• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Any word on if the back 9 of the Bear is mowed and in decent shape? Love that track.

A little over a month until the DSM Bushwhackers take their trip up north, so excited.

Staying at the Honka House which looks to be schweet
Definitely regretted not getting HH. Is it everyone from Bushwhackers going? Courses are awesome you guys will have a blast.

Dont go to highbridge hills expecting to get blue ribbon pines or rolling ridge type upkeep and maintanence on the courses or facilities. Approach highbridge is a camping trip to a a kick ass piece of land that has several top notch disc courses on it. This is not a place for the prissy, it is a place for the hardcore disc golfers to go and play some of the best courses in the nation. QUOTE]

Expecting a "5 star rated" Pay2Play course to be in playable condition doesn't make you a prissy disc golfer. Only a fool would expect less. I guarantee all the 5 star ratings would change if those players played their rounds when the course wasn't maintained. I just have a feeling C.K. didn't designed Gold, Granite and Blueberry's fairway's to be just as thick as the rough.

John needs to communicate better, supply timely course condition updates and this won't be a problem.

I hear the summer and fall months the courses are just fine. But in the spring... brutal.

Ever seen far northern WI in spring? That's a LOT of snow to melt, and it takes a long time to dry out enough to get to a lot of the areas that course meanders into.

We didn't know any better our first trip there last year, but our trip this year will be in the fall.

I very much agree John should strive to do a better job communicating with people, and managing his property, though. I've heard of triple bookings several times.

I have a hard time knocking John now that I have been up there. The guy pretty much does it all by himself. To see the sheer size of the land that he has to maintain gives me an appreciation for someone so dedicated to disc golf. Would it be great if the fairways could be maintained and all the good stuff all the time? Hell yeah but for a guy doing it alone and probably making no money, no qualms here. Throw in the fact that you could pay $10 and play every course as many times as you want in a day, how much more can you really ask for. I mean yeah people will bitch but tell me again where you can find 5 courses on the same plot of land to that caliber anywhere. I'll wait. There can always be improvements but for one guy the only question I would ask is how?

Definitely regretted not getting HH. Is it everyone from Bushwhackers going? Courses are awesome you guys will have a blast.

Last I heard there are at least 12 of us going with a bunch more not confirmed. There are a couple guys from Minny joining us that are friends of ours as well that have come down to play Wildcat.

A couple guys have been there before but was a long time ago so they are excited to get back.

Last I heard there are at least 12 of us going with a bunch more not confirmed. There are a couple guys from Minny joining us that are friends of ours as well that have come down to play Wildcat.

A couple guys have been there before but was a long time ago so they are excited to get back.

Very cool, if you guys have time check out Deep Water Grille in Ashland for prime rib and a flight of their brews

Anyone just get done playing highbridge this weekend??? We are heading up there this thursday, how were the courses looking/playing? Thanks for any updates.

I played on my way up to worlds and played Blueberry, Granite, Gold, and Green. Green was a little rough, but the other 3 were great.

Got back from a Highbridge excursion this weekend! Freaking. Awesome.

Blueberry, Gold and Granite were in pristine condition. Woodland was a *little* rough in spots. Bear was, um, a bear. But John was a few holes ahead of us mowing, so I suspect Bear is a little more tame now... ;)

Highbridge update and a few of my thoughts: just got back from 5 days at the mecca and boy did we have fun! Course conditions were a little hit and miss with the majority of holes on each course mowed but there were several holes on each course that we found ourselves in ankle to calf high weeds and grass. The only course I was disappointed in was Blueberry. It is the "pretty and manicured" course that shines best when it is clean cut, but that was not the case this weekend. IMO since it is not as big and majestic as granite or gold, it is its scenery (and upkeep) that makes or breaks its beauty and enjoyment. The grass wasn't so tall that you couldn't play and enjoy your round but it lacked the luster it could have had. It's like having a cherry red (or fill in your favorite color and make of car) Porche 911 but leaving it dirty on the outside...it kind of isn't all it really could be. Overall course conditions were a 7/10, could have easily been a 10 with a little more time made for mowing.
The cabins were rustic but clean inside, showers and bathroom in the basement of the Honka House were...well, primitive and grimy at best.
Golf carts were not used very much but we were thankful that we had them for our rounds at granite and gold. As we get older (my group is made of aging men) it would have been brutal to try and walk those courses so we were grateful that the carts were available. Having carts is a deciding factor in us even going to Highbridge since granite and gold would be unwalkable for some of us. We ran across a group of young 20 somethings coming off of gold and it took them 5 hours (I know, there group was probably a little big and slowed them down) but they were absolutely gassed and ready to go crash. They will quickly recover from that, but older folks like me, it would have wiped me out for not only the rest of that day but affected me the following day as well. Carts make it 100% doable and we will pay whatever price necessary to be able to have the opportunity to play granite and gold courses so PLEASE keep cart service available, we want to experience 2 of the finest courses in the world!! Side note: Because the carts they have are golf course carts, I believe the Gator style carts would be more durable for use at these courses (like the carts at Selah Ranch). If $20 per person is not enough to charge for upkeep and maintenance on carts, charge more, there are people like us that would pay more to have more. We realize it is a luxury item and would be willing to pay more for this luxury.
We met the "new Jonathan" right before we pulled out of Highbridge. He is John's new partner at the complex and is young and full of pee and vinegar (that's a good thing in this case), which I hope translates into taking the level of course care up a notch. He and John have plans to carve out a few more courses over the next year (one of them a pitch and putt course) and a couple more throughout the property as well. There continues to be "dreams" and "visions" of what they want to do with the property such as a disc golf training school/cart winches/message therapy for weary dg'ers/big 1000 person tourneys etc. If you know John he has had and tried dozens of things over time to try and drum up financial inflow at Highbridge. Some people are frustrated with this (his visions and experiments) because they believe if he just focuses on and takes care of what exists right now that's all he would need to do. The problem with him only taking care of what currently exists is that it is...well, boring. People like John are fueled by what's next and if they are not allowed to dream big and crazy they will burn out and move onto other things, and in this case, shut things down at Highbridge. John is a creative visioneer type and part of what makes things "work" is also what drives some of us crazy. I will say this, the key to continued growth and success is John finding a complementary partner that is organized and detailed and willing to stick by John through his crazy dreaming to see projects through to completion and then maintained with excellence afterwards. I hope this new Jonathan fellow is that guy.
Welp, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents of unsolicited opinion and review of what we experienced at Highbridge. I applaud John for his work and dedication at Highbridge and wish him continued success and growth. We loved our experience (second for some of us in the group) and can't wait to come back for more!!

Simple, how many carts were available? Was up there last summer and the carts were all in disrepair and John said he was done renting them as people just abused them. Was the one you used working properly? My group is going up the end of october and would love to rent carts if possible.

Simple, how many carts were available? Was up there last summer and the carts were all in disrepair and John said he was done renting them as people just abused them. Was the one you used working properly? My group is going up the end of october and would love to rent carts if possible.

We have a LARGE group going up there in six days and were promised no less than four working carts. I can keep you posted whether they are working or not and whether that promise is going to be upheld. Two years ago we were promised the same deal. There were six working carts, we were promised four, but one was taken away from us because an unannounced large group had just shown up for the day and wanted a cart too. Of our remaining three carts, which already put us in a bad mood, one had a flat and thus was unusable and another broke down half way through the Gold course. So of the four carts we were promised, we ended the day with one.

I was with Simplepmart at Highbridge. I agree 100% with his assessment of the conditions. There is no place like this on the planet where you can walk out your cabin door and basically be on the tee pad. Our group tries to go somewhere every year on the DG Trip and Highbridge is by far the most majestic and relaxing. No driving hours between courses, no hustle and bustle etc...

Carts:
When we arrived there were 3 working carts when we left 2. Two others were stalled out on Gold. 4 more are out beside the "Pro Shop" with grass growing through them. I to had heard John was done renting carts so was surprised we were able to use a couple. Hopefully, his new assistant will get things in order.

How long has the website said "closed" - sorry if its been like that a while and I'm repeating an old conversation.

There is no place like this on the planet where you can walk out your cabin door and basically be on the tee pad.

Branson Cedars Treehouz. Rent the right cabin and you walk out the door onto the tee pad for Hole 1. Rent another and you can walk off the 19th green and right to your door . . .

dogleg.jpg

Anyone been up to Highbridge recently?
Is Bear all mowed and in playing condition? That's really the only question I ever have regarding HBH :D