• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Deep is Too Deep: A Putter Question

LastPageDG

Trying to find a good driving putter has become more frustrating than I thought it should have. This is for turnover and straight drives, I have a Zone and Pig for hyzer shots or forehands. I've been using a KC PRO Aviar for all my non hyzer drives because I like the glide it holds what line I throw it on. However, I do catch my fingers on the rim from time to time. Opinions? Thoughts? Tips? Recommendations of other putters? Again, not for putting, for tee shots.

I'd say go to your local PIAS and feel a bunch up. I've handled Aviars, Judges, Ions, a Wizard, and an Omega SS. The Aviars and Wizard felt too deep for me to comfortably hold but the Ions didn't for some reason despite being just as deep. Eventually I settled on Judges (with a Zone for extra beef) which I'm happy with, but I'm also very comfortable throwing putters FH and on BH anhyzer lines so I never really felt the need for a turnover putter.

You never know which new disc is going to feel good in your hands and which isn't. I've found that preferences for depth and beadedness are at best generalizations since I thought I preferred beads but love my Zone and generally prefer shallow putters but had no comfort problems with Ions.

Depending on the tee shot, I prefer to use a Proton Ion or a Neutron Proxy. I've been an Ion fan for quite a while but find myself using the Proxy more and more these days...

I like Banger GT's because they have the depth, but the thumb groove makes it feel more like a shallow depth.

Your hanger issues are more likely grip or form related though.

Shaman by gateway. You'd be hard pressed to find a shallower putter for straight to turnover shots. I'll see if I still have one laying around I'll do a profile pic with an aviar.

As far as too deep, the polecat is too deep IMO. Although I really enjoy it and it has a unique flight. If I had my choice I'd like that same flight in a shallower disc.

No such thing as too deep or shallow.

I can drive polecats no different than a driver really. Grip and rip

Well, I gotta disagree with the no difference thing. I have small hands so I have a little of a disadvantage with deep putters. I'm also not a power gripper, I fan grip everything. The times I get caught on the rim is usually when I try I rip one. Id rather baby a mid then try and crush a putter drive.

No putter has that big of a rim for it to matter IMO. Comfort is one thing but children throw frisbees around which are very deep compared to DG discs.

Hard classic blend Judge for driving and soft to putt. I get a consistent release on harder throws, where my aviar would come out early more often. I might change my mind one day, but not today.;) Good luck in your search.

No putter has that big of a rim for it to matter IMO. Comfort is one thing but children throw frisbees around which are very deep compared to DG discs.

Throwing an ultimate or regular frisbee is still different than trying to shape a shot or have it hold a line for an extended period of time. I'm not saying you're wrong because your argument makes sense, I just notice a difference.

;) power grip polecat max d drives mixed in with a few various shorter shots and unique throws. Just comes down to practice with different molds. Ill throw/putt anything without a "grip" issue. I dont have huge hands or anything special going on nor am i some great player but i loveeee to throw putters.

Latest posts