• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I drive straight?

Any cyclone is a friend of mine. Truly amazing disc for getting started...and will remain in your bag for the duration.

I second that. I just got a brand new old mold cyclone to replace the one I just retired. I had my first cyclone for 13 years plus, and got my only ace with it. Its a great disc.

Biz
Team Bert

hello, fellow plamann patron. the groove is a very overstable driver for a beginner. i would disc down to a beast or sidewinder in order to get the feel of releasing the disc flat and getting more snap. the groove is a fairly advanced disc to throw. think of releasing it at an anhyzer angle (so it will turn to your right throwing RHBH). it should fly to the right briefly, then fade left. increase your snap to keep it going straight longer.

I have less than one year of experience. I own three drivers; Surge, Valkyrie, and a Stalker. I have tried many, but these remain...for now.

Jbrew, generally speaking the slower the disc, the easier it will be to control. The best thing to do when learning disc control and trying to throw straight, is start out throwing a putter, then throw some midrange discs, then the slower drivers known as fairway drivers.

Very good advice. I'll add that while practicing, find a football or soccer field and try keeping the disc on one of the side lines for the entire flight. When you can do this, 10' wide tunnels will be piece of cake.

I'm fairly new to disc golf, but I love it and have been pretty happy with my skill progression. I wanted to increase the distance on my drives, so I just got a new Innova Champion Groove Distance Driver. The thing hooks very hard left everytime I throw it though, even when I throw it straight. Is it just the disc, or is it my form? I know it's a good disc, but I can't seem to control it. I played on the extra 9 at Plamann Park in Appleton, WI and had to give up because the fairways were so narrow. How can I shoot straight down them? Any good technique videos or pointers that will help?

for starters...the groove is lame. You need a big arm to see any turn out of that. and if I were you, being that you just started, i wouldn't jump up to those high speed driver. You need to get a TL or a Teebird. Leopard even.

It seems to me that the point was generally missed here. A few people touched on it, but for the most part this devolved into an equipment discussion instead of a technique discussion. The question was "how do I drive straight?," not "what disc should I buy to compensate for the fact that I can't throw straight?"

That being said, I'm going to address the real question in detail (but in a way that should be easy to understand even for a relative beginner):

I like the field ideas, but going out to a field and just repeatedly throwing without knowing how to throw will just ingrain some bad habits. My suggestion is to go buy 5 of the same disc (a mid-range like the Mako or Buzzz would be perfect). These discs should go very straight when thrown properly, so they are great technique analyzers. I guess you could get a Roc as well, but in general that disc has a little too much fade fresh out of the box for new players. Set up on that same football field as before attempting to throw on a "frozen rope" straight down the side-line with your 5 discs. Now comes the tough part: be honest with yourself. How successful were you at throwing straight down the line? If the answer is not very, then some technique flaws can be addressed. If you find your discs immediately going right of target and then fading back at the end of the flight, you're doing something wrong.

The most likely culprit is that you're trying to throw the disc (strong-arm it) rather than just rotating through cleanly and letting the disc rip out of your hand. You can get a feel for this by standing with your shoulder pointed straight down the line and the disc also down the line being held at a comfortable height somewhere around shoulder-high. now just rotate using your spine as the axis (you can move your right leg to accommodate more rotation if you would like, but it is not necessary). once you've turned back as far as you can, the disc should be held out on the opposite side of your body, but still in line with the side-line. From here the motion is simple: just quickly rotate your body back to the start. Don't concentrate on release point, instead focus on gripping the disc tighter and tighter through the turn. If you do this properly, the disc should be ripped out of your hand and go dead nuts straight. If you're gripping too lightly in the later portions of the turn, it'll go way left. If you're trying to grip it very hard at the beginning and ease up when you feel like it's time to release it (most likely what you do now) you'll see it go off in very inconsistent directions. Keep doing this drill with your 5 discs until you can throw all 5 dead straight for at least 150 feet (since you're not generating a ton of momentum, they will likely fade after this even with perfect technique). The disc should be coming straight across your chest (flight plate level) and should not be going in a sweeping motion. This sounds weird and requires some explanation.

If you're rotating and doing nothing else, something weird happens: your elbow will start to bend and the disc will stay level coming across your chest. Eventually your elbow can't move any further without hurting your shoulder, so the forearm swings around. There will be a point when the forearm can't move any further either, and then it's the wrist that hinges and the disc rips out of your grip no matter how tightly you try to hold on. This is why it's so key to focus on gripping tighter and tighter throughout the rotation; it'll force these things to happen as you rotate because the body's natural tendency when trying to grip something hard is to become somewhat rigid and lock things in place. This works to your advantage as it creates sort of chain reaction or "whip" as many call it that fires the disc out in a very accurate and fast way.

When you can nail this consistently, you can do a full 3 step approach still focusing on gripping tighter and tighter through the rotation. It will feel weird. It will feel like you're going to throw the disc 50 feet right of target, but you won't. The disc will rip out cleanly when you execute properly. If you still are not getting discs to travel straight, but they are starting on the correct line, it means your release is not flat. This is a different issue entirely, but I feel I've bored you enough. Perhaps I can cover this in a later post.

Once you have the 3-step version of this down, you can step-up to fairway drivers and eventually to *gasp* the Groove. I know everyone seems to hate it, but I have been rather successful at making it look good.

but if he's trying to throw a str8 drive with a groove, then it does become an equipment question.

the groove won't do it. thrown with "beginner" power it flies like a boss.

he needs to disc down with a less stable driver. I'm taking a stab and going to say that i'm pretty sure he's throwing str8, he's just throwing the wrong disc for it.

I'd imagine JBrew would have to clear this up as to whether or not he throws his other discs straight, but he did specifically ask for pointers or videos on how to throw straight down the fairway. Sure, the Groove is a god awful disc for like 95% of people who disc and even at its best, it's a flex anhyzer or hyzer flip disc, but I was hoping to address more than just poor equipment selection.

Last edited:
also, the groove is one of the most hated discs, however, no one can tell you which disc 'will' work best for you. only the person throwing the disc knows for sure what works best and only time will tell for that.

for some people, a hated disc like a groove works for them but a popular disc will not. the only thing that matters in the end is that the disc works for you, whatever disc you choose

keep both your hands on the wheel and don't drink more than one beer....:\

but seriously...

you aren't powering up that disc enough... disclaimer note: i hate the groove

Check out all of the great advice on these boards and watch all the vids posted that relate to snap, x-step, grip...and that sort of thing..

personally, i wasn't patient enough to do what many will say to do around here and that is start with only throwing putters, then mids... and so on.

I went right to the practice field and threw everything from the Teebird to the Boss and that was just perfect for me. I like to learn by throwing myself in the middle of something and just doing it. When I actually play, I would bring some speedy discs but mostly putters, mids and fairways...esp b/c the courses I went to rarely required a high speed disc like the groove.

seriously though the groove is a POS...isn't it?

some have said they like it as a specialty disc but I don't think it is irreplaceable in anyone's bag so Innova should drop it I think and let it slip away...collectors can buy them up and say "see, there is one true POS... Innova hands down has the award for worst waste of good plastic"

If you go to a good pro shop, they wouldn't sell a Groove to a new player, anyways...

...support your local pro shop!

Here is what I did, because throwing straight was one of my objectives. Keep in mind, Disc Golf is still mostly unheard of in Myrtle Beach, so it was just me, myself, and this website. I know you said "What's the use of going to a field if I don't know the right technique?"

Well, here is what I did. I went out to a field, and just started tweaking myself. I would empty my bag, and focus on what worked. It's two fold

1. You will learn what your discs will do. There is a key to that, and that is use the discs that are designed to fly close to that line of stability. I love the Flick, but that disc is a Hard disc to throw straight. So I keep that for Doglegs, and other things. A leopard is a great disc to throw to achieve that straight path.
So Key 1: Learn how each disc you own flies.

2. Snap: The snap is what will add more spin. The more spin, the longer the disc will fly, as well as keeping it to a straighter line. *Keep in mind, different discs do different trajectories. So work with the discs that will work the straight line. (i.e. Teebird)

3. You want to aim low. When you are working on this, you will spend time learning what is to low, what is to high. My rule of thumb is to keep the disc out in front of me, but lower than the shoulder. You should be able to see the print on the top of your disc. When you throw, you will want to throw down at an angle "High to low". You'll know if you are aiming to low. (Worm burner anyone? ;) ) Just keep at it until you achieve that right spot.

So, Keep that in mind and go out to a field and just start the tweaking process. ...and yes, it is a process. You won't go from 150ft, to 350ft overnight. I suggest work on one thing at a time. Start with Grip Read this article, it helped me tremendously. Then work on approach, then work on your throw, etc...

Finally: Setup markers, and aim for them. I suggest 100ft 200ft & 300ft. How can you reach a goal, if you don't know what you are aiming for. so look at that 200ft marker, and aim for it. As if it were a basket. You need a target, and you need to aim for it. Did you ever notice you throw better on a course, than in a empty field. Why? Because you are aiming for the basket. So when you are in a field, you need to aim for something. That'll help you right off the top.

Once you've mastered these little things, then comeback and ask us questions. But you'll find that a lot of it is just figuring it out, and you do that by throwing trial and error. Once you hit that drive, and hit it perfectly, you'll know.

Oh last thing. Drive with your putters and mids for awhile. Trust me, it worketh! It may not sound as cool as driving with a Wraith or... well, in your case, the Groove. ;) But it will be rewarding to your game. I have two driving putters, and I use them quite frequently! I can throw them straight down the pipe. The majority of what I learned, I figured out on my own. If you can play with a better player, ask them for some tips.

So there you have it, now go out to your field and practice. FYI: Everyone has their own style, so when you ask any of us about a technique you could get 4 different answers. Use what works for you.

Wow, I got a little chatty, didn't I? :D

Latest posts