• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Horizons Park - Winston-Salem, NC

AdamCaudle

Double Eagle Member
The local club just got news about Horizons park, here's a short post from Forsyth County Parks and Rec: "We are currently in the process of securing a Master Plan for Horizons Park. In that plan, we hope to have a new course developed by a professional engineer. Until then, we are leaving the course as it is."

This could be really exciting, since they have some awesome hilly terrain and woods to work with.

Why not leave a fun beginner course in with the old baskets and add a more challenging layout in the more interesting terrain with the new ones?

No more birdie fest? :(

I heard yall might be selling the old baskets?

The county said the old baskets would like be sold at auction sometime. Not sure who would buy those things for anything besides scrap metal. Wish they would donate them to us.

Forsyth County won't let anybody do any work at the course, which really sucks. I am jealous of the UFO and Highland Hills guys that can do pretty much whatever they want.

Why not leave a fun beginner course in with the old baskets and add a more challenging layout in the more interesting terrain with the new ones?

That would be ideal. The course as it is now would only give a good course like maybe 3 holes at best in terms of the land available.

In that plan, we hope to have a new course developed by a professional engineer. .

I hope that the professional engineer is a disc golfer or works very closely with disc golfers with experience in course design.

I totally share those sentiments. NC needs more open,grassy courses that are family friendly and fun to play. Most other parts of the country need less of those.

Is Forsyth Co. Parks & Rec aware that their course is the oldest in NC? Be kind of a shame to lose the original layout permanently.

Not to mention I aced number one and wouldn't want it to go away...

/walks away proud of making his upshot even though the same day he saw Wiggins do it twice (I think)...

Different layout this year for horizons park classic? Will it be done by June?

I have played that course at least three times. I thought it was a quick, fun course similar to one here in Lynchburg. A group of us played it in 2006 when we came down for the Va Tech @ Wake Forest, and then again this past football season. Hope the new course is planned out well.

I believe Tom Monroe did the original design and it's one of the oldest courses in the U.S.

Is Forsyth Co. Parks & Rec aware that their course is the oldest in NC? Be kind of a shame to lose the original layout permanently.

The course hasn't been the original layout for several years. It's been a couple years since I've played there and a couple holes were different then from the 80's design. Don't know the hole numbers (maybe like 12?), but you used to play right up next to the shed, then around it and straight out instead of taking the right turn out and back.

Lotta good times there.

I just there played today, and it looks like the course layout is staying. They had placed new baskets up through about 7, and most of the remaining holes had holes dug for the concrete for the new baskets.... So unless they are adding more additional holes in the big open field, looks like all the existing baskets are getting a facelift. I am not a local, so this is observation only. This is the second time I played the course, and the new baskets felt "right". When I got to the old basket section, I remembered I didn't like them because they were like 12 inches lower than the height they tend to be.....

Can't wait to get up there and throw on the new baskets. I'm glad they're keeping the original course the way it was designed. Great for the family and beginners. I'm sure they'll seek guidance from a professional course designer.. (well, at least I hope so)

Latest posts