• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you measure distance in an open field?

evansr10

Par Member
So I was posting alot of crap about my sucky distance when I realized that I really have no way of measuring. They were all guesses. How many paces times 2 feet. I may be cheating myself out of some distance. What is the best way to measure distance if you don't have access to a football field with yard markers?

Measuring tape or wheel, Google Earth, Laser, etc

I find that pacing things out works pretty well. Measure out 15 feet with a tape measure with every 3' marked. Figure out how long a 3' stride is. Check it on a football field (10 steps for every 10 yards). Check it out on DG holes (if you trust the measurements on the tee signs). You can get pretty dialed in on your accuracy if you practice a little.

Well I was in marching band so I can hot 5 yards in 8 steps pretty consistently. Other than that, at one point I found a site that used Google Earth and it would tell you the distance between two points which I just chose a few 'landmarks' on the side of the field.

Use a hole with distance marked.

Guesstimate how far you throw relative to that.

If the actual distance seems a little shorter than the distance marked, add 50' to what you claim on the internet.

If the actual distance seems a little longer than the distance marked, or you just dont like your guestimated distance, add 150' for internet distance.

I made myself a portable driving range. I have a string of twine with knots at each end measuring exactly 50' and about 6 differently colored painted ~2' long dowl rods. I find a "tee" spot and measure the whole thing out in a field putting the dowl rod markers every 50'.

Works pretty well and takes 5 min to set up. The twine is nothing to carry and I used pretty thin dowls so they aren't much weight either. I can tie the whole thing to the side of my bag.

I've also set this up at a wide open hole at the local course on a Tuesday afternoon with a buddy. No worries.

For more accuracy we tied another 50' twine with knots every 10' that we can stretch between markers if we want to get really picky. ;)

Instead of trying to take 3 foot steps, it works better to figure out how many normal paces you take to in 10, 20, or 30 yards. Then you can just walk to your disc like normal and count the paces.

I personally pace out any distance I want to know. I play ball golf and I always pace out my yardage from one of the yardage markers that are spaced out every 50 yds.

One time I had a guy on the golf team with me say that I wouldn't be able to accurately pace out exactly 100 yds. I knew I could do it so we went to the football field and he blindfolded me and made me start on one of the goal lines and I took 100 paces totally blindfolded to a foot and a half of the other goal line. I thought it was pretty good and then he told me that he started me 2 feet short of the first goal line, so I was actually within 6 inches of exactly 100 yds.

I now pace out my disc throws if I ever want to know how far I really throw them ;)

For most people though, Google Earth is a great way to figure out distances. I also like the rope and knots post.

Last edited:
I use a wheel. It measures in meters though, so I have to do the conversions.

Wheel at home depot for $25 and some cones I got from my evicted neighbor.
The wheels nice cause if you pass your cones you thought was your range, you can easily walk it with the wheel. It's also nice that dg mi. Has both wheel and sign measurements:)

I just downloaded Google Earth and was disappointed that my field was exactly the length I thought it was. 300 ft. Which means I suck as much as I thought I did.

No body uses calculus?!

...and we wonder why China is catching up to us...;)

No biggie man, Seriously though- putters putters putters- no joke.
Even if the guys you see that are better don't, either they have learned it already, or they really aren't that good.

A measuring wheel is great. And cones or a paint mark every 25'.

I just downloaded Google Earth and was disappointed that my field was exactly the length I thought it was. 300 ft. Which means I suck as much as I thought I did.

Your game will improve the more you play and distance will get better.
Your PUTTING will win the game though!

I'm not Chinese but, I believe it's spelled nobody

Ha! Well played.:eek:

I'm too busy trying to find my way out of that stupid room game to bother with checking grammar/spelling.:mad:

Latest posts