• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you define a signature hole?

jobwilson

Eagle Member
I'd like to get some thoughts on how everyone defines a course's signature hole(s). Do you put more weight on aesthetics or difficulty?

I personally base it more off of aesthetics rather than difficulty. I will use my favorite local course, Mesker Park in Evansville, IN as an example.

Hole 9 is a 225' downhill RHBH hyzer. It's probably the easiest hole on the course, but it you have to throw across a stone bridge that was built by the CCC or WPA.

c4c92765.jpg

I think it is the whole picture. A signature hole in my mind must have beauty that is directly proportionate to the difficulty. By this I mean beauty that adds to the challenge of the hole. That way it kicks your butt but you have fun while it is happening!

Both, but one could outweigh the other. I played a course in Hot Springs where the signature hole was a legit par 5, and although it wasn't "pretty" it was very signature. I could also see how people would call a pretty looking hole signature, because it's what you really remember once you leave the course.

Or hole 2...or 7...or 9... or 11... or 13... or 15...or 21.... or 22... or 23.... or 25...

:eek:

For me its which ever hole i think of first when someone mentions a course for example sioux passage in st louis i immediately think of hole 13
In that case its just that 500+ foot down hill shot, but in other cases its that really difficult hole that kicks your butt everytime

A signature hole is when I get a tough bogie save and sign the basket.

Hence signature.

My signature.

Think about this:

This is my definition -- when I think about a particular course, what is/are the first hole or holes that specifically come to mind? That makes it "signature" if it's pretty much the same hole(s)for everyone.

Like someone said -- the most memorable. Could be aesthetics, difficulty, a combo of both, or something else. But to me it's the hole you first think of or talk about.

To me, a signature hole is the one that immediately comes to mind when you think of any course. Doesn't necessarily mean you enjoy the hole, either.

Last edited:
A signature hole is when I get a tough bogie save and sign the basket.

Hence signature.

My signature.

As you're a moderator, zenbot, I'm going to suppose that's a joke and that you aren't advocating tagging up disc courses. :\

Last edited:
As you're a moderator, zenbot, I'm going to suppose that's a joke and that you aren't advocating tagging up disc courses. :\
You read right through me.

I only sign for birdies. :|

*disclaimer*

I do not endorse the destruction or vandalism of any property.

for me it's some time of extraordinary landscape element that makes a signature hole (an overlook, bridge, water element etc.) that made that hole spectacular. I oon't think difficutly or "first hole I think of" has anything to do with it. Sometimes the first hole I think of is the most poorly designed hole that is impossibly difficult and a pain in the rear because of it's design. To me the term "signature" speaks of exceptional design...but then again I'm a landscape architect so my opinion is somewhat biased

I think of a signature hole as a well-designed hole that you remember and it is the first one that you talk about when asked about the course. The hole stands out in some way.

Both, but one could outweigh the other. I played a course in Hot Springs where the signature hole was a legit par 5, and although it wasn't "pretty" it was very signature. I could also see how people would call a pretty looking hole signature, because it's what you really remember once you leave the course.

Great example of a hole that is talked about by everyone that plays the course. There is only one other hole from that course that really stands out and gets talked about much at all.

Another hole that I think of as a signature for the course is #16 at Old Post in Russellville, AR. It is the only hole on the course where water comes into play, but it is a island/peninsula green and everyone talks about what they did on that hole.

Latest posts