• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you choose a putter?

I went Aviar, Buzz, Rhyno, Wizard to Magic.

The person who introduced my to DG suggested I buy an Aviar. I never cared much for it as a putter, and would use my Buzz some of the time instead. I didn't like how deep the rim was. I bought a Rhyno because it felt really good in my hand. It replaced the Aviar, and I learned to drive it pretty well. I tried out an SS Wizard because a lot of people online seemed to like them. After trying it out head to head against the Rhyno for some putter rounds I became convinced to switch. Then one year later I tried the Magic and realized I liked it much better for putts than the Wizard, which is now just a driving putter for me.

I just went to the store and picked up the two discs they had on the shelf that said putter on it: a DX Aviar and a DX Birdie. I use the Aviar for long distance putting and the Birdie for 30' in.

Before I even started playing I bought a Discraft starter set on Amazon.com with the intentions of "getting out to play...sometime"

That weekend I talked to my friend that had showed me golf discs about 6 years earlier, but hadn't played in many years, and not since. He was like "no way! A guy at work just started playing and we're all playing on Wednesday! You should come!" Well I had chosen free shipping since I wasn't in any rush...

Wednesday comes, no discs. I decide to stop at a small Dick's on the way...they have a really small selection of Innova discs...but they have a starter set. I pick up one with a couple pink discs, I figure maybe my girlfriend will like pink discs or something.

So I play my first round and I didn't really like the really waxy DC Aviar P & A. Next day (of course) I get my Discraft set in the mail.

I really liked the feel of the Soft APX, which led me to magnets with almost exactly the same feel. I used magnets for quite some time.

Then I started complimenting my magnets with a Challenger. As the winter came I didn't want to carry a lot of discs and I needed plastics that handled the cold well. Soft Magnets turned into what felt like dried gum when frozen. FLX Challenger became my winter putter.

In the spring I wanted more than the FLC Challenger could provide and started switching things up. I eventually replace my magnets with the Ion because it just feels right, and for short lines it flies like a Pro D BuZzz (my first favorite disc)

I eventually began to want more out of the plastic for my challengers so tried many of the overstable putters: VP, Pig, Zone, different Challengers etc. I settled on Wizards. Between the Gummy HPP and Eraser SSS wizards I have the best plastics I could want, and I keep the Ion for approaches and dead wind, and long putts when I need to go for it.

So throughout my DG history I've based my choices on the feel in my hand, the feel of the material, the stiffness, the tackyness, and the glide and flight patterns when putted and when thrown on approach lines.

\/\/

I bounced around from putter to putter (Aviar P&A, Classic Aviar, Soft Magnet, Soft Banger GT, CryZtal Challenger, and back to the Banger as well as trying several of my friends') for a long time and thought the Soft Banger was destined to be my putter. I even have about a dozen in my practice pile.

Then I got a couple floppy organic Magics in a player's pack and loved the feel of them. Knowing that their runs are never the same I emailed Dave to see if he had any more. I bought a five pack, and instead of getting five Magics I decided I'd try a couple Wizards as well.

The Magics never gave me a consistent release (and weren't the same as from my player's pack), but the Wizards were butter. They instantly gave me another ten feet of confidence. I've fallen in love and wish I'd gotten five. Now I'm racing to find as many chalky SSS Organic Wizards as possible from that run before they're gone for good. :thmbup:

After a few tree hits (and one taco'd soldier), I've started trying other styles for tree-heavy/longer putts. The red Organics are nice and firm without being too hard.

I came from a background in ultimate and a friend of mine recommended that the Aero is the most similar to an ultrastar so I bought a used 180g Star Aero for $5 as the first disc I owned. I stuck with the Aero for about 2 years and recently have tried some other putters, (omega, ion, birdie, dart) but about 3 weeks ago I fell in love with a 170g DX Aviar.

i started with a rhyno as my first putter after playing with nothing but drivers (even putting). got a rhyno and it changed my game. tried other putters over the years but never found anything that felt right.

Feel an throwing several Different types. My Mach
Lite has helped me find what works the best. Mostly voodoo. Pizza man from 40'. nailed a couple decent length one with some good players who were like how the heck did that happen!!

I started putting with an Aviar... when the store I bought discs at starting carrying the Omega SS, I liked the feel of it so much I bought it immediately and I still use it. I've tried quite a few others... (I like the Magic), but my main putter is the Omega SS and will probably stay that way unless they stop making them.

Trial and error......started out with Aviars, they never felt right. Then I switched to Banger GTs, seemed ok but just had to try the new IONs when they came out. Thought I fell in love with them.......saw improvement in my short game. Then all of a sudden things went down hill, not sure why, as far as I can tell I did not change my putting style at all. Picked up a Challenger and have not looked back, works great for me and have made some crazy long putts (long for me at least).

I have been switching back and forth between a Magnet, a Wizard and a Champion Aero, but my Gateway Chief with Jerry on the Cover is my go to putter

Pure dumb luck. I started with the Birdie. Then tried the Aviar. Then a Wizard. Back to the Aviar. Tried an Aero (now my driving putter). Back to the Aviar. Lastly a Lightning #2 was included when purchased a basket. It sat in my spare box for about a year. I was going to put it up for trade but thought I should try it first. I now have a stable of 175 - 178g #2s. (Well five or so.)

I played the typical try everything I can afford technique to start with. The challenge for me was maintaining a minimalist putter approach. I used to have a hard time getting a consistent release on my putts and the last things I wanted to complicate the matter were different molds for driving, inside circle, straddle, etc... For me, the release and grip were the most difficult parts of putting. Thus, I simply held every putter in the store (Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Millenium, Lat64, Lightning) until one felt right. That one happened to be the Banger GT.

Now I carry the Banger in every plastic. Soft for anything inside of 50 feet. ESP for anything inside of 200 where I need a little extra durability (plus I feel the ESP flies the best, but it will split chains too often for my main putt), and a few Pro D for driving. Regardless of the throw, I am confident in the Banger. I still haven't mastered the long putts, but I have shaved so many strokes off my game by finally becoming a consistent putter.

I actually went to my local pro shop with the intent of picking up an Aviar. While I was waiting to check out I ended up throwing a few wizards he had set up for practice. Long story short...now I'm a Wizard guy.

Whatever you can sink consistently = your putter.

It was pretty simple. I had a 150g putter when I started playing. After a year or two I found a putter on my local course. Tried to call the guy multiple times; he never returned a call. Now it's my main putter. I know it's a Rhyno, I know it's an early run, and I'm pretty sure it's DX. Problem is, I don't know how to ever replicate it because I don't know the weight. haha

I've been through multiple putters. Started with a Sonic (bad idea) then just putted with a driver, bought a Rhyno, used my Roc to putt, picked up an aviar, then grabbed the Vibram putters (love them) and then bought a XLink Soft VP (butter). I'm begging to push putt though, so I'll probably switch to just the XLinks (which I love for approach shots and driving as well).

I think trying different putting styles is better than different putters. Figuring out the difference between Push putt, spin putt, and hyzer putt was the best thing for me. I'm starting to love push putting but we'll see if it sticks. (HA!, I'm funny)

BLASPHEMY ALERT !!!!

It really doesn't matter that much.

Or to me, anyway. I practice-putt with a stack of various putters, and inside the circle there's no noticeable difference. Except on windy days. 40' out, it does make a difference, but those are low-percentage putts anyway. I've found myself without my putters and borrowed something else, without missing a beat.

So I putt mostly with a birdie because, if I see someone else with one, I'll know they stole it from me.

All putters seem to have one characteristic in common. The first day you play with a new (to you) putter, it can't miss. Once it's sufficiently hustled you, it goes back to its normal behaviour, and you start wondering what else there is out there that's better.

I kept trying stuff and used what felt best in my hand. It is true it really doesn't matter from 20' or 30' in, but it raises confidence if it feels good. I like wizards.

Latest posts