• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Isn't there a name for this specific type of basket using bamboo pieces? I thought I heard it called something somewhere, but my memory sucks.

Tone Poles.

This guy catches as well as a lot of lower end in production baskets. I like that it sits on a t-post, makes it very easy to mount.
8989738743_1b15b61cc8_o.jpg

If all goes well i plan on making one like this this weekend. I am going to use the top of the barrel on the top. the extra plastic rim on the top will help support the chains a little more and hope it will help with the sag on top. Going to drill a couple drain holes in the bottom to let the water out

The beer is responsible for this one.

haha a few years back, in college, i did this to my front door with electrical tape- after ruining the door i then used my mattress by painting a basket on it and putting at it in front of the door, naturally we played drinking games all night throwin at the mattress we named ''dirty whore basket" haha drunk idiots, those days were the sh*t!!:thmbup::thmbup:

I would normally be cheap and build my own, but with chain for 20-26 links, that adds up. So I'm taking a $50 instep from Craigslist and will chain-mod it. I love the designs though!

I really love all the ingenuity shown in this thread!

New player here (~9 weeks now) and decided to build my own basket for practicing. I live on 3 acres so it's nice to be able to move it around the property behind obstacles like trees and my burn pile to work on challenging approaches. My putting game has improved immensely since I got this built and have started following Mark Ellis' Putting Confidence Program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ).

I thought this would be about a $150 project but ended up pushing $200 when all was said and done, but I'm relatively happy with the results. 12 outer chains, 8 inner and 6 middle for a total of 26.

The black catcher is a water garden "pot" I got from Lowes and is very flimsy plastic which is why I added the white plastic shower drain underneath to give it some support. I will probably replace this basket portion at some point but it works for now.

There are two outdoor umbrella lights for night practice, one inside the top portion and another below the catcher basket. If the basket wasn't solid (except for the 1" drain-holes I drilled in the bottom in case of rain) then I probably could have gotten away with just one of these lights.

Photos in the construction collage image from top-left going clockwise are as follows:

1. Inner chain connection, S-hook clamped around bicycle spoke intersections.

2. Outer chain connection, eyebolt through the bicycle rim.

3. Middle chain connection, wire clamps around bicycle spokes. I had planned on using caps for each of the two threaded portions of the u-bolts, but the caps were larger than the regular nuts so if I tried to use two then they would lock and you couldn't tighten them.

4. Chain rings around pole. Found a chromed hot-plate holder in the kitchen section of Walmart for <$5 and separated the three rings. I liked the idea of something solid here instead of wire and some of the other solutions I'd seen and this worked perfectly.

Attachments

• BasketDay_IPT3397-Web800.jpg
    BasketDay_IPT3397-Web800.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 259
  • BasketNight_IPT3392-Web800.jpg
    BasketNight_IPT3392-Web800.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 235
  • BasketConstruction.jpg
    BasketConstruction.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 220
I really love all the ingenuity shown in this thread!

New player here (~9 weeks now) and decided to build my own basket for practicing. I live on 3 acres so it's nice to be able to move it around the property behind obstacles like trees and my burn pile to work on challenging approaches. My putting game has improved immensely since I got this built and have started following Mark Ellis' Putting Confidence Program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ).

I thought this would be about a $150 project but ended up pushing $200 when all was said and done, but I'm relatively happy with the results. 12 outer chains, 8 inner and 6 middle for a total of 26.

The black catcher is a water garden "pot" I got from Lowes and is very flimsy plastic which is why I added the white plastic shower drain underneath to give it some support. I will probably replace this basket portion at some point but it works for now.

There are two outdoor umbrella lights for night practice, one inside the top portion and another below the catcher basket. If the basket wasn't solid (except for the 1" drain-holes I drilled in the bottom in case of rain) then I probably could have gotten away with just one of these lights.

Photos in the construction collage image from top-left going clockwise are as follows:

1. Inner chain connection, S-hook clamped around bicycle spoke intersections.

2. Outer chain connection, eyebolt through the bicycle rim.

3. Middle chain connection, wire clamps around bicycle spokes. I had planned on using caps for each of the two threaded portions of the u-bolts, but the caps were larger than the regular nuts so if I tried to use two then they would lock and you couldn't tighten them.

4. Chain rings around pole. Found a chromed hot-plate holder in the kitchen section of Walmart for <$5 and separated the three rings. I liked the idea of something solid here instead of wire and some of the other solutions I'd seen and this worked perfectly.

I love it. $200 and a fun project with an awesome final product is way better than $200 on an practice basket that has no character. Good job!

here is a pic of my 3rd home made basket
(chains come as soon as the paint dries)

Attachments

• painted basket.jpg
    painted basket.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 190
Homemade Disc golf basket

my-basket.jpg

I finished my first basket today:
Pole/stand: found in a dumpster
$5 bicycle wheels 2 for
$6.36 L shelf brackets: 4 for $1.59 ea
$28 White Plastic Chain 50 Feet:
$12 S hooks 50 (used half)
$6 2 hoolahoops
____ plywood,ductape, wire I had lying around
$57

Last edited:
Here is mine. Made from an old cat climber that I was going to throw away and some pvc. I heat bend all of the pvc to make the top basket ring and the 90 degree bends for the rest of the basket. I only had to by the "T"s. Whole thing cost me about $15. I had most of the stuff. I went with the "quiet chains" I saw on this thread since I mostly practice at night and the neighbors are close. All of the basket is to standard basket size except the top. The cat climber provided me with 2 18" plywood circles and various size 2X4s.

Attachments

• IMG_5148.jpg
    IMG_5148.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 202
Here is mine. Made from an old cat climber that I was going to throw away and some pvc. I heat bend all of the pvc to make the top basket ring and the 90 degree bends for the rest of the basket. I only had to by the "T"s. Whole thing cost me about $15. I had most of the stuff. I went with the "quiet chains" I saw on this thread since I mostly practice at night and the neighbors are close. All of the basket is to standard basket size except the top. The cat climber provided me with 2 18" plywood circles and various size 2X4s.

I bent some PVC for a backpack frame and it was soooo easy. Im quite impressed with the bending you've done. I think it's an untapped idea. What kind of heat source did you use? Also, massive props for the repurposing.

Every time that I look at this thread, I instantly think of the baskets at the Goatpath near Bowling Green, Ky.

There's nothing like those quiet chains for night time practice, eh? A job well done on your basket. :clap: I'm glad to see the results of the heat bent PVC. That's a technique that I've planned using for the second version of my Pin Wheel.

Latest posts