• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

We just reserved the Honka House for a September trip, I am quite excited and hoping for nicely mowed fairways by then. I missed out on a trip up there last year (I was up in the BWCA that week, pretty much the only trip I'd choose over DG) and my buddies all said the place was in top shape and had a blast.

Judging by his course reviews, he wasn't too sad to leave.

nothing so endearing as passive-aggressive hostility :/

Judging by his course reviews, he wasn't too sad to leave.

To each their own I suppose. He was great when we were there, the courses were in what I would consider almost as good of condition as possible, and yet he was cool enough to come party with us and have a great time. I feel the courses were better than last year which to me says he made a difference up there. He was out everyday fixing the courses and measuring distance. For my money seemed like he had a lot of dedication.

We just reserved the Honka House for a September trip, I am quite excited and hoping for nicely mowed fairways by then. I missed out on a trip up there last year (I was up in the BWCA that week, pretty much the only trip I'd choose over DG) and my buddies all said the place was in top shape and had a blast.

You're going to want to confirm your reservations 3 months out, 2 months out, 1 month out, 2 weeks out, 1 week out and 3 days out, and then call and let John know you're on your way when you get in the car.

And I'm not even kidding.

You're going to want to confirm your reservations 3 months out, 2 months out, 1 month out, 2 weeks out, 1 week out and 3 days out, and then call and let John know you're on your way when you get in the car.

He's not kidding. We didn't know whether we even had a place to sleep until 36 hours before left. He called me from Minnesota saying his neighbor would meet us at the Honka. He also didn't have a dedicated helper at the time though.

If you're going to call yourself the mecca of disc golf, you should probably have it together a little more. Just sayin'.

If you're going to call yourself the mecca of disc golf, you should probably have it together a little more. Just sayin'.

I'm sure he doesn't get a bunch of 1time email reservations that don't follow through :|

It's a bunch of Disc Golfers and Hippies way up in the North Woods. What do you want?! He'll take care of anyone who shows up :)

I'm sure he doesn't get a bunch of 1time email reservations that don't follow through :|

It's a bunch of Disc Golfers and Hippies way up in the North Woods. What do you want?! He'll take care of anyone who shows up :)
I'm one of those old disc golfer hippies from the northwoods, but that's not my point. Of course he takes care of everyone, he's a great host. All I'm saying is that a "mecca" of any sport should probably not be so shaggy and shabby. Highbridge is a diamond in the rough, all it needs is a little polishing to shine and be worthy of the title. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and I'll be there as much as I can this year, I just want to see Highbridge realize it's potential.

1) Could've been BKRanger's typo, not hers.
2) At least give her a few months to see if she gets a few items addressed before you condemn her for seeing what other courses in the area are like before implying all her time should be spent whipping High Bridge into shape.

3) She may not be Miss America, but she shouldn't have any problem making friends on the course.

Not my typo that was directly copied from the facebook post she made. I think she does need a bit of time for sure. Also the things that need to be addressed the most up there aren't really things that can be done in the winter. Hope this isn't just wishful thinking and she becomes just what the mecca needs.

He's not kidding. We didn't know whether we even had a place to sleep until 36 hours before left. He called me from Minnesota saying his neighbor would meet us at the Honka. He also didn't have a dedicated helper at the time though.

Thanks for the heads up. My buddy that is more or less organizing this year's trip did the same last year, and I know he made regular phone calls to John in the months leading up to it.

That said, I'll make sure my tent is packed. Don't much care where I sleep, but the prospect of kicking back with a bourbon on a balcony overlooking a quality DG course has me pretty damn excited.

abby - new co owner?

Was Up @ Highbridge This Weekend. Met Abby. Unforunately, She Is the Worst thing That Has Happened To Highbridge. She Thinks She Owns The Place, Type A, Overbearing, Know-it-All Personality. Drama Queen And totally Disrespectful. She Had The Audacity To Scream At John About Money And Other Things In Front Of A Group Of Customers.

Please John, Drop The Dead Weight. Her Ego And Ugly Character Do Not Mesh With The beauty Of Highbridge.

Thanks For The Hospitality John.

Abby

Iteppen sorry to hear things went down like that. How were the courses? And the facilities other than crappy attitudes?

I am not condoning nor even acknowledging I know anything about this specific situation with Abby/John but there is a storied past with Highbridge and unfulfilled promises . . . I hope this isn't happening again because it sure looked like things were looking up for Highbridge with Abby there.

I am not condoning nor even acknowledging I know anything about this specific situation with Abby/John but there is a storied past with Highbridge and unfulfilled promises . . . I hope this isn't happening again because it sure looked like things were looking up for Highbridge with Abby there.

Harr have you been there since Abby? Things were getting better but I think that can be attributed to Jonathan. Just want to hear some one with experience since Abby took over tell how the courses are. I've come to expect the worse in regards to my lodging and other things at HBH that way I'm not surprised or disappointed, but I do like to know the courses are playable if not in as great of shape that Jonathan had them.

Harr have you been there since Abby? Things were getting better but I think that can be attributed to Jonathan. Just want to hear some one with experience since Abby took over tell how the courses are. I've come to expect the worse in regards to my lodging and other things at HBH that way I'm not surprised or disappointed, but I do like to know the courses are playable if not in as great of shape that Jonathan had them.

I have not . . . I think Jonathan was focussed on course grooming, where Abby seems to be out on the course with people more, running lessons and clinics, and maybe managing the website??? . . . I hope to head back up this fall and check things out for only the second time . . . but I was hopeful there would be forward progress.

I have not . . . I think Jonathan was focussed on course grooming, where Abby seems to be out on the course with people more, running lessons and clinics, and maybe managing the website??? . . . I hope to head back up this fall and check things out for only the second time . . . but I was hopeful there would be forward progress.
If she's running the website, she's not doing a very fine job of it... considering the domain is dead.