• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me find my new PUTTER please

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
I have my game narrowed in for the most part. The one thing I need help with is the putter situation.

I have used a Discraft Focus, and I really like it. I have used others as well.
I own:: D-Focus, D-Ringer, D-Zone. I sometimes putt with I-Mako or even a D-Buzzz.

I see a lot of things that say (great driving putter...I DONT WANT THAT...****, I have enough mid's that will be used for that...I want a good true putter. SLOW, grips the ground etc. I want something that is perfect for a 15-30 ft putt. Wrist spin and float in, type. I guess.

I have been looking into new putters for a little while and...
Here are my questions:
1) MVP ION Medium. (Good, Bad, Love, Hate?) Is it stable, under, or straight good for short shots or best for a Midrange type shot?
2)VIBRAM SUMMIT (Is the material too oily?) Worth it?
3)DISCRAFT CHALLENGER (Too stable?) is it Puttery enough?
4)DISCRAFT PUTT'R (weird? or what?) It's a 0.0 and looks like it would feel good in the hand. Only elite-x plastic...weird.
5)INNOVA RHYNO (too overstable?) I like the thumbtrack and the true putter perfomance but...can i float it and spin to go nicely and in?
6)INNOVA AVIAR (There are like 5 kinds...****. BUT, I dig the plain A-putt and appraoch, probably in star plastic)

ALSO, important, really...How does it fit in the hand? The ringer doesn't fit that well. The Zone does but is too overstable for my use. It's perfect for up/hook shots, but not true putting. lemme know:hfive:

So thats what I am thinking. I need help. For people who know these discs. Please tell me...how are they? Again, I don't really need a 'fast' or driving putter, i like a good slow nice glide, putter. you know. THANK YOU in advance. :thmbup:

Challenger. Starts off stable, breaks into perfect straight shooter. As opposed to a magnet (or similar stability) that gets more flippy when seasoned.

Challenger. Starts off stable, breaks into perfect straight shooter. As opposed to a magnet (or similar stability) that gets more flippy when seasoned.

And when it does, it's butter. I'd argue the case for a few magnets. Get a softy for hill shots you don't want rolling away, and break in a few pro-d's. They're money, IMO. If you want to do more spin putting, though, maybe go with a Pro Rhyno or Pro Pig...shoot those are OOP. Um, yeah Challenger would be a good step up from the Focus if you want more stability. Pro D it up for putting, Cryztal for Drives.

...and they're a great driving putter, if you care to learn anything about control and form. Perfect for capping your distance at 200-300ft.

"Wrist spin and float in, type. I guess."

Magic Bro. or the Wiz if you're used to the bead of the Focus.

Rhyno. It's great for turnover putts and hyzer putts. Which means that it works for straight putts....but fades a little to the left (RHBH). I started witha an Aviar then picked up the Rhyno and just felt right...so I stuck with it.

It works for me. :thmbup:

I have been looking into new putters for a little while and...
Here are my questions:
1) MVP ION Medium. (Good, Bad, Love, Hate?) Is it stable, under, or straight good for short shots or best for a Midrange type shot?
2)VIBRAM SUMMIT (Is the material too oily?) Worth it?
3)DISCRAFT CHALLENGER (Too stable?) is it Puttery enough?
4)DISCRAFT PUTT'R (weird? or what?) It's a 0.0 and looks like it would feel good in the hand. Only elite-x plastic...weird.
5)INNOVA RHYNO (too overstable?) I like the thumbtrack and the true putter perfomance but...can i float it and spin to go nicely and in?
6)INNOVA AVIAR (There are like 5 kinds...****. BUT, I dig the plain A-putt and appraoch, probably in star plastic)

ALSO, important, really...How does it fit in the hand? The ringer doesn't fit that well. The Zone does but is too overstable for my use. It's perfect for up/hook shots, but not true putting. lemme know:hfive:
:

1) I hear they have killer glide. Haven't thrown one.
2) No comment.
3)Not too overstable at all.
4) Gross. Get a Magnet.
5) Depends again on what kind of putting you want to do. The overstability is manageable as it breaks into a dependable putter. Requires a little more speed in heavier weights to get it to float in. Look for a grippy champ in 170 or so to get a feel for it.
6) Double gross. KC's are too hard for me, but people swear by them for push putting. JK's have a nicer grip but the recent runs are a little bit to much like R-Pro in durability. R-Pros are basically going to turn into a Blowfly. Classic DX aren't my type. Star = disgusting.

Thanks for the input. I don't really want an Overstable putter. I would say Challenger at 1.0 would be the most I would even consider. When i said spin, i meant more like Pizza toss putts. I don't like having a full throw form when putting because if I miss, that stuff is gone. SO, yeah NO Driving putter. I use a mako, zone or my ringer for that.
Thanks though. I have heard decent things about challengers

"Wrist spin and float in, type. I guess."

Magic Bro. or the Wiz if you're used to the bead of the Focus.

Oh shhnikies I forgot about those. Yeah Gateway putters have a lot of love. Magic/Wizard? ok, any more info about those?
Stability, feel, speed.

In Innova rating the Aviar is (speed)2 (glide) 3 (turn) 0 (fade) 1

That sounds good to me, maybe 1,3,0,0. haha if that exists.

Try the new Yeti Pro, I sank a few 40 footers today with this disc. The Vibram Ridge also works well for me too. I like the Vibram Summit for putts over 50 ft. The Summit can also be used for 200 ft plus drives as long as your not throwing against the wind.

I have an Ion that I love, and its money from 250' in, but once I get inside the circle, I can't hit ANYTHING. I've never been as bad inside the circle as I have been with an Ion. Maybe its because my putting style is slow and lofty and the Ion requires spin. But I can't make a thing.

But, if your putting style is similar to mine, get a Magnet. Such money.

The magic is pretty understable. Super str8 - easily turned over. Tons of glide. You shoot right at the pin with these. Hardly any hyzer-out. Wizards carry a little bit more stability and have similar flight characteristics as the Focus....glidy, str8 flight, with hyzer-out at the end.

The putter itself (magic and wiz) are smaller in diameter, too. Hand-to-disc ratio is larger in a sense.

I think the Wiz is what you're looking for.

Must say I'm loving my wiz's. Anyway you can test a few out? Local club/buddies?

I wish. I'm currently in Korea. haha it's 3:25pm here I have to go teach a class. But I'm preparing for when I return. Dammm I miss DiscGolf. I havent played since July. Luckily I met a guy via DGrUS and I'm traveling 2 hrs on Saturday to go play, but we 'make'' the course...and only have 1 traveler basket we move....i miss a REAL COURSE. so yeah, having it being spring and having the DG bug, I am researching what I will buy when I return.

1) Gorilla Boy Chimp
2) bunch of discs. haha I can't wait to blow 200$ on disc stuff.

:)

The magic is pretty understable. Super str8 - easily turned over. Tons of glide. You shoot right at the pin with these. Hardly any hyzer-out. Wizards carry a little bit more stability and have similar flight characteristics as the Focus....glidy, str8 flight, with hyzer-out at the end.

The putter itself (magic and wiz) are smaller in diameter, too. Hand-to-disc ratio is larger in a sense.

I think the Wiz is what you're looking for.

Thanks a lot, great response. I have thrown those, but it was long long ago when I didn't really care about putters. Now ,it seems its all I care about.
thanks for a good reply.

Gotta go teach Korean kids some Englishee

Voodoo!

Try it, trust me, its love. It's in between the wiz and magic. It's very similar to the glide of the magic, but more stable. It doesn't fall off as early as the wizard.

^^+1 for voodoos... holds whatever line you put it on, great great putters.

Voodoo!

Try it, trust me, its love. It's in between the wiz and magic. It's very similar to the glide of the magic, but more stable. It doesn't fall off as early as the wizard.

OK, hmmm.
One question, I hear about the ss or sss ? what is this?
I do NOT like a putter all gummy soft like BlowFly's. Not a fan, rather have a star/esp/ type plastic...or at least Pro-D. I like that.