• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hobbyist golf line distance age 46+ expectations?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
What's your experience?

10 months into playing disc golf, I'm age 46. From your many moons experience, what are reasonable max golf line distances on course that I should be looking for to 'be satisfied'? 400'? 475'? I'm not going to get mad that I can't hit 550'. 350' is easy though. I am a casual disc golfer, but I do spend more time working on form than I do on the course. IOW, the guys I play with don't work on form at all, and imagine a lot of casual players don't much either. I don't play league (because of scheduling/responsibility conflicts), but I do play every Tues with buddies, and once or twice more each week.

Of course everyone has different health/limitations, but assume I don't have any and I'm functionally (not profoundly) athletic and coordinated. If I were 26 or 86 I'd have different expectations. I'd be chasing 500' at 26, and I'd hope to be on the course at all at 86.

Others can help you with distance but 10 months in I would ask how's your short game?

If you are going to compete in the future give that attention also.

Good luck with your goals, I love watching a bomb. I prefer it coming out of my hand but seeing one in person is great.

I'd focus on getting the longest distance you can with the roundest edge discs you carry. Keeping that up as you age will help increase/maintain your accuracy even if your open field driver distance decreases over time (likely).

Others can help you with distance but 10 months in I would ask how's your short game?

If you are going to compete in the future give that attention also.

Good luck with your goals, I love watching a bomb. I prefer it coming out of my hand but seeing one in person is great.

My putting is just ok. My approach game is probably the best from hitting trees 100' off the tees with regularity... if I don't hit a tree off the tee, I miss the 30' putt and get par. If I hit a tree off the tee, and have a look at the basket, the upshot is usually close and I make the putt. But... hitting a tree and being very obstructed is frequent enough to keep a few bogeys every round.

My putting is just ok. My approach game is probably the best from hitting trees 100' off the tees with regularity... if I don't hit a tree off the tee, I miss the 30' putt and get par. If I hit a tree off the tee, and have a look at the basket, the upshot is usually close and I make the putt. But... hitting a tree and being very obstructed is frequent enough to keep a few bogeys every round.

I think someone at your experience should be concentrating on form and not distance, like sidewinder said...in his words.

I have played with some new players that could bomb 150-200 ft farther than me but could never beat me in a round of golf.

But this is about fun and what is fun for you? A low score in golf or throwing 400+ feet?

But this is about fun and what is fun for you? A low score in golf or throwing 400+ feet?

Both are fun!

My form and aim off the tee is improving. Moreso form than aim, but they are related. The switch from muscles to fluidity is taking place.

I also have a basket and practice putting. Recently switched to a straddle-ish, pitch putt from a staggered push putt.

I could throw 400 within months of playing, took me 6 years to get good at putts longer than 20ft. Plus you gain more strokes in event rounds making every putt than throwing bombs. I can go 500+ now but in a regular round on most courses that extra 100 ft only gets me 1-2 strokes on people who top at 400.

Only been playing for four years, usually about two rounds a week. Just a shade over 50. My best rips are only about 350' and that's about all I can do regardless of what I try. I'm happy there at my age and with some limiting physical conditions and playing at 5,000'+ above sea level.

I play with guys half my age who can easily throw 450+ but I don't have too much trouble keeping up with them on the scorecard. My short game is dialed but working on my putting could probably save me two or three strokes per round.

I just rely more on accuracy and shot placement than distance and I'm happy with that.

One of the 50+ guys that I play with has more distance than me off the tee but I can usually hang right in with him on scores. He plays a lot of tournaments and usually places well so I imagine I wouldn't do horrible in the 50+ class.

I would focus on cleaning your form. Distance will come as needed. The cleaner your form with lower speed discs, the greater distance you will have - even if you are not doing field work to push the distance. There are numerous threads/reports of people taking off time for weather or injury, and then have gains when they come back. If you can hit your line at 350' every time, you have probably slowed your speed down - and then when you bomb, it should be longer if conditions are favorable.

Ultimately, I think you need to answer the question about max distance or score. Personally, 80-90% of the holes I play are wooded, so I'm much more concerned about hitting my lines. I push my game by trying to pure the tunnel shots near max effort. While controlled, and not with max D discs, it I can get my form clean - when I get to that open hole, if I can repeat the cleanliness I get the bombs.

From time to time I play putter only rounds. Maybe not as fun - but definitely helps my form. There's a reason why the pros are play 400' holes with putters....

All that being said - if you primarily play open holes - the max D will be more important, and I'd try to get to a spot where 400' is "easy".

But - the fact that you are at your age and picking up disc golf - you probably know a bad day playing disc-golf is, in the big picture, probably a good day ;)

What's your experience?

10 months into playing disc golf, I'm age 46. From your many moons experience, what are reasonable max golf line distances on course that I should be looking for to 'be satisfied'? 400'? 475'? I'm not going to get mad that I can't hit 550'. 350' is easy though. I am a casual disc golfer, but I do spend more time working on form than I do on the course. IOW, the guys I play with don't work on form at all, and imagine a lot of casual players don't much either. I don't play league (because of scheduling/responsibility conflicts), but I do play every Tues with buddies, and once or twice more each week.

Of course everyone has different health/limitations, but assume I don't have any and I'm functionally (not profoundly) athletic and coordinated. If I were 26 or 86 I'd have different expectations. I'd be chasing 500' at 26, and I'd hope to be on the course at all at 86.

I think 350 feet is enough to be satisfied with. You'll be eligible for GM divisions in a few years, and a 350 foot drive is a good distance for that class. I agree with Sidewinder that you could reach 400 feet if want to put in the work.

If you decide to try to get 400 feet, I would suggest you also start working more on your short game. Learn different get out of trouble shots, and work on your putting.

I'm 48, just came back last year after 14 years off. I only throw about 300' but I'm accurate and I can putt. Played in 4 MA-40+ events last year in Michigan (3 of them sanctioned). Won one of them, cashed in two others. The only bad round I had was my first one when I was nervy. The rest of the time I was shooting 920-950 golf.

You don't need big distance as an old guy if you have the other stuff.

Welcome to the sport! Like others have said, having fun is the ultimate goal. I include playing well in that mission personally. It's fun to play with others and it's fun to throw well. Keep at it!

I don't have any aspirations of chasing tournaments, though I might enter a local one sometime. I just wanted a reference point if I'm throwing as well as I should be able to. Distance is a fair measure of form, especially so the older we get.

If I am in the ballpark, on the right track, then I'll be content with incremental progress over years on potting together a complete game. Backhand form seemed like a good place to start.

What's your experience?

54 here, I max out at 420 on a good throw, under right conditions. Usually around 350 - 360. I agree with other comments, 350 is good in this age group for competition. But it really is a ton of fun and a great feeling to rip a well placed accurate bomb once in a while. Lately I have been very conscious of warming up properly and listening to my body. This game really does generate alot of torque and puts much stress on the body so I have been paying more attention to staying healthy so i can stay out on the course.

My putting has started to come around lately and I get equal satisfaction and fun from burying a long putt into the heart of the chains.

It really is all about having fun. I know a tournament player who can bomb 450 feet, but his putting is admittedly horrible. So he encourages everyone to lay up outside of 40 feet. Maybe that helps him keep manage his scores in tournaments, but to me that would suck the joy right out of the game, lol.

Last edited:
My best competition, golf line distance is.....in the middle. My best competition, golf line second shot distance is......under the basket. My best competition, golf line third shot distance is....tap in.

I don't have any aspirations of chasing tournaments..

250ft of controllable distance is fine for casual rec play. Typical MP40 players will throw around 350-400. You're right in the ball park. :thmbup:

54 here, I max out at 420 on a good throw, under right conditions. Usually around 350 - 360.

That's pretty much elite distance for that age group. Nice! :clap:

250ft of controllable distance is fine for casual rec play. Typical MP40 players will throw around 350-400. You're right in the ball park. :thmbup:

My Max in a wide open field is in the 440s, two throws in a row. Haven't been able to catch that again, but it's inside somewhere. On my home course there's only one par3 I haven't landed pin high. Requires a 30' max height at a specific point, and I usually err either side and catch phantom limbs. It measures around und 380' with the range finder. But they moved it to the short pin, so all good for now.

The thing i noticed is that as soon as I was satisfied with my distance and worked on consistency, my distance plateaud and maybe even regressed slightly while working in more and more control.

Yes, there is a point where you benefit more from working on other aspects of the game, but never be satisfied, there is always a longer hole out there which you can't park yet.

Lol, don't get the wrong idea. That is with an MVP Relativity with a calm wind. Understable plastic has become my best friend. ;) There is a 60 year old touring player nearby who is 970 rated and puts us all to shame distance wise.

Last edited:
I think the distance vs short game priority also depends on what courses you play.

Distance driver, 100 foot approach, tap in on the bulk of the holes gets old pretty fast. Every foot of distance you can find is huge. If you are playing courses where you really only open up on a couple of 600 ft par 4's, going from 350 to 400 is probably less impactful to your to your overall experience.

Latest posts