• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Thanks for the ideas guys. My neighbor and i made a "cubby trap" today. Took about 45 mins to find all the materials and make it. It works great and we had a blast. We didnt have to actually spend any money just used items laying around the house. We think we actually have enough supplies for 5 so ill post some pictures of how they all turn out soon.

We are also gonna make a pdga approved basket while were at it.

Thanks for the ideas guys. My neighbor and i made a "cubby trap" today. Took about 45 mins to find all the materials and make it. It works great and we had a blast. We didnt have to actually spend any money just used items laying around the house. We think we actually have enough supplies for 5 so ill post some pictures of how they all turn out soon.

We are also gonna make a pdga approved basket while were at it.

Your first post and you didn't include a pic? Shame, shame... :p

Just kidding... looking forward to seeing what you can do in 45 minutes.

Welcome!

Your first post and you didn't include a pic? Shame, shame... :p

Just kidding... looking forward to seeing what you can do in 45 minutes.

Welcome!

Haha ok here is the photo. So far we've decided on moving the top strings out to the edge (help reduce the weight) and were going to add pvc to make the basket a little more stable.

I kinda rushed into it without looking at the video:doh: it works great but it could be a little bit better.

We are also considering spray painting the rest of the contraption (black or metalic) Just for looks ya know.

Attachments

• 311032_2121461400008_1350028097_31949208_35420153_n.jpg
    311032_2121461400008_1350028097_31949208_35420153_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 337
Haha ok here is the photo. So far we've decided on moving the top strings out to the edge (help reduce the weight) and were going to add pvc to make the basket a little more stable.

I kinda rushed into it without looking at the video:doh: it works great but it could be a little bit better.

We are also considering spray painting the rest of the contraption (black or metalic) Just for looks ya know.

Cool. I forgot all about the Cubby basket and didn't even get what you were saying in your original post. :doh:

Hey donnyv, where did you get the "hanging basket" top and bottoms from? Thx.................jerry

Hey Jerry,

The baskets came from a garage sale. I bought all 8 tops and 8 bottoms that were there.

Hey guys, hopefully this is the right place for this. If not feel free to redirect me.

I have 15 hilly and partly wooded acres on my parents property that I'd like to put tone poles on, and I have an abundance of the following materials that I was thinking I could pretty easily turn into no cost tone poles.

Studded-T-Post.jpg

264126-w600.jpg

I was thinking of cutting the sheet metal into strips 20" tall as per dimension I saw posted elsewhere, and then they easily bend so the ends meet as long as you keep the corrugated part vertical. That way the round parts of the sheet metal come together and should be easy to attach with some spare screws, bolts, etc. So basically that will create sheet metal cylinders to be hung from the fence posts.

My next mission will be to find the best way to attach/hang them, and the best way to cover sharp edges other than just hanging them so the place that I attach the two ends would be facing away from the tee. I was thinking that covering the screws and sharp ends with some caulking and or duck tape might work. Also I have some old bike tires and tubing around that I could somehow cover sharp edges with.

As for hanging, maybe just drilling a hole through the post and two through the sheet metal cylinders and using a paint can handle to attach everything and let the cylinders swing freely.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, I have 0 knowledge about welding, but one of the guys in the local club does a little welding so I was wondering if anyone would recommend welding work over drilling holes and using bolts.

KGroff,

Trial and error are what makes the homemade targets unique (and expensive :p)

You have the materials, get creative and try out a few different types to see which is best. What looks best, sounds best, costs less, etc.

Your on the right track for ideas. My main objective was to get the most for the least amount of money. My (incomplete, but have all the parts, blah, blah, blah...) tone poles look good and sound alright, but I haven't finished the prototype to my liking to copy the rest (ten total). I want that certain sound from the tone I have't found in testing it yet.

At least you have the materials. Sheet metal is sharp, be careful. It sounds like it should work though. Good luck.

May as well put mine in here as I just finished it today. I based it on a Discatcher, but without that irritating sheet metal band, and an old style Mach III with some of my twists put in. I made it to come apart in 3 pieces. I also made it to where you didn't need bolts or hardware to hold it together....gravity does just fine. It doesn't weigh much...no idea exactly how much. It is heavy enough you can wail on it with really hard throws and it won't fall over. :thmbup: I cold galv'd this one with some really good industrial stuff. I use this stuff on handrails and it looks good for years.

This is my second model. The first was OK, but I made some errors in the basket and materials that I wanted to correct. I have a lot of guys that want me to build them some, so who knows....I may just start building them to sell. Will have to see about that one.

Attachments

• IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 214

http://youtu.be/Splgdp_OUKo

May as well put mine in here as I just finished it today. I based it on a Discatcher, but without that irritating sheet metal band, and an old style Mach III with some of my twists put in. I made it to come apart in 3 pieces. I also made it to where you didn't need bolts or hardware to hold it together....gravity does just fine. It doesn't weigh much...no idea exactly how much. It is heavy enough you can wail on it with really hard throws and it won't fall over. :thmbup: I cold galv'd this one with some really good industrial stuff. I use this stuff on handrails and it looks good for years.

This is my second model. The first was OK, but I made some errors in the basket and materials that I wanted to correct. I have a lot of guys that want me to build them some, so who knows....I may just start building them to sell. Will have to see about that one.

This is money. What did it cost and how much time did it take?

This is money. What did it cost and how much time did it take?

Thanks.:) I should have said they were modeled after the Discatcher and old Mach II. 18 chains..12 out, 6 in.

It didn't cost as much as you would think. I fabricate things for a living, among other things, and I was mildly surprised at how much it cost. Total steel cost was around 35 clams if you just look at the cost per hole. That figure is not including scrap or overage you have to buy due to stock lengths...just what was used. I think I paid about 160 total for the materials to build 4. I had all the 3/8 solid rolled by my steel supplier and that kept my labor down immensely. 12" rings cost a buck and the 26" rings were about 2.15 or so. No way could I crank them out like that. The chain is a sore point..got it at Homey Despot for about a clam a foot. 40' roll cost right at 40 clams.:( If it was gotten in bulk, say 225' at a time or more, the cost would drop .25 per foot or more. I have about 37' of chain per hole. The paint was another sore point. It is ZRC Lite, a milspec, industrial cold galv that is almost as good as hot dip. I just got 2 -12 oz cans and it took most of it. Cost about 26 clams for that.:doh: Again, bulk could keep that down. So, close to 100 clams per hole, materials only. If you were to do just one for yourself, I'd guess it would run about 20-30 clams higher.

Labor was about 9 hours or more....but then I went slower than I would cranking them out. I was doing lots of head scratching and this time I wrote everything down so I could duplicate it again. I think I can shave that down to 6 hours or so. Its just simple welding, nothing complicated. I just used a 210a MIG with small wire, nothing fancy at all.

Making these for money would not be a profitable deal. I doubt I could sell many at 300 clams...210-220 maybe. I'd be on the losing end for sure. If I used them as a filler, something to do when I was slow or even stopped, it wouldn't matter. Its tough to compete with mass produced items like these. I'm not trying to compete....just build a quality product that one can wail on and still have it last.:) Right now, I have at least 5 more to build like like that one. Who knows...I may have even more after they get out of the shop.

Last edited:
Here's my MINI disc catcher made from a pedestal fan with a burned up motor. The basket is the rear fan cage bolted to a 3/4" NPT floor flange and just slid down over the pole. The top is a 12" lower grill from a mini charcoal grill welded to a 1" set-screw collar. I cut the upper inside ring and lower chain ring from a "beer can chicken" setup I found in the grill section at the hardware store. There are 18 chains zip tied on. It works pretty well for $50. =)

2011-11-06125029.jpg

2011-11-06125109.jpg

2011-11-06125153.jpg

I'd been on the fence about buying one lately and finally decided to at least try building before buying. Having an abundance of junk between me and dad had some influence in the decision as well. It has 18 2/0 chains and it breaks down easy into 4 pieces.

Grand total was right around $50 because all I had to buy was the chain, paint, and S hooks

2011-12-29_16-04-19_680.jpg

2011-12-29_16-04-44_632.jpg

Last edited:
I'd been on the fence about buying one lately and finally decided to at least try building before buying. Having an abundance of junk between me and dad had some influence in the decision as well. It has 18 2/0 chains and it breaks down easy into 4 pieces.

Grand total was right around $50 because all I had to buy was the chain, paint, and S hooks

Damned fine job. :thmbup:

Have been meaning to post this for awhile.

Sit & Spin is the top...after taking it apart the 6 screws holding it together were perfect for the i-hooks, then drilled 6 more holes for the other 6 chains.

Basket is a 55 gallon drum cut, the top on the bottom.

Christmas tree stand, and conduit pipe for the pole.