• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you discover new lines?

My first time playing the hole, I am just looking for the basket and looking for any line and take the most obvious. Then as I walk to hole and look back, it gives me more of an idea; maybe there was a blind gap that couldnt bee seen from the tee. Also look up. is something more open if you throw higher?

Then there is a lot by accident. I actually have a hole I had played alot and didnt realise they cut out a path to the left you couldnt see from the tee but I hit it hyzering just a bit too much. Thought I was in the schule deep but actually had a decent putt atempt.

What I've been told: Always try to find a minimum of 5 different lines before you throw your shot. The most obvious one isn't always the best.

Also, go out to course workdays. If you help out for a good four or five hours, you might get permission to cut your own line. :thmbup:

One other thing I have learned: Sometimes the best line involves a shorter tee shot, which will open up an easier approach to the basket. Completely goes against the grain, so it took me a long time to learn this.

An average, an easy three is better than lots of fours, a few threes, and a tiny chance at birdie.

What I've been told: Always try to find a minimum of 5 different lines before you throw your shot. The most obvious one isn't always the best.

Also, go out to course workdays. If you help out for a good four or five hours, you might get permission to cut your own line. :thmbup:

I Like that advice right there.

Up here in the wooded NW I try and find new lines all the time. In my opinion the only way to find new lines is to throw them and try and them.

only time im ever wowd/surprised by new lines is when the pros come and play courses i play frequently. i tripped at last years wintertime open at the worlds first dg course when nikko hit a 4'x4' gap at about 150' from the tee to spike-hyzer up and over the tunnel on a 330' hole.

needless to say, its not a route that mere mortals like me would ever try and shoot.

I heard somewhere that people will look back down the hole towards the tee from the basket. Does anyone do that?

Constantly look for lines or areas that cut to the basket; on your walk to the tee, at the tee, walking down the fairway, and finally at the basket. There have been times where I'll see an opening halfway down the fairway and the next time I play that hole that line seems so blatantly obvious I wonder how I missed it.

at the tee i look for the wide hyzer, wide anhyzer, flez shot, OH shot, skip off of road, or anything that can be used to avoid trees/schule crap/other obstacles. I would look for roller opprotunities, but i don't know how to throw that yet so i dont really look for those.

It's a really simple process for me, I simply try to find my best line for a particular hole. Every time I play it, I don't just do what I did last time. I think about what the weather is doing and what throws I'm doing well lately.

Sometimes I can ForeHand...but I never use it enough to have it all the time...

Other days I'm HOT with tomahawks and Thumbers...last round I played there was almost no wind down low...but up about 15' it was just crazy. Overhead shots just would not behave...I used one in an emergency and I got it through the gap...but I couldn't turn back and ended up on the other side of the rough..

So I find new lines on a hole by playing a hole to my strengths each time I hit the pad, instead of using my old lines...you learn something about a hole every time you play it. Once you can always birdie a hole in more than one line...it's beaten, you've figured out it's trick and it's no fun anymore...That's why we need more courses for guys that have beaten all their local courses.

\/\/

I heard somewhere that people will look back down the hole towards the tee from the basket. Does anyone do that?

I do that all the time, especially on new courses. When I want to find new lines, I'll normally walk all around on the hole, looking at the basket and tee from all different angles.

Latest posts