• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

is the top of that a wheel-chair wheel?

To confirm what Chucker already answered... yes it is.

So am I counting right? 18 outer chains? How many inner chains are you using? It looks like a fountain of chains. :) It's just beautiful. I wish I could come across a good deal on chain for my second basket.

The green looks insanely fast. Have you had any discs bounce off of the tire yet? The few times I've had a disc bounce off of mine the disc has deflected off of it and rolled away at a pretty good clip. One time it rolled right back to me where I was standing (10m away on flat ground during practice) and I bent down and grabbed it as it rolled up. I will say it was very convenient. :D Anyway, I just imagined a deflection like that on that hill would be disastrous. By no means a bad thing. It would certainly make you focus on the putt.

18 outer and 9 inner chains. It really pulls in putts that are off center pretty well. When I got my bill at Lowes for all of the chain and S-Hooks this time I was like what the heck? It was almost as much as buying an InStep basket. Of course, I'd have to add extra chains to it, too.

The only weakness that I've found with the design is that if you do putt hard, the center post being the landscaping timber instead of a skinnier metal pipe, causes some deflections that wouldn't normally happen. That's why the inner set of chains was a must. It mostly keeps even the hard putts from hitting the post. Fortunately, I don't putt hard and so this doesn't come into play much. I just found it out during testing.

I haven't gotten to play this hole much as I just completed the basket last weekend. The tee is far above the basket and it's a narrow fairway, so most of my approaches have come up short leaving me big time downhill putts. I've found myself hitting the top a lot and skipping well down the hill... some 40' down the hill. :doh: In general, from experience with my first homemade basket, the deflections off of the tire don't seem too much worse than off of metal cages. Again, I don't putt very hard, though. And sometimes, if the putt is close to the top of the tire, the tire gives in a bit and seems to slow down the disc a little.

Yes it is.
Thanks Chucker... got my back! :)

brilliant
Thanks again. My dad's in the Lion's Club and they lend medical equipment like crutches, walkers, wheel chairs, hospital beds, porta potties, etc. out to people. One wheel chair was totally broken down and my dad was recycling the metal. I measured the wheels and voila, a perfect chain holder.

Thank you both for the interest!

I made this target to use in my back yard. It is portable, so I can take to my kids little league practices and look weird throwing discs at targets there also. I used 3/4" PVC for the "loop", and a mesh bag that came with come beach toys or something my kids had. I also used a 3/4" pvc pipe as the stand also, but in my "original design" I was using the coffee can filled with concrete, and a 3/4" pipe sticking out of the concrete. For this, I had to use a larger 1" "coupler pipe".

Then I saw the Christmas tree holder being used! Great idea! Tried that last night. Still has to be weighted down a bit, therefore the rock on the base. It's okay for a little short practice in back yard.

IMG_5935.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

This is the original base. I would have to use an old tire iron I had to stick through pipe and anchor it into grass or dirt for support.

I made this target to use in my back yard. It is portable, so I can take to my kids little league practices and look weird throwing discs at targets there also. I used 3/4" PVC for the "loop", and a mesh bag that came with come beach toys or something my kids had. I also used a 3/4" pvc pipe as the stand also, but in my "original design" I was using the coffee can filled with concrete, and a 3/4" pipe sticking out of the concrete. For this, I had to use a larger 1" "coupler pipe".

Clever design and very cost effective! I'm curious, how do the dimensions of the opening of your target compare to a regulation basket? Bigger or smaller?

Clever design and very cost effective! I'm curious, how do the dimensions of the opening of your target compare to a regulation basket? Bigger or smaller?

You know, I haven't actually measured that... I had the disc in one shot for reference.... just off hand, I think it is about the same, if not just a little bigger, but I will measure it when I get home tonight!

You need to get to the "Goat Path" a private course in Cub Run KY. 18 hole course and half the baskets are homemade of a variety of materials. I'll be there for tourney in a few week and will get some pictures and info to add the course to this site. I play the tourney there ever December and it's a blast.

You need to get to the "Goat Path" a private course in Cub Run KY. 18 hole course and half the baskets are homemade of a variety of materials. I'll be there for tourney in a few week and will get some pictures and info to add the course to this site. I play the tourney there ever December and it's a blast.

:thmbup: Please do! I would love to see pics of a course with that many tourney eligible homemade baskets.

My homemade basket

Tell me what you think....I plan on adding more chains when I get a chance.

Attachments

• disc basket.jpg
    disc basket.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 154
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 134
picture.php
Built this the other day. Took about 3 hours, just found stuff around my house, mostly pool supplies. Total Cost = $0. But I have another pole and base so I'm looking to put some real chains in the next one I make.

picture.php
This is my first hole. I have three tee lengths set up, 164 ft. 183 ft. and 210 ft.