• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Is it supposed to be a cabin with all windowed front or something?

The cabin that looks like a big display case (all glass front) and has that huge solar panel in front of it is a private cabin built by someone who is planning to live there, I think. People in my group were talking to the guy that built it, so all my info on that is second hand.

The half-finished "treehouse" cabin somewhere else on Gold is an unfinished HB project. It's basically just one elevated platform, now rotting away in the woods.

The half-finished "treehouse" cabin somewhere else on Gold is an unfinished HB project. It's basically just one elevated platform, now rotting away in the woods.

Replace "the woods" with "on a hill", and you pretty much have the Honka.

There was also some zip lines planned, but I'm not sure if those unfinished cabins are part of that. They are down on the bottom of the hill, though.

The cabin that looks like a big display case (all glass front) and has that huge solar panel in front of it is a private cabin built by someone who is planning to live there, I think. People in my group were talking to the guy that built it, so all my info on that is second hand.
Don "Tick" Ticknor owns the property (for at least 10 years now). He recently built the solar house and his son owns the lot next to him back up the 8 fairway. He also owns the Wildapple course on his property near Osseo, WI. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2010

Don "Tick" Ticknor owns the property (for at least 10 years now). He recently built the solar house and his son owns the lot next to him back up the 8 fairway. He also owns the Wildapple course on his property near Osseo, WI. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2010

Tick was out there selling discs when we were up there. He's got some sweet frisbeez.

Yeah, but how do you hold the World Recreational Championships?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

$175 for life? Sounds like a cash grab.

I had the pleasure of playing a round with Don at Mountain Man's grand opening a few weeks ago. Great guy. I believe part of 8 fairway is on his lot.

Don's been the main vendor/supplier of disc up there for a long time. Anyone see this posted just now? http://www.unitedrpa.com/

Would a type of organization like this be a hinderance to DG at this point? I mean from my point of view, the PDGA seems to be doing phenomenal as the governing body of the sport, and I personally see no reason for a second one.

I have heard of this, from John and Abby, and they were really pushing it, because and this is not my quote, "the PDGA has screwed over so many people, including Holly Finley, who John had a deal ready to go for her, and it is the PDGA's fault it fell through".

Can't say I am buying that...

. Anyone see this posted just now? http://www.unitedrpa.com/

What in the world is this?

Note: Individuals with a previous rating for disc golf do not qualify for recreational competition in United RPA.

So any PDGA member is banned? Whatever for?

$175 membership fee, for what?

A United RPA Membership Certificate

A United RPA Membership Card

A Bag Tag With Your Membership Number

A Special Disc

A Special United RPA Mini

A United RPA T-Shirt

Membership in United RPA Facebook Discussion Group

(The Membership Gift Package will ship within 30 days from signup.)

Around $25 worth of stuff for $175?

Play recreationally, but for cash?

First Annual United RPA World Recreational Disc Golf Championships!
Aug 1, 2017 – Aug 31, 2017

That's one helluva lot of disc golf to play.....

this is even more dubious than the whole American Disc Golf Tour shenanigans.

Would a type of organization like this be a hinderance to DG at this point? I mean from my point of view, the PDGA seems to be doing phenomenal as the governing body of the sport, and I personally see no reason for a second one.

I have heard of this, from John and Abby, and they were really pushing it, because and this is not my quote, "the PDGA has screwed over so many people, including Holly Finley, who John had a deal ready to go for her, and it is the PDGA's fault it fell through".

I don't think John, or Abby, know what the PDGA actually does.

Not like they brought in lawyers to break up this imaginary deal.

Also doesn't John still owe the PDGA and Chuck a bunch of money from World's?

Yeah, but how do you hold the World Recreational Championships?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

$175 for life? Sounds like a cash grab.

John discussed this with us at length when we were up there over the 4th. As the demographic (I think?) he's trying to reach with this, it definitely reeks of a cash grab. Maybe a desperate move to raise funds for Highbridge's continued operation?

I have a hunch that a guy that can't keep a few disc golf courses running well, is probably going to have a hard time running a full disc golf organization.

Summer of 20...10, maybe? I went up there for an unsanctioned tournament that John had plastered all over the Highbridge website. Got up there and we ran into 3-4 other groups the whole weekend and only one even knew what I was talking about, but they never bothered signing up. I even talked to John the week before to make sure we had a campsite (it was implied they'd be in short supply) that was included with my entry.

When we finally talked to John while he was making his firewood drops late Friday night, he said he didn't know how many were signed up, but to make sure we turned in our scorecards at the pro shop before Saturday night's bonfire for prizes. Of course nobody was at the pro shop all day on Saturday and the only event Saturday night was a bonfire that was probably visible in Ashland (not gonna lie, that was awesome).

So yeah, this is probably another easy pass unless you've got $175 you need to make disappear.

I don't think John, or Abby, know what the PDGA actually does.

Not like they brought in lawyers to break up this imaginary deal.

Also doesn't John still owe the PDGA and Chuck a bunch of money from World's?

Yup. John talking ish about the PDGA stinks to high hell that he's still salty about getting the smackdown from them from not paying his obligations from worlds.

Yup. John talking ish about the PDGA stinks to high hell that he's still salty about getting the smackdown from them from not paying his obligations from worlds.
What does he 'owe' the PDGA for worlds?

Purely financial? Or things that were promised that were not delivered on?

What does he 'owe' the PDGA for worlds?

Purely financial? Or things that were promised that were not delivered on?

Right before worlds was hosted at Highbridge, some baskets were sent to him to be used at the tournament and going forward at Highbridge. I don't know if they were sent by the PDGA or a manufacturer, but he was supposed to pay for them. John didn't think he had to and still hasn't paid for them. So the PDGA said no sanctioned tournaments for you.

This was said a while ago, only thing ive ever heard about it.

There are two sides to this whole (who owes who money) story (as there are for most stories). The continual High Bridge bashing that occurs in this thread really is not productive in any way...

There are two sides to this whole (who owes who money) story (as there are for most stories). The continual High Bridge bashing that occurs in this thread really is not productive in any way...

It's all deserved, from what I've heard (with a local source). John just isn't good at business. There's not much more to it than that.