• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Howdy All!
I built a target because my putting sucks.
I learned:
1) Rarely used tire chains are cheap, effective and require little modification.
2) An oldschool barbell with collars works surprisingly well for a post.
3) Christmas tree stands DO work.

Here's what I did.....
P1010784.jpg

P1010786.jpg

P1010789.jpg

P1010795.jpg

• 1-1/8" plywood for the basket base and rim.
  • Random tire chains found at the local 2nd hand store.
  • 1/2" plywood for the top.
  • Oldschool barbell with collars for the post.
  • Old Christmas tree stand for the base.
  • 1/4" 'ice maker' tubing for the anchor rings (stitched together and shrink wrapped):(
  • Vinyl coated cable with crimps for the chain hangers.
I tried to spend nothing. I had all the materials except the chains and the dowel for the basket. I spent $9.99 on the dowel and ~$9 on the chains.

Nice job, and welcome to dgcr. I really should build my own or buy one, my putting could use some help again.

that is super nice. could you take a close up of the collars?

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the compliments.
I'm not sure which collars you want to see but here's a few more pics.
P1010797.jpg

P1010798.jpg

P1010799.jpg

P1010800.jpg

The copper chain rings were bent around a peanut can and a propane bottle. I cut the appropriate diameter with a tubing cutter then I drilled small holes in each end and 'stitched' them together. I had the chains and shrink wrap in place then I used some stainless steel wire I found on something shiny. The last pic shows most of the materials.
As for the post collars, they are from an old weight set that came with those plastic covered, concrete weights and a steel bar. Those seem to be a nice feature as I can easily remove or adjust the height of the basket. It's a bit of a beast though.:p

Ok, I guess I'll post a pic of the one we built this weekend.
Took us about 4 hours total, used nothing but parts we found around my Dad's garage.
(crappy phone pic, sorry)
photo0165m.jpg

List of Materials:
Base: Flywheel from a Toyota truck engine
Pose: Camper Jack cut to size
Basket: Large plastic Planter (cut to size)
Top: Medium plastic Planter (cut to size)
Chain is held on w/ zip ties for now.
We'll be upgrading this soon and adding a second set of chains, and trying to find something better for the basket.

I made a target

attachment.php

I made a target this weekend. I use it for something to aim at from distance or up close. I mounted a cowbell on the inside so it makes a rewarding sound when I hit it. :)
Materials:
-Stand from parking lot sign found in town dumpster
-2 10" bolts
-8" diameter air vent metal tubing
-spray paint
All in all I only spend about $10.

Attachments

• downsized_0706101643.jpg
    downsized_0706101643.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 822
Here is the finished product out in the yard............the bike chains don't seem to hurt good plastic.....no damage to my ION's or Champ or X plastic after putting for about 1 1/2 hours.

Wanted to add an update to this basket...............when I made it I was worried about the bike chains rusting and "siezing". Well we have had ALOT of rain around here this year and the chains are rusting but they are still moving freely. Just wanted to add that incase anyone was thinking about doing the same (and wondering the same).

I guess I thought the pic would come with the quote.........it didn't so I will add it..........

Attachments

• P1010743.JPG
    P1010743.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 114
here is my basket i found all the stuff lying around my yard just sorta came together for me i went out and bought a tube of j b weld though

Attachments

• 100711_130142.jpg
    100711_130142.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 198
*Here is an updated picture of mine. Added a new top/chain holder made of wood, S hooks for the out chains, added inner chains, painted target area read. Still need to find a better (larger) basket and some thicker chains, but it works great for backyard practice.

photo0170ms.jpg

Bert Chatcher

IMAG0029.jpg

I thought I would share my homemade basket. It works good enough for tightening up my short game. I made it out of a blue plastic drum that I paid 7 bucks for. The chain is from the local hardware store, yellow painted, and it makes it easy to see. I found the pipe at my dads house, its pretty rusty. The grand total was 30 some bucks all together. Im ready for a proper basket now, although I will always have this for a backup. Its was super fun making this, which is the 2.o version, the first is a monster, because I used a chainsaw to cut the barrel! Good times.

Biz
Team Bert

thats pretty cool, but why does it sag so much?

I know, it looks kinda droopy, and the reason is because the chains are pulling the plastic down. My next design will have more supports on the inside. Plus the sun did some warming on the plastic and it started to droop.
Version 3.o will have it going on, if I don't get a basket before that!
Biz
Team Bert

Latest posts