• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I throw an extremely overstable disc?

Well, look at Will S. He has what looks like the slowest throw in his group every single time but he still has pretty dang decent drives. Plus, the guy is tiny. Its literally all in the snap.

mmmm I'm tired. If you're going too fast to throw properly, slowing down will make it easier to throw properly and can give better distance.

Sarcasm is hard to do on here. Figured you would have picked up on it. I dont need to change the way I throw. My discs go boom

Nukes aren't really that stable. Their flight path is intended for distance, not stability. You're definitely lacking the proper snap for a Nuke if they meathook for you.

arm speed is a misnomer ... it's really arm acceleration ... the faster you can accelerate your arm from the "end" of the reach back through the hit, the more snap you'll generate ... it's the hardest concept to master IMO ... has nothing to do with how fast you run up ... search for the Dion Arlyn video from Discraft because he explains it the best you'll ever see ...

Sure but having momentum before late acceleration will add a good amount of power.

Exactly what I'm talking about. It's easier to bring that momentum into the hit if you're going slower. More speed=more momentum, but going fast a lot of people lose that momentum (break their kinetic chain).

Sarcasm is hard to do on here. Figured you would have picked up on it. I dont need to change the way I throw. My discs go boom

I picked up on it. Just wanted to respond to it also. I remember where you were in the "how far do you throw" poll.

arm speed is a misnomer ... it's really arm acceleration ... the faster you can accelerate your arm from the "end" of the reach back through the hit, the more snap you'll generate ... it's the hardest concept to master IMO ... has nothing to do with how fast you run up ... search for the Dion Arlyn video from Discraft because he explains it the best you'll ever see ...

But you can get a further throw with correct form and acceleration and add that with a run up.

I guess I'll watch more video. The crappy thing is I've been playing intermittently for 15 years and still am an amateur player. Family and kids really cut into disc golf time. It was only this year that I got serious about playing again. I just want to learn to throw somewhat far with a decent form. I know I can do it once I "see" what I should be doing. I equate this to playing the guitar. There are a lot of people who can play power chords and "by ear". Then when you really investigate and learn the fretboard it makes much more sense. This is what I need to do with my driving.

I wouldn't say put the disc away. I have few discs in my bag that I have no business using for distance drivers. However, because they are so beefy I use them when I need a huge left turn with skip. I have a Nuke that is all over this shorty hard-left dog leg. People suggest that I just use more hyzer on a slower disc but none of them get as much skip. Works like a charm.

Put the Nuke away. Throw something less stable like a Champ Tern or Sidewinder for distance. If you start flipping these discs too much from too much power then take the Nuke out again. Terns can go 450 according to the people who throw that far.

Put the Nuke away. Throw something less stable like a Champ Tern or Sidewinder for distance. If you start flipping these discs too much from too much power then take the Nuke out again. Terns can go 450 according to the people who throw that far.

my champion 164 gm tern is just as stable as any disc i have right now

throwing overstable discs takes speed and form. no power needed. i am not a strong person by any means and i can throw a nuke 380 feet with no issue. i love the nuke for the headwind shots due to the wind making it stay anhyzer longer. i just use it for those type of shots mostly or over stable hyzer bombs. you might want to look at a krait, or a wraith. less power discs but have neutral lines. might be better for you .

Shelve it, or just throw it with a lot of anhyzer until your technique improves.

When I started out I was throwing bosses and nukes long before I should have. But I could get decent distance out of them with a lot of anhyzer.

Watch some videos on youtube. Check your grip especially.

If the nuke is fading hard left on you. Try a Nuke SS. Also consider lower weights.

I don't throw seriously OS discs for distance. They are utility discs. Occasionally I will BH anhyzer my XCal and blow peoples minds on how low/tight/fast of an S-line it can run on a 250-300ft hole. That or crank it off a tree at mach II. I don't find it particularly easy to control aim at max power and any release.