• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Houston area March 18th

Marcovis

I will be in the Houston area (Fulshear) on Saturday, March 18th. I plan on throwing discs all day and want to check out a few courses since I didn't see any sanctioned events listed for that day on PDGA.com. I'm willing to drive an hour or two from Fulshear, what are the must play courses I should look into to? Thanks!

Oak Meadows is the closest good course to where you'll be, but unfortunately you'll need to have a guide since it's a private community course.

The other options are Spring Valley, which has some cool shots and fun holes, but a number of fairly bland open holes as well.

The clear winner is Shawshank, but that's a 1.5 hour drive. It's definitely the best course that I've played in the Houston area though.

I've heard good things about the north christian church course just south of Spring Valley, but I've never actually played it.

Texas Army Trail was fairly "meh" to me. A few good holes though, but it's basically a mosquito breeding ground.

I've played a number of the Houston area courses and try to play new ones each time I go, but I'm running out of the more quality courses that I've yet to play and the reality is that Houston doesn't have the best courses. Oak Meadows is definitely quite decent though.

contact JRWIII to play Oak Meadows
otherwise:
Winwood and Northside
Milby
River Grove (but because it's private for Kingswood residents, you have to park outside the park- see their FB page...)
Cornerstone isn't particularly challenging but quite picturesque, as is nearby Dunbar

Let me know if you want to play Oak Meadow. Not sure I will be able to play then, but can help you find a guide.
I would scratch Winwood off the list since they no longer keep it up.
Spring Valley has a great pro shop if that interests you.
Shawshank is probably the most unique. Some holes have a putt putt / gimicky feel, which some people like and some don't.
Not a whole lot of options on the Fulshear side of town. Probably best to pick one side of town and hit up those. I am not as familiar with the courses outside of the NW side of town.

Let me know if you want to play Oak Meadow. Not sure I will be able to play then, but can help you find a guide.
Shawshank is probably the most unique. Some holes have a putt putt / gimicky feel, which some people like and some don't.
Not a whole lot of options on the Fulshear side of town. Probably best to pick one side of town and hit up those. I am not as familiar with the courses outside of the NW side of town.

wow, that's a shame. I have fond memories of throwing with Midnightbiker there. (mostly of my ace on #5)

Appreciate it, Fulshear is where we are staying but I'm willing to drive within 2 hours to throw a course if its worth it. I'll look into Oak Meadow and message you closer to when I'll be there if I need a guide, thanks!

After looking at a few things, I am thinking I'll drive the 2 hours from Fulshear to Shawshank in the morning and then hit up Spring Valley or Oak Meadows on the way back.

After looking at a few things, I am thinking I'll drive the 2 hours from Fulshear to Shawshank in the morning and then hit up Spring Valley or Oak Meadows on the way back.

Sounds like a good plan. Before driving 2 hours, send a message to Steve at Shawshank to let him know that you are coming and to make sure the course is open. Private courses on his property. Very friendly guy and it has been open every time I went. Was a $5 green fee last time I went.

So the final plan is to play Shawshank early Saturday morning, then head to Spring Valley, then head to McDade if I still have time. Going to be tired, but should be fun!

Latest posts