• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! My Comet Turns and Burns!

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
It's OAT!

I love my Comet. 300'+ it'll flip flat fly straight. Under 250' ..... bad. Wounded duck roller thingy.

I know what the problem is. I'm just not having much luck fixing it. Has anyone else overcome this issue? Feel like helpin' a brotha out?

Sounds like when you power down, you're changing something about your throw when you power down. In my experience, the best ways to power down are decreasing reach back and runup, that lets you keep the rest of your form and grip the same to get shorter distances. The right pec drills from Dan Beto over on DGR are a great way to work on that, starting with just the right pec throwing motion and working up to a full throwing motion will let you work on keeping technique consistent at different distances.

release hyza. I only throw comets on 300+ shots if you want it to go stright chuck a buzzz it wont roll...Also less disctance with the comet means less power.

Also watch your wrist angle..make sure it is pointed down a little...sometimes when you power down on a disc your wrist becomes level instead of pointed down a bit...I find this leads to sometimes rolling my wirst at the end of the throw causing the dreaded crash and burn or super anyhzer shot. Don't half azz your throw and stay committed. Just an idea.

keep your elbow up higher

I'm guessing you're dropping your elbow low during your throw, cocking your wrist funny, and rolling it over cuasing the OAT.

maybe try a different grip, like the control grip

I have a similar problem with my Comet. When I have no ceiling to worry about, I can throw my Comet beautifully and it just goes with a nice slow anhyzer. But when I have to keep it low (15 ft or less) mine just turns too fast and burns. So my solution is I throw a different disc when I have a ceiling and need to throw an anny. I throw a beat X Buzzz.

It is probably an oat issue, but I would suggest using a putter for that 250 distance slot. Especially if you can put a comet 300+.

Of course the ceiling of your shot will dictate whether you need a faster disc or not, but if its 280 or under.......I'm just gonna throw a putter instead of taking something off my roc.

I have a similar problem with my Comet. When I have no ceiling to worry about, I can throw my Comet beautifully and it just goes with a nice slow anhyzer. But when I have to keep it low (15 ft or less) mine just turns too fast and burns. So my solution is I throw a different disc when I have a ceiling and need to throw an anny. I throw a beat X Buzzz.

Could be a nose angle issue. for those shots, I release more nose neutral and it flips and turns the nose down.

It is probably an oat issue, but I would suggest using a putter for that 250 distance slot. Especially if you can put a comet 300+.

Of course the ceiling of your shot will dictate whether you need a faster disc or not, but if its 280 or under.......I'm just gonna throw a putter instead of taking something off my roc.

I still have the problem with putters under 200'ish. Just seemed like it should be a Comet thread.

I would totally suggest this, too.

IF I COULD THROW A PUTTER 250' ACCURATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

I'd revisit this:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/angles.shtml

Otherwise start with pure hyzers that don't flatten. Figure out what sort of release angle, trajectory and OAT (or lack thereof) that you need to do that. Then work on getting them shallower and shallower until you're throwing straight shots. If you're able to throw longer without them turning and burning then this likely won't take that long.

I'm not expert on anything, but I have spent many hours in the field working on my Comet throws. In addition to the grip I use for the Comet, shown below, I use a much shorter reach back. I make up for the slower arm speed by consciously flicking open my wrist. I use a looser grip for shorter (less than 200 ft) and for 300 ft I slide my ring finger down to on top of my pinkie. My index finger is barely hooked under the bead. Try the loosest grip you can get away with. Hope this helps. Umm, I'm Paul, apparently.

CometGrip.jpg

Last edited:
I was throwing my comet out around 240-250 today.. using a power grip I never had it turn and burn.

I tried a few forehand shots with it... turn..burn.. roll... Not an easy disc for me to use with my forehand, but I am primarily a RHBH

keep your elbow up higher

I'm guessing you're dropping your elbow low during your throw, cocking your wrist funny, and rolling it over cuasing the OAT.

maybe try a different grip, like the control grip

I agree with this. I know a lot of people like to keep certain grips for putter vs midrange vs driver...but midranges I will change from a powergrip on my buzzzes (out to 315') to a fan type grip for around 275'

You just have to learn to trust the glide. Try some stand-still throws, see how far it'll go, you may be surprised. I used to throw a Comet a lot, I've since switched to my beat in Z Buzzz. It handles the wind better, holds the same line. The Buzzz seems to be more consistent for the low ceiling shot as well. I also think that because of the glide, it's easier to get a Comet out past 300' than it is to get a putter past 250'.

Latest posts