• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hill courses make you better?

chris717

Eagle Member
I play Elysian chavez ridge extremely roller park if you mess up two options roll all the way down hill or +1 maybe 2.. if you really have a bad day. Decided to go to OG (pasadena) park, played my best low score flat land makes you feel so comfortable . Technical parks really help you improve your game at open courses, does anyone play better after a rolling park?

I'll agree with that.

The first course I ever played --and the only one I played for a while-- is a gnarly course with trees everywhere and mad elevation changes that sound like what you're describing. It puts a prime on accuracy and shot-shaping rather than wide-open distance. I think learning distance is easier to learn than learning different shots and good placement; so once I sort of had the technical stuff down, longer drives came when I started playing some more open courses. I'm glad my disc golf game developed that way instead of the other way around.

Plus I think technical shots are way more fun than wide-open drives.

I think any course that challenges you and makes you face risk/reward decisions is going to do more for your game than a flatter, less risky course. Oak Grove is fun, but not all that difficult with very few holes that punish you badly for an errant shot. Chavez Ridge is short, but you have to really focus on shot placement or you'll pay.

I definately agree that technical courses which make you focus on accuracy and placement shots tend to make you a better player, however, to be a great all-around player, you need to also have distance, which I found out the hard way. Playing technical courses most of the time had my accuracy down well, however, when I went to more "Wide open" couses I tended to fall back, because the courses I played most, I didn't have to have the long drive. So, I had to go practice some courses which tended to be more open to develop my long game to be a more competitive "all around" player. Play the technical course as much as possible to develope your accuracy, but from time to time, go out to the open long ones and keep your distance game up as well!

I don't have problems with rolling at Chavez. Know why? I throw a soft pro Rhyno for approaches.

Yeah, but you still have to be careful on your drives, for a RHBH thrower it's easy to hyzer out and skip off down the hill. Personally I think that is over used there, too many of the holes are basically the same, and none really use the elevation except as a hazard off to the side rather than actually throwing up or down the hills.

The reason i love open courses is because of distance drives. when i play courses like OG I get to throw with no care for rolling so I still set myself up for bird/par. And Elysian helps me focus on my accuracy drives and hard putts which i do with pro Jk Aviar and spider.

I like to stick to a course that has it all. Short wooded holes, long wooded holes, long open holes, creeks side holes, uphill, downhill, sideways, water, dry, etc... Come to Lincoln Ridge in Independence, KY. I've only played a few courses. I've played Idle. I'll take Lincoln Ridge over anything.

The closest course to my house is also the hardest and most technical course I have ever played. There are only two holes that I would say that are not long, but I would not say that they are short either. Extreme elevation changes and shot shaping with distance. The course record set in a tournament is two under. So you could never say that it is a slouch. I find that since I play there three or four days a week that when I go somewhere else to play it is never as hard or technical as my home course and I feel comfortable and relaxed. I usually have scores that are a lot better than what I think I would get if I were not to play the course I play at home.

Just played Elysian yesterday. I was quite rusty so my score wasn't great. I don't like playing the course as much because I use a Shark on most of my tee shots there. There's nowhere to open up. I throw an EagleX for big hyzer route on 3. I sidearm 16 with a StarfireX and I throw the EagleX again 18 when it's long. Elysian has a large number of holes where landing angles are key. I threw a Shark on 5 with a touch of anhyzer to prevent a fade out and it landed with that angle and cut rolled in a u-turn right back towards me 75' and then turned down the hill to the lower path for hole 2. That's the only bit of luck that hit me.

I did almost ace 6 and 7 consecutively tho.

Imo water really forces skill. When elevation and wind are added it'll make any mistake regretfull.

While probally not so common here on dgcr, I find many players only really play their nearest couple courses. I tend to frequent over a dozen courses, from ball golg style to super wooded, flat to rolling hills.
While at first it hurt me-having lower skilled players edge me out- its now definatly an advantage.

I like to stick to a course that has it all. Short wooded holes, long wooded holes, long open holes, creeks side holes, uphill, downhill, sideways, water, dry, etc... Come to Lincoln Ridge in Independence, KY. I've only played a few courses. I've played Idle. I'll take Lincoln Ridge over anything.

I have to agree. I've played a lot of great courses, and some not so great, but Lincoln Ridge is the best for making you use your complete game. Short, long, tight, open, uphill, downhill, lefties and righties. It's all there in 24 holes. :thmbup:

I feel I make better decisions on these so called harder courses, but this might be because tighter lines call for certain shots where there are little/no options. Open field shots make me feel like I can do almost anything, then tend to make a bad decision. Tighter, technical holes force you to make a certain shot, and give you less of a buffer if you miss your line.

I love Elysian Park. My short game has improved a lot ever since I decided that I love that course.

I don't know if the course being 'hilly' is what is helping you at OG. While the course is ON a hill, most, if not all of the holes, are relatively flat. They just travel along the side of it. I think the courses technical nature combined with the harsh punishment the hill can give you is what is helping you elsewhere.

I know WHY most people don't like the course, but I like it because most people don't play there! It's quiet, who is there is cool, and I can play at my own pace without worrying about crowds.

I'm going to to out on a limb, and say that playing hilly courses makes you better at playing hilly courses. Not really sure how it would improve your play on a long wide open, flat hole with scattered trees. Maybe you get a little more clue what your disc does in certain situations, but you can do that almost anywhere. Knowing how your disc glides going down a 100' drop probably doesn't impact a lot of other areas of your game. Play tough, varied courses and you'll cover it all.

Hills definately make you play a bit different, especially steep hills near the basket. Not only do you have to throw the disc on the right line, but also have to worry about how it will hit the ground. Will it land on the edge or flat? You try to predict how it will act after it hits the ground and use that to your advantage.

Yeah, but you still have to be careful on your drives, for a RHBH thrower it's easy to hyzer out and skip off down the hill. Personally I think that is over used there, too many of the holes are basically the same, and none really use the elevation except as a hazard off to the side rather than actually throwing up or down the hills.

That's when I throw a forehand.

Imo water really forces confidence. When elevation and wind are added it'll make any mistake regretfull.

While probally not so common here on dgcr, I find many players only really play their nearest couple courses. I tend to frequent over a dozen courses, from ball golg style to super wooded, flat to rolling hills.
While at first it hurt me-having lower skilled players edge me out- its now definatly an advantage.

fixed.

Latest posts