• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

^^^^^still don't know how to post img directly. Ok so here is how I made it.
For the Base and Basket bottom I used sheet aluminum (old street signs i.e. stop sign etc.) cut down to 26in diameter.
For top i used a bike rim.
Pole I used 2- two foot galvanized pipe 1in
to attach pole to base, basket, top rim I used 1in galvanized floor flanges X4
for basket rim I used more sheet aluminum, 12 L brackets bolted the L brackets to bottom of basket and wrapped the sheet aluminum around them (pain in the arse)
Chains- 12 outter 12 inner 24in long 2/0 zinc plated

Cost efficient? Far from it in the end spent about 125+ fun project. Works like a dream. And fully portable. Got the idea from the chris Wilson basket on youtube. just substituted the plywood (crap) for the aluminum, also he had underground sprinkler tubing for the rim on basket didn't care for that idea.

Ok I made this a couple of months ago took measurements off local basket so it would be accurate.

IMG00154-20101125-0848.jpg

IMG00151-20101125-0848.jpg

IMG00152-20101125-0848.jpg

IMG00153-20101125-0848.jpg

IMG00155-20101125-0903.jpg

De-clickified... (Hint: Use "img" tags instead of "url" tags. Click on the picture of the mountain instead of the earth with the link symbol)

Here's a few from The Goat Path
I just added this course this week.

362e0f14.jpg

b318b73d.jpg

I missed this putt - And every shot I attempted to throw that day!
1e729f48.jpg

I love playing here, Owner is a great guy and It's a fun layout. 9 Homemade baskets & 9 others (Discatcher, DGA, InStep...). Will have contact info posted later this week.

These may be some of the best I have ever seen:

Snow chains (for a car)
attachment.php

Rubber and chains
attachment.php

Garden Hose and Romex wire
attachment.php

All from a private course I played today!

Attachments

• Basket-GardenHose-Romex.jpg
    Basket-GardenHose-Romex.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Basket-RubberChains.jpg
    Basket-RubberChains.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 554
  • Basket-SnowChains.jpg
    Basket-SnowChains.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 553
Saw this at my local disc shop the other day.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The top and bottom are the cages from an old fan. The shop is selling them for $5 a piece, you take it from there. He had this one set up w/o chains just to show it off. It had 2x4s for a base and the post looks like maybe a weight bar.

I thought it was a cool idea for a basket that could be made without spending too much money. Sorry about the huge pics. :eek:

Attachments

• basket1.jpg
    basket1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 513
  • basket2.jpg
    basket2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 509
Finding the right size basket and chain assembly is the hardest part, IMO. So if you could get those for $5 and it would hold the weight of the chains, I say DO IT!

Finding the right size basket and chain assembly is the hardest part, IMO. So if you could get those for $5 and it would hold the weight of the chains, I say DO IT!

They are pretty heavy duty, like maybe from some industrial type fans.

I probably won't do it though. :\ If I had some property, I'd consider making a few like that. Prolly just gonna get a portable unit. Just thought it was a great idea and wanted to share. :)

I probably won't do it though. :\ If I had some property, I'd consider making a few like that. Prolly just gonna get a portable unit. Just thought it was a great idea and wanted to share. :)

FWIW, you don't need a ton of property to set up a practice area. I can't use any of my baskets on my "property" right now (all 1/4 acres of it), but I do have a basket in my basement with tape marks spaced at 5' increments. If I lived near Grand Rapids (I'd still cheer for Penn State), but I'd probably snap up those fan pieces and make another frankenbasket.