• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with disc selection

Hey. I recently got into the sport and I feel like I jumped too headlong into the world of disc golf. I just blindly bought 6 discs because they looked "cool" and didnt know how they would suit my game. I bought a dx beast (one I throw by far the best) a dx valkyrie (dont throw it bad) a champion monarch (cant get it to do anything) a dx wolf (too overstable for me) a star mako (decent straight path for me) and an aviar (not a bad putter for me). I was wondering if anybody had an idea on a disc that would suit me better. I dont throw overly hard and I feel like I put a little too much hyzer on it. I would believe that a 10 speed would suit me the best but I am not sure. I have ok form from what a guy that has 10+ years experience told me but he never told me a disc that would suit me. I dont want to buy another disc until I know for sure that it would be a good disc for me to practice on and get better. I know that some of you are going to say something like "just practice with what you got" but I really want a disc that I could do well right from the start to get my lines down. Any help would be appreciated.

You're not off to a bad start, actually. Bench the Monarch until your form improves; the Champion plastic can make molds act more overstable. The Wolf doesn't have actually great rep and can probably hit the bricks, too.

The Beast and Valk are pretty similar in terms of flight path, so one of those should be good. The Mako is awesome for learning to throw with clean form, so keep it as your main mid. If you are throwing it without it turning over into the ground, you're solid.

Other than that, you could maybe add a Teebird or Eagle for fairway duties (which can be powered down for overstable mid duties), but you have a decent starting rig. Good luck, have fun, and good call on checking here before going purchase crazy. I wish I would have done the same when I started.

Comet. Best thing to learn on there is. It has really good glide and will teach you how to throw your other discs.

Put the Beast in a trunk and lock it up for a few months. It will do nothing but hurt your long term game. That is true for any speed 10 disc. If you want a driver that will go far, get a River. If you want one to fly true, get a Teebird or a Crave.

The Wolf is one of the most understable discs ever made, not ovetstable.

What kinda distance are you getting with the beast? If usually less than 300, might consider a leopard, t-bird, or cyclone.

Like onemilemore said: Ditch the Monarch and Wolf. The Valk and Beast can be your distance drivers, Beast for longer distances until you get form down. I would however go Leopard instead of TeeBird. Leopards are beefy enough to hold straight lines and definitely good for turnover shots in lighter weights. A River, Crave or a Patriot are similar to a Leopard, just preference. If the Leopard is still too much disc, then try a DX Kite or DX/Pro Skeeter, or some similar disc. Pair up a Stingray with your Mako for turnover shots. Premium plastic tends to be a bit more stable and takes time to beat in to fly like the ratings on the disc. Base plastic is a good way to go because this are discs will fly just like the ratings on the disc. Downside is disability of disc. They tend to beat in quicker and decrease the stability of the disc, so a real beat disc would be good for turnover shots and used for rollers.

Good luck with your journey. I've been doing it for about a year and a half and it gets better each day that I learn, even the smallest of things.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how he wound up with a Wolf. :sick:

And yeah, work your way up in speed. Working your way down is the hard way.

I throw around 200-250 on a decent throw on the beast and a little less on the valk. I got the wolf from Dick's sporting goods which I primarily use for approaches that need some hyzer but I have never thrown it off the box so I dont know exactly how it flies when I put some power behind it. the monarch has been used for throwing RHFH that needs some extreme hyzer to get around trees and obstacles. I have heard good things about the teebird. is there anything special I need to know about it like plastics and weight? also forgot to mention that the beast is a 175 and the valk is a little lighter than that so I dont know if I should go up in weight to see if I have any more luck. Thanks so much for the quick responses. It means a lot

The discs you should get and practice with depend a little bit on how much time that you want to invest and what your ambitions are.

Most people are best served with learning with neutral (straight) putters. You will learn to control your angles and to shape different lines. You will also learn not to put too much force into the throw.

If you have tons of time and big ambitions I recommend getting more discs, mids and drivers too, and in all stabilities, and start working with everything at once. But that's only if you plan on being unemployed for a few months and train every day ^^ :)

For starters, read this thread. It can be very helpful if you want to improve your game.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

If you just want to buy discs and throw, I would suggest a Pro Leopard and a DX Teebird in the 170gr range for starters. Both of these discs will fly far, much further than you're currently throwing your Beast.

The Wolf gets a lot of hate around here, but I don't think it's a bad disc at all for what it is. Beat it in a little and it makes a good upshot disc and a good roller too. I used one for a while and never understood all the hate it gets.

Last edited:
I throw around 200-250 on a decent throw on the beast and a little less on the valk. I got the wolf from Dick's sporting goods which I primarily use for approaches that need some hyzer but I have never thrown it off the box so I dont know exactly how it flies when I put some power behind it. the monarch has been used for throwing RHFH that needs some extreme hyzer to get around trees and obstacles. I have heard good things about the teebird. is there anything special I need to know about it like plastics and weight? also forgot to mention that the beast is a 175 and the valk is a little lighter than that so I dont know if I should go up in weight to see if I have any more luck. Thanks so much for the quick responses. It means a lot

At those distances i suggest just throwing your mako and aviar a lot until you get them out to 200'+ where your current drivers are going on all different lines from hyzers to straight and anhyzers. Valk and beast come back in the bag at a later date. Lighter weights are really player specific but stepping down a few grams off max weight is never a bad idea.

The valk once held the distance world record so it really comes down to technique and not really any new molds. You might find some which feel better in the hand or for some reason give you more confidence which i turn work out better but end of the day all discs fly even the realllllllly strange molds.

At those distances i suggest just throwing your mako and aviar a lot until you get them out to 200'+ where your current drivers are going on all different lines from hyzers to straight and anhyzers. Valk and beast come back in the bag at a later date. Lighter weights are really player specific but stepping down a few grams off max weight is never a bad idea.

The valk once held the distance world record so it really comes down to technique and not really any new molds. You might find some which feel better in the hand or for some reason give you more confidence which i turn work out better but end of the day all discs fly even the realllllllly strange molds.

^ This. And I'd add a Leopard to that.

Pssst, I hope "you know who" doesn't get wind of this thread. ;)

Cheetah > Leopard @-250' max D.

But i agree with the above agreerees. Leo is only driver most people would need when maxing under 250' outside of throwing into headwind. Probably would stay away from champion plastic though can be OS almost TB like.

Last edited:
Cheetah > Leopard @-250' max D.

But i agree with the above agreerees. Leo is only driver most people would need when maxing under 250' outside of throwing into headwind. Probably would stay away from champion plastic though can be OS almost TB like.

Yeah, the reason I always include the Leopard for true beginners is because it's not only neutral-understable, but it's only speed 6, lower speed and narrower rim than most fairway drivers.

I too love my Cheetah..

I have a hole at my local course that is 252' to the basket, dog leg right, throw this disc with slight anny (RHBH) and watch it turn towards the basket and past and then fade right back to it. I actually hit the top of the basket yesterday with this shot!!! skipped right off and about 8-10' past the basket. I know I am gonna Ace it soon!!!

When I first got a Leopard, I had a little trouble throwing it but I went to a Kite. Just flip the speed and glide around and add a bit more turn and you have a Kite. It was perfect when I began playing because it went straight as an arrow for me until I got better with my technique. The Stingray was also helpful but for a bit shorter shots.

Ah, the Kite. When I was a beginning "beginner" back in 2005, I started out BH with an Aero and Kite, throwing them with a one step, just to get form(throwing motion) down pat. After that came the Leopard, XL, Roadrunner, and Sidewinder. Later on(3-4 months) came the stable-overstable stuff, and fade and hyzer driving lines.

A DX Kite in totally calm conditions flies dead straight with tons of loft. I can see it being used for low power finesse lines and some Innova team members actually bag the Kite, believe it or not.

Agree with getting a leopard - but I'd suggest going with Pro or Star plastic; DX is going to beat in FAST. You'll probably find that the Leopard goes as far as the Beast this point. If so put the Beast and Valkerie away for now.

I'd also suggets getting an overstable, stable, understable set of mids and fairways. If the Mako is working for you stick with it for your stable mid. The leopard will probably fill the stable fairway for now. I could tell you what I use but there's so many to choice and at these speeds it's more about what feels right TO YOU not me.

I suggest getting away from Dicks or Sports Authority type stores. They generally have only Innova non-mainstream discs - Grooves, Birdies, wolfs, etc and mostly DX plastic. Find a real DG shop and go hold a lot of discs. Luckily discs are relatively cheap and it's fun to experiment.

Latest posts