• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Help me find a Midrange

Watching reviews online it seems about how far it goes and the fight shape with full power. Doesn't help me much.

I throw my mid range for 125 - 250' shots. Sounds like a strong putter throw for most players. It's about parking the disc not how far I can throw it. Not often do I throw approach full power. It's a finesse feel disc. I have confidence as I approach my lie that it's landing in the shadow of the cage no matter the shot shape.

Side note: Until I started incorporating a Zone for forehand approaches I'd forehand my 150g flick as little as 50' from the target.

A open local who knows how I throw says for me he thinks it's not just all about glide but the right speed/glide with only a moderate fade combo that I count on for working my midrange.

After starting the post, My first throw, a new Innova Gremlin at league. Hit the base of the pole on the fly. Downhill 225' shot. Also for CTP to break tie.

Thanks for all input. I'm arranging some test models based on your input.

I am a little out of touch with much of the "new" stuff.

Very kind offer from Reptilian Discs.

Locals laugh at some discs that are in my bag, but somehow I still get respect when they see what they can do.

Funny how I migrate to lesser know stuff in my mixed bag. In my recent inventory check I found 3 quarter K brand new.

Lol, Quarter K were great, for 3 or 4 throws.

Love it!

Wait until we release our new mid range next week...

Like a Cobra but better bc it'll be consistently molded. Glide, some turn potential and nearly identical to the Gila in the hand.

This is exciting. Like really exciting.

I think you want a faster, slightly overstable mid if you're trying to replace a GM.

Kastaplast Kaxe might fit the bill, but could be a bit too fast.

Something like a Truth/EMac Truth might work well.

This may be a good option if the Gila ends up being too stable. Definately give a Fossil Gila a try if you want to continue using base plastic. They maintain a good bite well into their lifespan.
Kaxe is smaller diameter, neutral to stable beaded fast mid and flys ideally in premium plastic. Aside from the gila this was what came to mind as a modern replacement for the Gremlin.

If you are ok with stepping down in speed (as the kaxe is border line a fairway driver, much like a cobra) you could really enjoy an Envy. Its "approach" class, which is basically small diameter slower mids. I especially like them in electron (base) plastic. And they are best after a handful of rounds and sit in that sweet spot a long while before developing a good late turn. It takes a couple trees to unlock the glide that they are known for, and they go far enough that they really do compete with mids.

I have worked a MVP Reactorinto my bag. It's a compliment for the Buzzz SS more than a replacement for my Gremlin. The Reactor requires an anhyzer release for straight flight, but the hyzer finish has been very predictable.

At this point, reps and gaining confidence is going to be key to success.

I think I'm good for now. Though I didn't end up with a one disc solution. I just don't get around to playing enough to learn new tricks.

Input much appreciated.

I have worked a MVP Reactorinto my bag. It's a compliment for the Buzzz SS more than a replacement for my Gremlin. The Reactor requires an anhyzer release for straight flight, but the hyzer finish has been very predictable.

At this point, reps and gaining confidence is going to be key to success.

I think I'm good for now. Though I didn't end up with a one disc solution. I just don't get around to playing enough to learn new tricks.

Input much appreciated.

Are you looking for a very straight flying mid? I didn't read back too far. The Axiom Hex can be thrown flat and it'll fly flat. And pretty far for a mid, too. I've heard they make great compliments to the reactor,. although I haven't tossed a reactor.

Latest posts