• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Desert Distance Challenge 2016

All distance comps in the past...wind
All the past complaints about the validity of the records...none
This thread...DGCR dumping on a serious accomplishment because 1000' has been breached.

The longest throw will become the new record. It's a record whether you think it is or not so grab a box of tissues and have a good cry. Guess it's time to start your own organization and find a facility that'll allow for a sterile testing environment to make all ten of you miserable Rec-level keyboard warriors happy.

Well maybe my paradigm needs to change. I do have some credibilty-look at my profile, "enjoys long tailwind drives" or something like that. Can't remember the verbage but I love this kind of stuff.

If the wind is kicking up, like a cold front is coming thru (usually brings the highest winds) I might be inclined to go out and drop bombs.

But up to a certain point. Anything over 25/30 and I'm inclined not to go out. Maybe we have ushered in a new era of distance throwing more towards the extreme end of things though unfortunately.

Something great is going to come out of this I know. The distance comps in my mind have gotten better not worse. More spectators, more hype (just look at the attention this is getting), better discs, better athletes. Major evolution here!

But still I'm skeptical with severity of this wind during that throw. I said nothing about Simon's 30 mph record. Nothing, totally legit in my mind.. But this...

So anyway tell me someone got this on film right?????

In that case, do you measure the wind speed on the ground, at flight level, both?

Ground level is probably good enough in most cases. Wind speed usually from my experience doesn't seem to change much until you get pretty high up - higher than most DGers are going to throw anyways.

All distance comps in the past...wind
All the past complaints about the validity of the records...none
This thread...DGCR dumping on a serious accomplishment because 1000' has been breached.

The longest throw will become the new record. It's a record whether you think it is or not so grab a box of tissues and have a good cry. Guess it's time to start your own organization and find a facility that'll allow for a sterile testing environment to make all ten of you miserable Rec-level keyboard warriors happy.

No tissues for me. I'll just be chuckling at the absurdity of it all.

the video in the breaking the 1000 ft barrier thread is nuts

I know everyone is upset about 60 mph but Innovas quote below. If you want to argue please argue with quoted "facts".

From Innova page:
"Innova Team Member David Wiggins Jr. smashes current world distance record with a throw of 338 meters (1108.92 feet). He threw a white, 154 gram R-Pro Boss. Wind speed during the throw was 38-42mph. More information to come."

I also think that Dave got blasted for his original record shattering with a 134 gram disc. Like couldn't get no respect cause it was so light kind of thing.

I thought this was genius. And it took forever for the plastic technology to catch up with what I knew was key-less weight.

So once again were busting Dave's "" for going out and ripping it real hard into an absurd left to right tail wind.

I think Dave is busting into some new horizons on distance just not sure where it will end up though-No PUN...

Last edited:
What people don't seem to understand is that the WFDF already has a non wind aided record: the indoor record. Its pretty simple. For the outdoor record you use whatever conditional advantage you can. For the indoor record you are constrained to essentially controlled conditions. Its not the WFDF's fault that no body has bothered to attempt the indoor record in a long time.

I'd really love to see these guys take a real go at the indoor record. Their is a pretty big logistical barrier to doing so, but it would be worth trying if their was a way for it to be feasible.

How do we merge this thread with the 1000 foot barrier thread. Were all talking about the same thing.

Maybe it was a mistake on my part of starting this thread in multiple areas according to what specifically could be talked about.

Oops.. we can't do that here. On on another hobby forum site that I post on the administrator merges threads. He's not always happy about it but does it when multiply threads start getting huge that are covering the same material.

Sorry- experienced dger here but not an experienced web user.

Last edited:
Stokely broke the record shortly after I started playing and we were absolutely astonished by how far he threw.

And now Wiggins is throwing almost twice that far. And over 200' farther than the record set the previous day, which was the first over 900?

Wind, no wind, whatever... this is insanely impressive.

I can't imagine what these guys are feeling when they hit one just right out there. That has to be exhilarating for them.
Hats off to all of them out there setting records.

I don't know if there is one but I think there should be indoor furthest shot. Don't know how many places could hold an event however.

I don't know if there is one but I think there should be indoor furthest shot. Don't know how many places could hold an event however.

The WFDF maintains an indoor record. I don't believe anyone has officially attempted to break it in a long time though. I would love to see these guys try and tackle the indoor record next, I'm sure they'd destroy it.

Latest posts