• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you define a signature hole?

OK, fine. Here's Selah Lakeside's signature hole number 7 from the 564 foot "red" tee, and then looking back from the pin. I doubt you could see the basket if they showed it from the 890 foot "blue" tee.

9d0f0ed5_m.jpg

916a11b8_m.jpg

I think there's another thread on here from a couple years ago when this was discussed. Signature Hole is taken from ball golf and is the hole that they take pictures of to use in their print advertising.

I don't think all courses have a true signature hole. I think of a signature hole as the one hole that when standing on the tee you look at the hole and say, 'd*mn that's awesome'.

When we first walked the property at Chattooga Belle Farm to get a feel for the land before doing the design we got to one point of the property (138 acres) and everyone knew, even though it was unspoken, we would need to have a tee on that spot facing east because of the view. That ended up being hole 8. Even though I drive by that course everyday on my way to work and its a course I designed and play more rounds at then I caan count, I still take a moment to enjoy the view before throwing that hole.

The guys at Innova later told me that had more pictures of that hole submitted for their calendar than any other the year that course was installed...funny that not one of those made the cut...though hole 18 at the same course did make the cut and ended up on the cover that year.

For myself, the 3rd factor in defining a signature hole is its uniqueness. Playability (not necessarily difficulty), scenery, and uniqueness. It becomes a signature hole when I've rarely if ever seen another hole that looks like it or plays like it.

I'm less well-traveled, so I guess I've usually associated signature holes with beauty and difficulty more than uniqueness. Like the signature hole should somehow embody the overall course.

For me, a beautiful view or a solid drubbing sticks in the memory. :)

Not many people have mentioned an 18th hole, and I'd think there would more conscious effort put into making the 18th the signature hole.

I think that there are different criteria one can use to define "signature" hole. It can be difficulty, beautiful scenery, or "fun" factor. To me it is the hole that is the most memorable because of one or more of the mentioned criteria.

OK, fine. Here's Selah Lakeside's signature hole number 7 from the 564 foot "red" tee, and then looking back from the pin. I doubt you could see the basket if they showed it from the 890 foot "blue" tee.

9d0f0ed5_m.jpg

916a11b8_m.jpg

LOL......I would have to throw a hydra or dragon on this hole....or else I would probably lose alot of discs.

I know it's a signature hole when I step up to the tee and start hearing the finale from the fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth.

Then I know it's a signature hole.

Doesn't happen that often.

(... maybe I should start carrying my ipod around more ...)

Hole 9 at Whistler's Bend is scenic, fun, and a somewhat unique challenge. 355 down towards the river somewhat gently, then behind the basket there is 50-60' feet of steeper roll away zone until cliffs drop towards the river.

a13852b4.jpg

4d09cbad.jpg

Later in the course though, many consider 14 the sig hole here but I like 9.

6c113f0d.jpg

bb62a231.jpg

Flyboy #3 should be the basis of all signature holes.

I agree #3 is Flyboy's signature, although initially it was the runway shot (18 was it?) that was considered "signature." The runway was more novelty in my experience with #3 signifying what Flyboy was about. However I don't see how this should affect what constitutes signature holes on other courses. How is it necessarily a basis or standard?

This signature hole to me stands out more than any of the others. When I think of a "signature hole" I think of H!ghland H!lls DGC's hole #7, that plays up a beautiful as well as serene waterfall. When you are the only person out there on the course that hole really stands out. The beauty as well as the sounds of nature almost make you forget you are there to sling plastic.

Yeah, I yearn for the experience again...

Attachments

• Flyboys on #3.jpg
    Flyboys on #3.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Laws, Flyboy #3.jpg
    Laws, Flyboy #3.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCjhfRYXzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excsFOrABBM

These are two signature holes at Trace Gold in Tupelo, MS. No pics of these, only vids. What makes these a signature hole is the view for starters. Also, the risk reward factor of both holes plays a part in the signature hole status.

I think the main factor in a signature hole of a course is your thought when you first step up to the tee. If you step up and grab your driver and just drive one, it probably isn't special. If you step up to the teepad and take a deep breath and take in the hole for a second, it is "signature" IMO.

One way to have a Signature hole defined, is to label one the signature hole on the tee sign...

At least that's what they've done at Ft Steilacoom,WA. Right on the tee sign ... "Signature Hole"

I'm sure a quick inquiry with a local would get the backstory to it, as I'm sure there's something historical behind it - It's an interesting hole, kinda challenging multishot hole, but not overtly dramatically different from the rest of the offerings.

Have you played it?

It's something that you can't appreciate until you're standing at the teepad and you say to yourself,

"holy ****"

It's not due to difficulty or even just the aesthetic of it, it's something about it being a disc golf course on one of the most awesome pieces of property, with the most amazing, generous people all being tied together by a ****ing incredible disc golf courses in the world.

The experience is beyond what I can type out or properly describe, something you just have to witness for yourself.

IMO a signature hole for a course is: a hole that stands out from the others on that course and is usually mentioned when talking about that course. It could be a great view from a tee pad or simply the longest hole on that course or maybe its the only water hazard.

100% of this is true! It has all the features. Not very hard to score good on, but when you step onto the rubber tee, looking down the fairway with the sun coming through on a nice day in the spring, nothing beats it! It really should be considered the basis of all signature holes :thmbup:

Have you played it?

It's something that you can't appreciate until you're standing at the teepad and you say to yourself,

"holy ****"

It's not due to difficulty or even just the aesthetic of it, it's something about it being a disc golf course on one of the most awesome pieces of property, with the most amazing, generous people all being tied together by a ****ing incredible disc golf courses in the world.

The experience is beyond what I can type out or properly describe, something you just have to witness for yourself.