• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

Yes Hex is a real nice disc. I never bagged an Axis but based on a few tosses Hex seems similar.

Reactor is the next step up in stability, with a light Fission Reactor somewhat intermediate (mine is new but I am hoping it will beat in within a reasonable time).

Yeah I've got one of the E King Eclipse 2.0 reactors as well as a fission. I had been thinking the fission might end up replacing the axis(es). I mean, between that and the Hex it looks to be covered.

My 169g Hex is nice, tough for me to compare it to the axis. A light axis didn't fly right, 176g axis were money. The axis is harder to get up to speed for the short game, yet somehow I find the hex more turn resistant. The axis would cut much deeper turns and has a bit more glide, I'd put it closer to a beefy comet on roids. The hex is more like a seasoned buzzz but is much more usable on 150' + holes.

Go figure.

My 169g Hex is nice, tough for me to compare it to the axis. A light axis didn't fly right, 176g axis were money. The axis is harder to get up to speed for the short game, yet somehow I find the hex more turn resistant. The axis would cut much deeper turns and has a bit more glide, I'd put it closer to a beefy comet on roids. The hex is more like a seasoned buzzz but is much more usable on 150' + holes.

Go figure.

Yeah i kind of get what you're saying. Yesterday in the field this Hex felt slower than my axis. Like it flies like a slower disc until, oops, it's going 300' on a rope.

It's stubbornly straight. I think someone upthread said it self corrects to straight, haha, but I kinda get it.

It's stubbornly straight. I think someone upthread said it self corrects to straight, haha, but I kinda get it.

There appears to be some variation to them. Firmer plastic is more stable than the softer run.

In my futile quest for mold minimization, I got a 168g fission Reactor hoping it would do Hex things. While very cool and LONG, I think the fiz Reactor will always have more lateral movement than the Hex, even after some wear.

Dropped the more stable Hex back in the bag for a tourney last weekend and it did work hitting tight gaps in the woods. Just dead f'n straight. I love the feel of the softer run but love the flight of the firm one.

So yeah, I bag 4 mids in 4 different molds. Quake, Reactor, Hex and Comet. Streets doesn't even bag 4 discs total.

There appears to be some variation to them. Firmer plastic is more stable than the softer run.

That's interesting. I like to bag a soft N Envy because it's, if not more OS, much less glidey, than the firms. It's great for "OS" approach work into risky greens.

Still loving the Hex. I threw it a ton playing new courses on a New England road trip. Two holes at Greystone Woods illustrate the Hex's versatility.

Hole 4 is 345' downhill, straight through a tight gap and then fade to the basket. I couldn't see the fairway past the bend so I tried to lay up with the Hex. I thought I had landed in the fairway but couldn't find the darn disc. Turned out I was searching way too short - the Hex landed just outside the circle. :eek:

As those who have seen me play can attest, I am not a big arm by any stretch of the imagination. Getting a birdie putt with a midrange on a 345' hole is remarkable for me, downhill or not.

Hole 15 is a tricky 244' blind turnover. Put the Hex on an anny, hit the line, heard a solid "thwack", and thought I hit a tree near the basket. Nope, turns out there is a creek just short of the pin. Whoops. I must have hit a log on the far side of the creek and bounced back into the water.

But the Hex was dead on line to the pin. Good disc, that Hex. :thmbup:

L3kAL6G.jpg

Lobster on left, Hex on right. Lobster is a great complementary understable disc to the Hex! In fact you can get very similar hand feeling rocking an Eclipse Reactor, Neutron Hex, and Neutron Lobster to cover nearly all your midrange shapes. All sport that same smooth, modern, rounded profile, just with slightly varying PLH.

L3kAL6G.jpg

Lobster on left, Hex on right. Lobster is a great complementary understable disc to the Hex! In fact you can get very similar hand feeling rocking an Eclipse Reactor, Neutron Hex, and Neutron Lobster to cover nearly all your midrange shapes. All sport that same smooth, modern, rounded profile, just with slightly varying PLH.

That looks like a solo mold ....not a hex?

Oh man I know you aren't really talking about much... hex stuff ya know...

But all these posts popping up makes me want to throw my hex tonight. Must be repetition. Haha

Mint discs are molded and produced by MVP. The Lobster has very much the same feel in the hand to me as my Hex, so I thought it would be a good understable complement to people who enjoy the Hex. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mint discs are molded and produced by MVP. The Lobster has very much the same feel in the hand to me as my Hex, so I thought it would be a good understable complement to people who enjoy the Hex. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cool - I didn't know that. I'm drowning in Piwakawakas, Uplinks, Paradoxes and Theories so I'm sort of covered for the understable mid :)

Just want to say.

This disc is amazing on FH and BH. Laser.

Sometimes I wonder why I throw it. Because I can get about 90% of the distance with an Envy, with that sort of 'extra life' safety of a putter. And then if I want more D, I'll disc up. That leaves this 300-330 sort of window, and that's not too many throws.

It does a ton of stuff just fine. Big hyzer, anny shapes.

But man, does this disc just blow the doors off the laser beam test.

You know, you have a target, the disc tracks straight to that target, not wavering left or right. Both FH and BH. For my arm. I'm talking 300' ish.

Other discs do this too. But for me, this one does it so reliably on FH. Feels like I have to send it about 15° on hyzer so it flips up, idk, that's just the swing-thought, but man, it just tracks dead straight.

Oh btw I think the new batch is close enough to the prior run. Also consistent af. I'm getting these really tight groupings, fwiw.

The hex and also the uplink are awesome discs but also a bit unassuming. I didn't think much of my uplink until I lost it and realized just how crucial it was. The hex was another disc where I assumed I could play without it but I could never take it out of the bag. And then I lost that one and felt naked. So I've bought two now to have a back up. Max weight super straight with a small fade at the end. It's really a great disc and it's pushing the crave out of the bag for me

The hex and also the uplink are awesome discs but also a bit unassuming. I didn't think much of my uplink until I lost it and realized just how crucial it was. The hex was another disc where I assumed I could play without it but I could never take it out of the bag. And then I lost that one and felt naked. So I've bought two now to have a back up. Max weight super straight with a small fade at the end. It's really a great disc and it's pushing the crave out of the bag for me

I wil heartily second that thought... the hex is the Supreme one mid choice (that's not currently itb). The new mids push far!!! Fairway driver far.. It's kinda weird. The FH lasers!!!!!! So great for that!!! I bought it for BH but it found bag space as a FH disc. Kinda redundant with an envy for BH.

I tried putting down the uplink, but I just couldn't.. Glad you and I worked through it :D it's really an amazing touch disc that's truly a usable, and truly (mostly) understable.

I wil heartily second that thought... the hex is the Supreme one mid choice (that's not currently itb). The new mids push far!!! Fairway driver far.. It's kinda weird. The FH lasers!!!!!! So great for that!!! I bought it for BH but it found bag space as a FH disc. Kinda redundant with an envy for BH.

I tried putting down the uplink, but I just couldn't.. Glad you and I worked through it :D it's really an amazing touch disc that's truly a usable, and truly (mostly) understable.

Meh, played a two round B tier yesterday on a slightly technical course and only threw the Hex a few times. One memorable slightly uphill flick approach of about 225' on a mild anny angle. Slowly turned all the way and slid under the basket.

Between the Ohm, Comet and Reactor, the Hex didn't get much work. Been trying to work the eclipse Reactor out of the bag but it was my MVP yesterday and solidified a spot in my bag.