know

This is why he is a consultant...this is something 99.9% of the other people playing disc golf would never know
Back in the day I used to order custom stamped discs. It was around 1999 before Innova started putting abbreviations of the disc type on the underside, so before that when you got the custom stamped discs you basically had to know the difference by looking at them. The first time I made a custom order I was clueless and had to call Bob Waidmann to come over and figure out what was what.

Does anybody else get that Prince song stuck in their head whenever someone says "1999?" :sick:

Back in the day I used to order custom stamped discs. It was around 1999 before Innova started putting abbreviations of the disc type on the underside, so before that when you got the custom stamped discs you basically had to know the difference by looking at them. The first time I made a custom order I was clueless and had to call Bob Waidmann to come over and figure out what was what.

Does anybody else get that Prince song stuck in their head whenever someone says "1999?" :sick:

I do now! :wall:

Thanks. :(

I was comparing my Cobra to my Roc, because this thread raised my curiosity. They Basically are the same disc, The Roc is a little more Rounded along the edge, and the Cobra is a little more streamlined. But they are basically the same disc. Same Diameter, Bead, height, etc... (I know, I broke out my leveler! lol) I may have to go and buy a new Cobra now, after all this talk! lol