• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with my 5-disc setup

pjizel69

Hey guys,

I walk to Kentwood disc golf course almost everyday to play 1-2 rounds, it is the disc golf course right near NC State University. I don't feel like bringing a bag full of 10-20 discs because the longest hole on this course is around 275', and there is only a couple tricky holes. I typically bring about 4-5 discs with me each round, and I stick to discraft discs. I am looking for some help with a 4-5 disc setup that will work for almost every shot.

So far I figured I would go with this setup:

Distance driver- ESP Surge
Fairway driver- Z Stalker first run
Midrange- Z or ESP Buzzz
Putter- ??? (I have a flx challenger which I am not a fan of, and an ESP Zone which I like alot, however, it is pretty overstable)

I am looking to add in one more utility disc, possibly an overstable fairway/midrange or something. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I don't throw much discraft so I can't help you there but for a Overstable midrange I can recommend an Innova Gator. I think for Discraft the Buzz is one of their overstables mid's but I'm not sure.

As far as the putter goes I throw Wizards but if you want to stick with Discraft I have heard a lot of people like Banger GT's.

Why do you not want to throw the zone if it works for you?

I throw an overstable putter...hell most of the time you cant tell because they are thrown so soft anyways.

Over stable midrange- Z Wasp: This is the disc the Buzzz was based off of, nice predictable flights.
Putter - Soft Banger GT: Great feeling groove top for grip, soft plastic to grab the chains.

If you're longest hole is going to be 275', I wouldn't even bring the Surge with you. I would just throw my stalker at a hole that distance.

This is unrelated to disc but if you want to work on your game I would recommend going out to Cedar Hills or one of the other courses in the area. I think if you play Kentwood too much you will get spoiled by it.

A great overstable mid is the drone. I have a flx drone that I really enjoy. try a crush for a something that a little overstable, but not nearly as much as the surge. for a slightly more stable sturge, go with the surge ss. god I love that disc...

Over stable midrange- Z Wasp: This is the disc the Buzzz was based off of, nice predictable flights.
Putter - Soft Banger GT: Great feeling groove top for grip, soft plastic to grab the chains.

If you're longest hole is going to be 275', I wouldn't even bring the Surge with you. I would just throw my stalker at a hole that distance.

Yep I most likely won't bring the Surge to Kentwood, but I would like to have it in my lineup for when I go out to the course at Harris Lake, which is much longer.

As for the Zone, I love it as an overstable putter for those putts around trees and such, but I do much better with my challenger for more straight on putts. However, I don't like the FLX plastic very much for longer putts, it's too flimsy for me.

I was thinking about getting either a Wasp or a Drone for an overstable mid. Which of these would you guys reccommend?

Also, there are a couple dogleg right holes at the courses I play at, should I consider adding an understable fairway driver, such as the ESP Stratus I have?

CryZtal Challenger or a Pro-D Challenger. Its stiffer, but will still grab chains.

The more I throw my Stratus, the more I like it. It is the best "touch" disc I've ever throw. By that, I mean that you can use just a little wrist shot and it will hold its anhyzer line the whole way. It's a situational disc that I only use a couple times per round, but the shorter the course, the more it gets used.

drone is a great disc, but its a meathook
now that i have one and threw it enough times...
i'm thinkin i'd be happier with the z wasp, should be a much more throwable, yet still overstable enough to make turns

I have both the Wasp and the Drone, and carry them both.

If I had to choose just one, I'd probably go with the Wasp. I only use the Drone for stronger head winds, hard left turns, (RHBH) and forehands for bigger right hand turns. But if you need that capability, then I would highly recommend it.

The Wasp will handle headwind, still fades for turns, nice hyzers and forehands, but give a bit more versatility since it's not so extreme, like a slightly overstable Buzzz.

Last edited:
i like my evolution warrior from gateway. it is very overstable. I mainly use it for longer midrange shots because i found if i dont throw it hard enough it just dives to the ground. I'm starting to reach for it more and more. it also feels more like a driver in my hand than say a gator.

A course with the longest hole at 275' , 5 Discraft?

Putter of choice
Meteor for turn over shots
Buzzz for control with predictability
Avenger for drives with fade
AvengerSS / XL for turnover drives

Without knowing a course and conditions, I'd feel confident in navigating any short course with that lot.

i like my evolution warrior from gateway. it is very overstable. I mainly use it for longer midrange shots because i found if i dont throw it hard enough it just dives to the ground. I'm starting to reach for it more and more. it also feels more like a driver in my hand than say a gator.

oops i missed your part about discraft only.

Predator
XL
Buzzz
Zone
Putter-challenger, gt banger, or magnet....or any other putter that you really like...its such a personal preference.

Same deal. I might take the Surge out (unless it's REALLY broken in then who needs any other disc?) but I might replace the surge with an XL.

Oh also, I'm very Pro Buzzz.

\/\/

get a squall. its half mid range half driver and can be used for anything. its the disc i go to when i dont know which disc to throw.

Both the Drone and Wasp are great discs. You can use either to develop a FH and really attack those dogleg right holes! The Wasp will be more versatile initially. If you need something a little longer, The Reaper is a great disc for going relatively straight before a sharp fade at the end.