• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you motivate yourself to go play when the weather isn't perfect?

NSDallin

Birdie Member
Ive been bad lately about planning on waking up and going golfing, but cancelling when I realize its rainy or windy. How do you get over this and get yourself out on the course anyways?

Windy is fun.

As for rain, I don't.

Hot (or cold) is where I need a word with myself. I sit myself down and remind myself that I don't get to play that often, might as well get out there now.

I sometimes give myself an ultimatum. Im always an hour and a half early to the vicinity of work due to my sons daycare schedule. So, go play a round or two and the local 9holer, or go punch in early and work. Play wins out lol

For me it's easy. I have limited opportunities to practice during the week. If my free time coincides with rain or wind or less than ideal weather, I have to suck it up or not get to play at all.

I mean, if it rains on tournament day, I'm not going to bail. I might as well prepare for those types of conditions when I can.

I don't. It's a discretionary activity. It'll be there tomorrow.

My Dad passed away in April. I've played a grand total of three holes and some putting practice since. I'm sure the itch will return sometime, but right now I don't feel up to it. If conditions are less than ideal, even less so.

Last edited:
If you have to motivate yourself to play, then maybe it's not the game for you.

Wind is fun, snow is fine, heat? well, I take my time.

I won't play in a washout though.

Bad weather makes the mundane interesting again. Some of my favorite rounds at home courses I've played hundreds of times have been as storm clouds are rolling in and gusts are blowing everything around.

If you never play in the wind, you'll never learn how to properly manage it. If there's one thing my first home course taught me, it's how to play the wind instead of letting it play me.

That being said if I'm not in the mood, I have plenty of other hobbies I can enjoy. At the end of the day I golf for fun.

Giving myself the best chance when I go up against my competitive buddies. Thinking about this helps motivate me to focus and put in more practice time.

I know having someone to play with makes a big difference for me. If I got a friend who wants to throw some discs, it's much more likely to happen than if I'm just trying to get out of the house by myself. So sometimes, if the weather isn't great, I'll still text a friend or two to see if any of them want to go. If one says yes, then I've kind of forced myself into it.

I don't play when it's windy (20/25+mph) Our courses are littered with 80 year old Hemlocks that have blown down in windstorms. It's truly not safe to play those days. I also don't play when it's raining more than a drizzle. No matter how many towels I have, I just can't get my hands dry, my game suffers, and I just end up miserable, so I don't bother.

I've been retired for a few years now, so my motivation is the exercise and just to get out of the house. It keeps me from having to get a job to combat boredom. It doesn't hurt that I still love to play, and I love my local courses.

Ive been bad lately about planning on waking up and going golfing, but cancelling when I realize its rainy or windy. How do you get over this and get yourself out on the course anyways?

I ask myself "self, will you enjoy this round, or will it be a chore?" If I'll still enjoy it and just really want to get out and throw, I'll make the most of it. The best way to learn to play in the wind, after all, is to play in the wind. As for the rain, if I got the latest rainfly for my A14 I'd probably enjoy it a little bit more, but when it's just dumping rain I typically pass. No grip, everything gets drenched, it's just no fun at all.

If you have a goal of becoming some sort of really good pro, then that should be all the motivation you need. If your goal is just to have some fun playing golf and maybe do well in some tournaments every now and then, then don't bother.

Personally, I don't bother playing in bad weather. If I get stuck in bad weather playing in a tournament, oh well, I just suck it up and do my best. But for casual rounds? Nah, I have stuff at home I'd rather be doing.

Rain... Sure it is doable with good gear tho but wind?! Some of the most insane shots ive ever thrown or seen were on crazy windu days. Play in the wind for sure it can be a blast and make putting hilarious. Upside down putts ftw!

I mean a lot of peeps here play in conditions with iced over teepads in freezing temps, knee high snow and then some jungle humidity just after the mudfest drys out from winter. Gotta want it like ian says.........

Loving the game is all the motivation I need. The flight of a nice drive on an open hole, carving a line through the trees with a mid, birdie runs from 100 ft out... that's fun no matter what the weather is. If its sub freezing, I just dress for the cold. I actually have fun playing snow or ice rounds... skips off the ice can really be fun. Gusty winds I can deal with, but it wreaks havoc on my putting... but I'm having fun despite wind added strokes.

About the only weather I really won't play in is rain or upper 90's heat... sucks all the fun out of it for me.

Last edited:
I don't. It's a discretionary activity. It'll be there tomorrow.

My Dad passed away in April. I've played a grand total of three holes and some putting practice since. I'm sure the itch will return sometime, but right now I don't feel up to it. If conditions are less than ideal, even less so.

Word. My dad passed away few years ago March and totally get what you mean. I didnt even really post around here during all the BS. Lucky to have so many courses so close and can get out anywhere I go for work etc.. Hope DG always stays fun for you regardless of lifes crap- Take care!

upper 90's heat... sucks all the fun out of it for me.

Don't move here :)

We'll go weeks with temps breaking the 100's. Takes some getting used to...at least most courses here have plenty of shade. I feel for our DG brothers down in Texas, New Mexico etc.

When I worked in an office I would play regardless of conditions. Since I went back to working on the farm and often have to work outside in bad weather I no longer feel any desire to play dg in the rain- wind, heat, cold all bother me much less.

i just think about throwing circles in the woods. Done. I'm motivated.

I get Bogey's point about the heat though. I figured my trip to Illinois last weekend would get me out of the NC heat for a few days. Wrong. Played Citizen's Park in Belleville, IL at 7:30 AM it must have been 80+ with humidity. Played Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis at 9:30 AM and it was already 91. By the time I got to Indiana to play Cupertino's Course it was 95.

Latest posts