• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

I find it hard to believe someone even played 3 hoels in a row at Chestnut. :hfive:

maxresdefault.jpg

We are still 3 weeks out... I think Rogen was there this weekend. Pics on Facebook continue to be prestine though I find it hard to believe that one guy got 3 aces in a row on Chestnut.

I LMAO'd at that one. I'm sorry I can believe alot, but I don't believe that. Even on Chestnut.

Honestly, nothing at HBH deserves to be anywhere near the top 10 at this point, and it's probably for the best that they get some bad reviews so more people will know how risky it is to make the trek there.

I regret this and take it back. It was said in frustration about seeing the place destroyed last year and anticipating worse.

The courses are looking FANTASTIC. All of them. Everything. I am shocked that Gold 8, BB 2/3 recovered, but they did. They flattened everything out and the grass all came back fine. Literally everything was mowed this weekend, and we got perfect weather. It was amazing golf.

We played every course once, including the combos, and Woodlands twice. I chained out on the little shorty over the vallye on Granite...8 maybe? From the Granberry Tee.

Bear will still crush you. It's tough.

I didnt play amazing but I did ok. Shot a +10 82 I absolutely believe I could break course par of 72.

Didnt play fantasic any round. Best were 54 woodlands, 58 BB, 71 Gold longs (par is 68).

As for the rest of HBH, its still the same bizarro land it has always been. We got a talking to by the sherriff on Sat. They were walking around telling everyone that was not technically on Johns property that its illegal to camp there; u have to be in Honka or really close to the clubhouse or other small plots he owns. They havent paid for the permits and what have you for it to be a campground - seemed kinda like a personal beef with john and the zoning guy that was with the cop.

They let us stay that night so we moved to Honka the next night. Honka is just as janksy as i imagined. Glad i experienced it tho.

Viva La Highbridge!

Last edited:
We always plan our trip in september when conditions are absolutely perfect. Although last year was rugged due to Infrasound, it was still very playable and everything mowed .... this year''s infrasound probably went smoother because of dry conditions.... you also got to give the guy at least a week to clean up a festival that just accommodated thousands of people.

Even Further is at the end of August.... does anyone know the size of this festival? Are we looking at 2017 Infrasound part 2 or smaller? Looking like it's all at Chestnut which keeps the courses clear.
Smaller, and, more importantly. Older than the median age of Infrasound. The median age last year was in the mid 30s, so we knew what we were in for, and also what to do.
Even Furthur is being hosted on the campgrounds this year, and the official word is all of the courses are going to be open.
I think there were like 3k in attendance last year. I'm not actually sure because we were all so spread out, and the main sound tent could only hold maybe a 1/4 that number when it was heaving with people.
I'd expect more like 4 - 5k this year now that the word is fully out, and we got all of that amazing press from last year. There was an awful lot more street promotion going on from all interested parties involved this year as well.

As for the rest of HBH, its still the same bizarro land it has always been. We got a talking to by the sherriff on Sat. They were walking around telling everyone that was not technically on Johns property that its illegal to camp there; u have to be in Honka or really close to the clubhouse or other small plots he owns. They havent paid for the permits and what have you for it to be a campground - seemed kinda like a personal beef with john and the zoning guy that was with the cop.

They let us stay that night so we moved to Honka the next night. Honka is just as janksy as i imagined. Glad i experienced it tho.

Viva La Highbridge![/QUOTE]

Great post on current conditions. Where exactly were you "illegally" camping? Was this at Chestnut campground or in a rogue spot that you have camped previous years?

Great post on current conditions. Where exactly were you "illegally" camping? Was this at Chestnut campground or in a rogue spot that you have camped previous years?

Well since both BB cabins are burned now, the only legit spots you can stay are the bunkhouse, the honka, or in tents on property John owns. As the officer told us like 50 times, you can see what he owns on ashland countys website. Someone posted a link to the map in this thread but I cant find it. I think the parking lot is fine too, and its a huge woodchipped lot now for the stage.

We were directly across the path/road from Gold 18s basket. Theres 3 or 4 little circles cutout in the trees by there for camping.

The guy said all they need to do is pay a one time $750 for a campground license and get running water out by the campsites. We talked to John about it the next day and he was like "Ah, they cant do nothing. Theyll send me an angry letter is all". Seemed like this is a thing there. 10 min after the cops left at like 11pm, Abby drives by in reverse like "Glow round on Woodlands!" I couldnt help but laugh, it was such a bizarre night. Great time though.

Lets see...what else was different. Bear hole 1 is now a big woodchipped lot for the last 200' or so. Many baskets on woodlands are leaning hard bc they arent in well, or theyre just bent. I didnt play Chestnut so idk whats up down there. Gold could use some trimming; every year the lines get a bit tighter.

Attachments

• 20170804_113731.jpg
    20170804_113731.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
What's the deal with the golf carts up there? I remember stories of people having various issues with the carts or even problems getting to use the carts that they had reserved. Anyone used one at Highbridge recently?

Sorry Rogen but still not quite understanding where you were when the Sheriff told you that you needed to relocate your whole campsite....You were at the chestnut campsite Right? And if that's the case, isn't all of the Even Further festival on Chestnut with everyone using Chestnut campgrounds? That land dispute would really put a wrinkle in the plan.

Okay I reread you post again! I've never heard of anyone camping on the actual holes across from gold #18 so was super confused. Chestnut campground is where it's at for camping and what we have always done .... you just take the short drive each morning to the courses.

The state of WI is no longer allowing what was considered rustic camping. The water thing is pretty rediculous but laws are laws even if they are new laws. John defintely feels like hes being targeted and is trying to get grandfathered in to allow camping at chestnut. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. John has got the permits and been working on it nonstop since that saturday night.

The state of WI is no longer allowing what was considered rustic camping. The water thing is pretty rediculous but laws are laws even if they are new laws. John defintely feels like hes being targeted and is trying to get grandfathered in to allow camping at chestnut. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. John has got the permits and been working on it nonstop since that saturday night.

So what, it's against the law to set up camp on public land? Or someone else's property, even with permission? Wtf??

So what, it's against the law to set up camp on public land? Or someone else's property, even with permission? Wtf??

In Michigan, you have to get a permit from the DNR to camp on State land. No much of a hassle, but you do have to stop by a DNR office and fill out a form to post on a tree at your camp site.

What's the deal with the golf carts up there? I remember stories of people having various issues with the carts or even problems getting to use the carts that they had reserved. Anyone used one at Highbridge recently?

Most years when we go we have used carts for one day on Gold and Granite. I wouldn't bother with a reservation as they are pretty much a first come first serve type of deal so you're just wasting time there. About half of them were in working order last year definitely worth it to easily play both of those longer courses

I don't think any of HBH is public land. And on private land you apparently need a license and a water supply to charge people to camp there.

John was like "Why didn't you just say you were working for me? Didn't I tell you to guys to say that?"...and I think he did tell us that...last year. Lol. I love that place. Apparently he is allowed to let employees stay there. I don't know all the laws and regulations.

Okay I reread you post again! I've never heard of anyone camping on the actual holes across from gold #18 so was super confused. Chestnut campground is where it's at for camping and what we have always done .... you just take the short drive each morning to the courses.

There's been people there every year I have been there and with BB1 gone, it seemed like the best spot. I wouldn't want to be all the way down at Chestnut.

Yeah, it's totally first come first serve - don't bother trying to reserve, just wake up early and grab enough for your group and keep em till you are done with them. There's always some issues with them. We had the "club car" overheat (the one with the bed in the back) and had to leave it on Granite 17. Got it the next morning though and it drove fine. The 4 person cart with no roof on it is a bit dicey - you gotta pump the gas to get it going - seems really old but it made it through a round of gold longs.

Last year we were staying in Honka and John promised us carts for Gold/Granite on Saturday. The night before Abby swung by and told us she handles the cart reservations and could "Guarantee" them for an extra $20

We took our chances with John and were able to secure the carts for our group, only one had a tire with so much rubber rot and cracks it couldn't support a full 4 man crew, another tire needed air before we got to hole 1. One cart ran out of gas about halfway through granite after a full round on gold so that wasn't terrible. The carts aren't made for the type of terrain highbridge has so a couple times we needed to lighten the load or give a little push to keep moving.

From HBH's website:
Disc Golf enthusiasts have dubbed us The Mecca — and why not? With six distinct professional level eighteen-hole courses, a seventh nine-hole course, and six brother/sister eighteen-hole combo courses, a Disc Golfer can play for a week and never repeat a score-card! But that's not all we offer..... Nature and Outdoor Sports Lovers will find lots to keep them happy in every season at this beautiful Back-to-Nature retreat!

What 9 hole? I know there was a course called "White Tail" somewhere - maybe that was the 9 holer. On Woodlands you can see one of the white tail fairways with a tire swing on it. Hole 9 maybe? Whichever hole has the slightly elevated teebox that's all grown over.

And what are these other combos? I know you can easily make 2 Bear/Woodlands combos, switching over at hole 10 or 11. But looking at the map I can't figure out what other combos are possible - gold is pretty isolated from the others.

There's also a sign in the clubhouse that mentions a course called "Crown Jewel" - idk where that would have been.

From HBH's website:

What 9 hole? I know there was a course called "White Tail" somewhere - maybe that was the 9 holer. On Woodlands you can see one of the white tail fairways with a tire swing on it. Hole 9 maybe? Whichever hole has the slightly elevated teebox that's all grown over.

And what are these other combos? I know you can easily make 2 Bear/Woodlands combos, switching over at hole 10 or 11. But looking at the map I can't figure out what other combos are possible - gold is pretty isolated from the others.

There's also a sign in the clubhouse that mentions a course called "Crown Jewel" - idk where that would have been.

The "Crown Jewel" was a combo of all the courses I believe, where you play around the rim of the whole hill. John wanted me to make extra signage for just that.

I have heard all sorts of different numbers of courses, all of which ar BS. I saw Abby say 10 different courses on FB once.... let's be real - there's 6 courses, and multiple different layouts. Those layouts don't mean seperate courses. Just more bs'ing false advertising IMO.