• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! My Comet Turns and Burns!

I can definitely throw it over 300 from a standstill. That's the problem. When I power down I get some crazy oat in my throw. I strong arm it. If I don't, I overshoot it. Right now I throw a shot that's 50'+ too much and try to hit the ground in front of it. Or I throw a UD. I don't have a gentle touch shot. Different grips haven't helped; I either strong arm it and have just as much oat, or I don't, and the disc slips at an unpredictable angle.

It's OAT!

I love my Comet. 300'+ it'll flip flat fly straight. Under 250' ..... bad. Wounded duck roller thingy.

I know what the problem is. I'm just not having much luck fixing it. Has anyone else overcome this issue? Feel like helpin' a brotha out?
yes
Sounds like when you power down, you're changing something about your throw when you power down
this is plausible
I have a similar problem with my Comet. When I have no ceiling to worry about, I can throw my Comet beautifully and it just goes with a nice slow anhyzer. But when I have to keep it low (15 ft or less) mine just turns too fast and burns. So my solution is I throw a different disc when I have a ceiling and need to throw an anny. I throw a beat X Buzzz.
This is potentially an issue for him, but he never qualified any of it with a ceiling restriction so, maybe this is for another day. But, it is correct. Comets love a little height.

You just have to learn to trust the glide. Try some stand-still throws

I can definitely throw it over 300 from a standstill. That's the problem. When I power down I get some crazy oat in my throw. I strong arm it. If I don't, I overshoot it. Right now I throw a shot that's 50'+ too much and try to hit the ground in front of it. Or I throw a UD. I don't have a gentle touch shot. Different grips haven't helped; I either strong arm it and have just as much oat, or I don't, and the disc slips at an unpredictable angle.

I have had similar issues with slower discs like mids and putters throwing from a standstill. My best diagnosis was I was trying to "manufacture" power by leveraging the throw. So instead of being comfortable, approaching the shot with the momentum of an x step or a 1 step or whathaveyou, and being in rhythm with my throw, I was feeling like i needed to make up for that "loss of power". So i found myself throwing flex shots, or dropping my front shoulder and throwing in an ovular/swooping/low to high motion, in an attempt to leverage power off of my finger instead of trusting myself to throw it, on plane, with spin.

Ive since gotten more comfortable with it. I close off my stance more in relation to the target. Similar to in baseball, an open vs a closed stance, open meaning more of your chest is aimed at the intended line, closed meaning more of your shoulder or back is pointed at it.
This allows me to put a touch of hyzer on my throw, and since its a comet, it doesnt fade a whole lot, if at all, so allowing it to go from left of the target at the release slightly, drift right a touch, lock on to its line and then forward fade. This has helped me eliminate the OAT or hyzer slip outs.

However, the problem of gliding right past is a little harder to overcome.

I've been thinking about the holes I used to drive with a Comet; none of them were under 300'. I'm starting to think the Comet may be better suited for longer throws where most people might normally use a driver. I throw a Meteor for distance shots only. I think stable (Buzzz), to overstable (Gator) are easier to gauge distance. They get into less trouble since there's less glide. I do remember having some nice bombs through the woods with my Comet. I might put it back in my bag next time I play.

I know a few people that are DEADLY with a comet from about 150' in. I could not give any insight into how they do it, however.

If you don't want it to roll throw it dead straight on a slight hyza. by the end of the flight it should be laying dead straight at the goal if not in the chains for the next putt.

I love the Comet; it's my absolute favorite disc and I use it whenever I can. But I'm not really comfortable using it under 275' or so unless I'm ace running and don't mind blowing way past the basket if I miss it. It feels too difficult to range at shorter distances, because it's a very long midrange. For approaches, I use an Anode (sometimes these days an Ion). It's definitely possible to power the Comet down very well, but I just don't like it.

Comet quetions? I can answer those :)

Ok, MJ, I'll bite. :D

Hole #1 at Zebulon. Is that a comet for you ... banger? I watched a few of your warmup throws on that hole last July and I gotta say the flights down the chute, turning over to cross the creek and stopping feet from the pin were things of beauty.

Ok, MJ, I'll bite. :D

Hole #1 at Zebulon. Is that a comet for you ... banger? I watched a few of your warmup throws on that hole last July and I gotta say the flights down the chute, turning over to cross the creek and stopping feet from the pin were things of beauty.

It kinda depends upon the wind, but usually its a banger for me. When theres a bit of wind i move up to throwing x comets on that hole

Comet quetions? I can answer those :)

I should be using a fan grip.:doh:

I'm not making the correct changes to my throw to throw shorter distances.

If you need to make a comet fly 200', then fade into the pin, what changes do you make to your throw as opposed to a similar 350'+ shot?

I should be using a fan grip.:doh:

I'm not making the correct changes to my throw to throw shorter distances.

If you need to make a comet fly 200', then fade into the pin, what changes do you make to your throw as opposed to a similar 350'+ shot?

Shorten my run up and my reach back. For that short i would usually use a putter, but if i need to use a comet, i would take a one step approach or stand still. Use very little reach back and a smooth stroke

I sometimes throw with a slight amount of nose up, almost like an airbounce to control the comet distance wise. That may work. Works with the rattler too.

I sometimes throw with a slight amount of nose up, almost like an airbounce to control the comet distance wise. That may work. Works with the rattler too.

Mark Ellis style? Can you keep that shot fairly low? He throws it in a putting vid and they go pretty high; a lot of courses around here don't allow that very often.

Latest posts